Sphagnum Moss for that peat Flavour

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Sphagnum Moss for that peat Flavour

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:08 pm

G'day Tubbsy,
First thanks for putting it up as I knew you would mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now i have been sampling today and I have to say that staple Laphroaig QC leaves a type of plastic taste :angry-banghead: yes it goes down like silk but that is the way I make my stuff :handgestures-thumbupleft: I only sampled No.2 and I have to say it tasted way better leaving a greater mouth feel :handgestures-thumbupleft: I then went to sample my own and with a greater hit being a young aged I got a similar taste so this 1700's method I was told about is a forgotten thing that once I was told I just had to try it. By simply putting sphagnum moss in whisky and re distilling it will give the peatness taste. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

As far as smoke yes I'm going to venture into it and build a little fire place out the back of my shed. So if you want to send up some of your peat it can be done on my new setup.

Now lets look at this sphagnum moss has been the staple but what about using other moss like I have around my shed. It's like a grassy moss and covers the ground like a blanket and when it rains it puts out shoots. Now like I said I could bring up a carpet of moss and while green put it thru my peat fire. I do have a jug with about a litre of old cfw so this may be an option just to see the outcome, before using that 3 litres of AG aged whisky I had tabled to use.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby tubbsy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:19 pm

Laphroaig QC leaves a type of plastic taste :angry-banghead:

Yeah, it took me a while to get a taste for it, but now I have I can't get enough :dance: :obscene-drinkingdrunk: :dance:
Last edited by tubbsy on Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tubbsy

equipment: 50L keg with a 3" x 4 plate column. Convertable to a pot still with worm condensor.

Postby EziTasting » Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:41 pm

tubbsy wrote:

Yeah, it took me a while to get a taste for it, but now I have I can't get enough :dance: :obscene-drinkingdrunk: :dance:

Laphroaig :puke-huge: I am definitely in the ‘Hate it!’ Camp

Don’t mind Smokey and/or Peaty, but Laphroaigh is something else!!!!!!!!!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:01 pm

tubbsy wrote:

At the expense of this whole concept of putting some sphagnum moss in some whisky and distilling it.

Sorry but this thread is all about that just try and see, now where there this is tested and now proven to have a peat taste I couldn't explain I do think it is a winner even with out the smoke :handgestures-thumbupleft: But that won't stop me from trying :obscene-drinkingdrunk: :obscene-drinkingdrunk: :obscene-drinkingdrunk: to get that smoke feeling :music-deathmetal: :music-deathmetal: :music-deathmetal:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:26 pm

I have been trying to think different options for malting barley. I was thinking I could use my old worm farm. Following this topic I have to wonder if the smoke was pumped into the drain hole at the bottom of the worm farm the smoke may well permeate the barley layer in the first tray. Just a thought guys
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:44 pm

Wellsy wrote:I have been trying to think different options for malting barley. I was thinking I could use my old worm farm. Following this topic I have to wonder if the smoke was pumped into the drain hole at the bottom of the worm farm the smoke may well permeate the barley layer in the first tray. Just a thought guys

Just grab some spapghum moss from the local and add to your stuff, leave it for a few days and distil and age it then wake up to a peat taste :handgestures-thumbupleft:
l
This method was done in the 1700's and i have proven it works albeit with out smoke :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: So just try it mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

What we need is a few more people to try this method so we can put it the the tried and true forum

Cheers Bryan
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:06 pm

G'Day Guy's,
Well i had to go back to page 5 of my posts to find this thread :handgestures-thumbupleft: with the moccona jar labelled 20/7/20 peat project the angels have really taken their share with only 200 ml left and when I tested it for the ABV 42% was the reading so just had to have a dram and don't worry before this post is done another one will be taken :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Yep after that second dram I'm going to declare this is a nice drop with some peaty flavour with it hanging on for a bit after :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So for a weekend project then forget about for a year is really worth it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So with this week ridden off time to go look at some of my brandies and go find more moss to put another down to forget and this time I'll put it thru my glass still once the new adaptor arrives.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:27 pm

Now i do have some of Tubby's samples here and just had a dram of that laprreiog what ever it's name is :laughing-rolling: and man the in the face came thru true and fore :angry-banghead: then that same plastic taste :puke-huge:

Man the more I taste this stuff, a dram of mine and a dram of Tubby's gotta say this project is clearly winning hands down but still got more to test :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Previous

Return to Recipe Development