Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

Postby Sam. » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:08 pm

all-lag wrote:is 10.00 a good hydromiter reading for a finished TPW

1.000 would be better :teasing-neener: .990 would be perfect ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby shifty » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:06 am

Hi
New member here with a question. I have just put this wash on and have a question about running it through my reflux still.
So do i discard the first 100mls or so and make cuts every 250mls like i would when running a pot still or do i just discard the first 100mls and wait till the temp starts to rise before collecting the tails as you would when running a turbo?

I have run uncle jessie's sour mash making cuts and was really impressed with the flavour but as I'm running this through a reflux I'm kinda confused.

Cheers. (I introduced myself too)
shifty

equipment: Home made column reflux on modified keg performing well

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:30 am

Welcome mate.

Cuts are vital if you want to make quality spirits, no matter what still or wash you are using :)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby all-lag » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:40 pm

when you do the spirit run the HBS told me to water it down o make it 40% is this right or do you just pour your stripping run
thanks
all-lag

equipment: Looking at building a 50-100L still i have been using a T500 for over a year and just would like to try it on a bigger scale

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:18 pm

HBS told you correctly.You water it down to 40%....Its a safety thing as 40% is no concided so flamable
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby all-lag » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:56 pm

thanks yummyrum
all-lag

equipment: Looking at building a 50-100L still i have been using a T500 for over a year and just would like to try it on a bigger scale

Postby Andy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:01 pm

all-lag wrote:when you do the spirit run the HBS told me to water it down o make it 40% is this right or do you just pour your stripping run
thanks

40% or below :handgestures-thumbupleft: (and keep in mind the type of boiler u have. u need to make sure that the element wont be exposed near the end of the run cos u put it too high in the keg :angry-banghead: )
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby choppy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:59 am

I put down my first "proper" TPW. It started at 1070 at 12pm on 30/7 and this morning is down to 990. I have an aquarium heater keeping ti at 30 degrees (my last attempt stalled badly with no heating and super cold nights).

I've racked it into a 25L cube and put it in the fridge at 3 degrees.

Will this be right to run through my HBS refulx still in 2 days?

throw out the first 100ml and then make 150ml cuts about right or should I make the cuts 100ml?
choppy

equipment: PD reflux still
home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby pulsetech » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:07 am

Yes you will be fine
pulsetech

equipment: 4"

Postby slodki » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:52 pm

Just ran my first TPW last week. Before this I knew nothing else but turbos and T500 still. I never used to cut before as well (only get rid of first 100ml foreshots).

Never going back to turbo's again. Sure the output is a bit less. But the quality.....

On a T500 with 25L charge I tossed the first 200ml and made 200ml cuts. Whatever isn't good is going to feints jar.

Based on the diluted turbo's you always had to filter to get a drinkable product. Now what I have sitting here unfiltered is just about the same as the filtered. I might just filter to get that extra polish.

I've got 3x 25l wash's fermenting as we speak. Need to build a larger still, the poor T500 won't keep up with the fermenting.

I'm sure I have some 4" copper lying around somewhere....what to build.....
slodki

equipment: FSD Neutralizer

Postby OzKev » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:25 pm

slodki wrote:Just ran my first TPW last week. Before this I knew nothing else but turbos and T500 still. I never used to cut before as well (only get rid of first 100ml foreshots).

Never going back to turbo's again. Sure the output is a bit less. But the quality.....

On a T500 with 25L charge I tossed the first 200ml and made 200ml cuts. Whatever isn't good is going to feints jar.

Based on the diluted turbo's you always had to filter to get a drinkable product. Now what I have sitting here unfiltered is just about the same as the filtered. I might just filter to get that extra polish.

I've got 3x 25l wash's fermenting as we speak. Need to build a larger still, the poor T500 won't keep up with the fermenting.

I'm sure I have some 4" copper lying around somewhere....what to build.....

You could build a pot still. Then strip the TPW using the pot still, and use the low wines into the existing setup. Also when you want a whiskey or rum you are already setup.
OzKev

equipment: 50 L boiler with 2 x 2200w elements, and voltage controller
- Pot still with a 2" column, 1/2" liebig, with a few ogee attachments.
- 3" Modular Boka
Still Spirit Super Reflux
Still Spirit T500

All Grain brewery (BIAB, 1V and a 3v)
Temp controlled fermenting

Postby mattcoffs » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:51 pm

I'm new to distilling, but have been making beer for a few years now...

This tomato paste concept blew my mind, i have two identical washes at 25l, done 24hours apart. The only difference being the tomato paste.

The one without the tomato paste was the older. To my surprise, the older of the two has moved from 1.080 to 1.026 in approx 5 days. While the tomato paste version has moved from 1.080 to 1.010 in 4.

Pretty cool! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
mattcoffs

equipment: T500 boiler. 2" boka. 2" pot. 100ltr SS stockpot boiler build

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:35 pm

mattcoffs wrote:I'm new to distilling, but have been making beer for a few years now...

This tomato paste concept blew my mind, i have two identical washes at 25l, done 24hours apart. The only difference being the tomato paste.

The one without the tomato paste was the older. To my surprise, the older of the two has moved from 1.080 to 1.026 in approx 5 days. While the tomato paste version has moved from 1.080 to 1.010 in 4.

Pretty cool! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah mate, the little buggers love a good environment with plenty of nutes to help them on their merry way :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Sinerjee » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:19 pm

Has anyone tried cold crashing the TPW to make it clear a bit better? It's something I was taught to do with beer to get the most amount of yeast and crud to settle before bottling but wasn't sure if it would work or was needed for a TPW.
It's in my brew fridge cooling down now anyway after spending a week in it at 30 degrees fermenting.
Sinerjee

equipment: FSD 4" Modular Pot
FSD 4" Packed Section, RC and Gin Caddy added.
30L Keg running on Gas.

Postby Redux » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:45 pm

once mine finish bubbling i just turn off the brewroom heater... they go from 22 down to about 10c and after a week you can see right through the drum... not quite cold crashing, but ive no chance to run during the week anyways..

ive heard that you can run these pretty cloudy... but since i have the time i just wait... it always amazes me how good the product is... so simple!

redux
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby Teddysad » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:46 pm

best way is either Cold Crashing or time both work
Teddysad

equipment: FSD 4"SSG with packed column 50l Boiler keg. Alex 25 for smaller scale runs

Postby Redux » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:51 pm

how long in the fridge Sinerjee?
Redux

equipment: 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on a 50lt gasser keg ...
set up in a wee shed....

Postby Sinerjee » Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:57 pm

I've only turned the temperature down about an hour or so ago so it's only down to 23 degrees from 30. I'll probably let it cool down then leave for a couple of days like I do with beer. It won't be run until my new still turns up anyway so will just sit there waiting till than anyway.
Sinerjee

equipment: FSD 4" Modular Pot
FSD 4" Packed Section, RC and Gin Caddy added.
30L Keg running on Gas.

Postby Sam. » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:33 am

I rather put my wash in the boiler warm as it cuts down the boil up time :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:42 am

sam_and_liv wrote:I rather put my wash in the boiler warm as it cuts down the boil up time :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:text-+1: by a fair bit too

And I have not noticed a difference between cloudy or cleared tpw product

Edit: if your going for a true neutral it would be stripped first and ran again anyway :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development