Glittery Gin

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Glittery Gin

Postby Carol » Sat May 16, 2020 11:18 am

Hi guys
I have seen some commercially produced "Unicorn Tears" gin. It is iridescent and the colours swirl around. There was also a commercial product called Viniq ( moscato and gin and some sort of flavouring). It seems that you can recreate this effect with lustre dust from the cake decorating shops - but this is very expensive for tiny quantities. I think that it is the titanium dioxide that gives the swirly effect. You can buy that from cake decorating suppliers. It is used to make buttercream icing whiter ( among other things).
Before I start my own series of experiments I thought I would check with the forum first to see if any one has tried this.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Re: Glittery Gin

Postby RC Al » Sat May 16, 2020 12:50 pm

Sounds pretty cool

Cant say ive seen anything anywhere on doing that, people seem to concentrate on getting rid of the louche lols, probably as its more a presentation/marketing gimick thing than a flavour contribution

Just lightly coat the bottle and pretend its in the drink? lols

Found these guys https://www.goldleaf.com.au/edible-mica-pigments, they have a few different shimmers
Last edited by RC Al on Sat May 16, 2020 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Permaclutter » Sat May 16, 2020 1:24 pm

Lustre dust is one name used for it, cheap as for the effect. The chunkier ones are not as good as the fine ones. My adult child measures it out using a tooth pick, it takes that little.
Permaclutter

equipment: 80l horizontal keg, 3" x1300mm ss packed column Block head CM with gin basket

Postby Maxxx » Sat May 16, 2020 5:32 pm

Wasn’t titanium dioxide a questionable chemical in women’s makeup and nail polish :o
Don’t think I would knowingly be ingesting too much of it.....
Maxxx

equipment: 100 litre stripper
Double retort Caribbean rum still under construction.

Postby Carol » Sat May 16, 2020 6:22 pm

Hi Maxxx
It seems that there are various grades of titanium dioxide and the one used for cake decorating is food grade. As far as I can tell a very small amount goes a long way. It seems that it is used in a lot of food already - I think it is listed as E171. More research needed on my part.
Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby scythe » Sun May 17, 2020 8:44 am

Betty Crocker pre-made icing lists it as an ingredient.
Not endorsing it just making mention.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Return to Recipe Development