Commercial cake/candy flavourings - anyone tied these?

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:49 pm

Hey I've had a request to make a choc/mint liqueur but they want it to be clear?

I'm not even sure how I'd flavour it even if they were happy for it to be brown/green and murky!
:roll:

Have any of you tried cake/candy flavours?

Was wondering about LorAnn flavours like this one: http://bakingpleasures.com.au/p493/lorann-mint-chocolate-chip-oil-flavour

I can't find anything in a supermarket here in SA that would be similar, anyone have any experience, thoughts, warnings etc?

(the apple one looks good, so does the banana, might make a nice schnaps?) :))
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: Commercial cake/candy flavourings - anyone tied these?

Postby eminiM » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:33 pm

I've tried a few of this companies extracts.

Some are great, some not so much but the prices are reasonable and they do sell bulk.

http://stores.ebay.com/OliveNation
eminiM

equipment: VM all the way!

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:28 am

"seller does not ship to Australia"

:-(
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: Commercial cake/candy flavourings - anyone tied these?

Postby SBB » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:41 am

Ive noticed that Gloria Jean Coffee shops sell a chocolate syrup / flavouring which is clear.......Have no idea what it tastes like or if it would be any good for this purpose. I was eyeing it off a while ago as I was thinking about trying to make a chocolate- chillie liqueur
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:21 am

I had some of the LorAnn oils delivered - the apple and the english toffee which smell amazing - have put the apple into an apple schnapps for some apple-tinis for a party this weekend.

I got a clear choc flavoring from Caroline's Sugar Art here in SA and it does not smell or taste good at all! Still I have plenty of neutral so might try it with peppermint oil.

Might hit Gloria Jeans in rundle mall today for some of theirs you mention.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Return to Recipe Development