trying to find - Guava Recipe

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

trying to find - Guava Recipe

Postby Skara » Mon May 11, 2020 6:31 pm

Gday all,

Bit of a long shot but... I'm trying to locate a recipe I've used a few times now to make a guava mash, which I seem to have destroyed.... it used to be online, easy to fine and had a South African URL (.za) but I can't for the life of me find it anymore.

I have 55KG of processed guava (frozen now) and I cant remember the ratio's I used, the end product was spot on and I dont want to runt he chance of ruining 55kg of fruit. I usually run pectin for about 6 hours to break up the fruit a little more and rip the pectin apart before giving it a pretty good mix with a SDS cement mixer and then bagging it up into individual BIAB before popping it in the fermented with the right amount of sugar. its these sugar ratios I am trying to locate.

If I cant find it what SG do you think I should be trying to hit? I'm looking for a good fermentation with out stressing the yeast to much and potentially introducing off tastes, I'll be using ec1118

I also cant remember how much yeast nutrient, what PH it was running at or what SG I've had the best luck with in the past .... Going to run to ignore the work from home rule tomorrow and go into work as I might have a copy on a USB stick there.

Any help or suggestions would be great

Cheers
Skara

equipment: 50l SS Keg 2400w element
2" copper boka
2" pot still

Re: trying to find - Guava Recipe

Postby OzDistilling » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:33 pm

Skara wrote:Gday all,

Bit of a long shot but... I'm trying to locate a recipe I've used a few times now to make a guava mash, which I seem to have destroyed.... it used to be online, easy to fine and had a South African URL (.za) but I can't for the life of me find it anymore.

I have 55KG of processed guava (frozen now) and I cant remember the ratio's I used, the end product was spot on and I dont want to runt he chance of ruining 55kg of fruit. I usually run pectin for about 6 hours to break up the fruit a little more and rip the pectin apart before giving it a pretty good mix with a SDS cement mixer and then bagging it up into individual BIAB before popping it in the fermented with the right amount of sugar. its these sugar ratios I am trying to locate.

If I cant find it what SG do you think I should be trying to hit? I'm looking for a good fermentation with out stressing the yeast to much and potentially introducing off tastes, I'll be using ec1118

I also cant remember how much yeast nutrient, what PH it was running at or what SG I've had the best luck with in the past .... Going to run to ignore the work from home rule tomorrow and go into work as I might have a copy on a USB stick there.

Any help or suggestions would be great

Cheers

Firstly, processed or frozen Guava pulp may contain a preservative, chich may/may not inhibit fermentation. Check the suppliers ingredients well.

Guava pulp has most of the base nutrients that are needed, especially aminos etc. I would add 1g/kg of pulp of DAP for safety. A general nutrient mix never hurts.

Generally guava pulp is not that rich in fermentable sugars, but as always depends on ripeness. Most guava is picked early as the consumers prefer a higher acid level over sweetness. But expect say a 10% fructose w/v content. But do check your pH after the DAP addition (DAP is a pH buffer to 7.5) and ensure your in the 6.6-7.5 pH range.

Use any decent yeast, EC1118 is perfect, ferment fast, as guava's like most tropical fruit are packed with wild yeasts.

Dont get too hung up on the SG or FG, just make sure the attenuation is complete. Being a 100% fructose wash, you may get som eoff flavours as the yeast starves for glucose. Add 2 gm/kg of dextrose to solve this.
OzDistilling

equipment: Brewhaus

Return to Recipe Development