Licorice Root Vodka

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Licorice Root Vodka

Postby Wellsy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:48 pm

I think this is going to be more like “Off Grid Ouzo “ than anything else.

Will let you know how it turns out Bryan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:01 pm

Wellsy wrote:I think this is going to be more like “Off Grid Ouzo “ than anything else.

Will let you know how it turns out Bryan

Mate each day you stir have a good whiff as it only gets better :handgestures-thumbupleft: and make sure when you do the spirit run it is nice and slow. Let the cuts age for 2 days so the angels can have a share :laughing-rolling: then blend away and leave it for another 2 weeks to fully develop :handgestures-thumbupleft: but as always a dram or seven :obscene-drinkingchug: is taken as the wait is a killer :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:25 pm

I am only doing a 2.5 litre run mate.
What size cuts would you recommend. And do you make the cuts based on what normally happens with tails and heads ?
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 5:48 pm

Wellsy wrote:I am only doing a 2.5 litre run mate.
What size cuts would you recommend. And do you make the cuts based on what normally happens with tails and heads ?

As your using hearts of hearts there will be bugger all heads mate but as I said above let the cut jars air for a day or 2 then the sniff test :handgestures-thumbupleft:
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Wellsy » Mon Feb 15, 2021 7:02 pm

Thanks Mate
I might take a few shot glasses then a couple of 200 ml jars then back to the shot glasses.
Wellsy

Postby Wellsy » Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:44 pm

Just an update on my attempt at this. I believe I have made a couple of mistakes and it has not turned out as nice as I hoped. Now it has time to develop the licorice is coming through super strong, but it has an almost sour aftertaste and think it needs to be sweeter. I will experiment with a sugar syrup and see what happens.
I raided our herb/spice cupboard when I made this so some stuff may have in fact been stale. The star anise was simple a weighed amount from the bottom of the jar rather than 1 and a half stars again that will have made a difference. I will try again with fresh stuff and maybe cut back a little on the licorice root.
I went with 2.5 litres @50%, 50 grams licorice root, 1 1/2 star anise, 1/2 a cinnamon stick.
This is worth pursuing and I need to give it a real chance by going with fresh ingredients
Wellsy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:47 pm

Ok just did the cuts on my licorice root run I did yesterday and man :scared-eek: why has it taken so long to make this stuff :angry-banghead: as it tastes bery nice :handgestures-thumbupleft:

now I decided to use the Crow method of cutting and put a small amount on a table spoon then added water using a syringe :handgestures-thumbupleft: as always with my 5 litre spirit runs I use 6 off 50ml beakers for the cut jars then onto 200ml cut jars. Then when the ABV drops use 6 more 50ml beakers for the tails, the last cut jar was put into the feints jar and the one before it was full of flavour. The first 2 cut jars had that metal taste so they went into feints aswell and ended up with 1.25 litres to 80%. Well around that figure as I do need a new hydrometer as top of mine was broken in that fall :angry-banghead:

Now just to be different I'm going to decanter this down to 65% and put some of my French Oak in off my big domino :handgestures-thumbupleft: This should give this recipe a new twist and it will be interesting to see just how it goes so it will in full view for testing purposes :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Wellsy » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:41 pm

So what was the recipe you used this time Bryan ?
Wellsy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Mar 14, 2021 2:57 pm

Wellsy wrote:So what was the recipe you used this time Bryan ?

In 1.5 litres of 90% about 80 grams of licorice root, 2 star of anise and one cinnamon stick, left for 3 weeks giving it a good stir every few days and tempered it using feints off my neutral spirit run. Now taking a D.P. off the run it did taste a tad ordinary :angry-banghead: but after a days airing it came good :handgestures-thumbupleft: Now usingthe table spoon for the cuts was a great idea and much better than the sniff test :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now putting this down on French Oak from my big domino should bring out some nice flavours and give this recipe a new twist

Cheers Bryan.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Aug 21, 2021 2:54 pm

G'Day Guy's,
Well this batch of Licorice Root was put down on 14/3/21 with about 7 grams of French Oak off my big domino and I just decantered a dram off using my scientific wine thief

Man :scared-eek: :scared-eek: :scared-eek: has this stuff matured nicely :handgestures-thumbupleft: and the after taste does hang around for a bit too with no hint of bitterness at all. Washing it around in the mouth gave a great out of this world licorice taste and the other herbs chime in nicely to finish off a great dram. swallowing it is like neutral with no bite and the taste just lives on.

Gotta say if done right this recipe is a top shelf drink :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby warramungas » Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:33 am

I don't like liquorice. :puke-huge:
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:24 am

G'day Guy's,
Just put down to macerate for a day a 5 litre batch :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Recipe

5 litres of 40% neutral
10 grams of crushed Star of anise
15 grams of crushed licorice root
50ml of my black pepper tinture
30ml of cinnamon tinture

I'll run this with my 2" pot still and looking forward to a D.P :obscene-drinkingchug: :laughing-rolling: But as always in this craft put the recipe down then hurry up and wait for that D.P :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Nathan02 » Sat Apr 16, 2022 8:07 pm

Going to have to give this recipe a chop one day rudster it does sound like a good one
Nathan02

equipment: 6" 4 plate bubbler with optional packed section.

Postby Hick1960 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:59 am

Hey Bryan
I want to try just a litre of this in my small gin still. Would it be fine to just divided all ingredients by 5?
And if so, seeing I only have dry spices, how much black pepper and cinnamon would you suggest?

Steve
Hick1960

equipment: Turbo 500
2” pot with Shotgun condenser
2” Boka
1” gin pot still
4” FSD Neutralizer

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:06 pm

G'Day Guy's,

Well just had to have a D.P :obscene-drinkingchug: and yep :handgestures-thumbupleft: this one ticks of as a nice licorice liqueur :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now the idea of giving the quantities was yes one can scale them down :handgestures-thumbupleft: As 99.9% of home distillers make 90% neutral it is easy to make tinctures so I do think that would be the go :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

Postby Wellsy » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:13 am

OK so maybe , just maybe, 99.9 % of home distiller do not produce neutral at 90% lol. Anybody with a reflux still or bubbler can do this, but those of us who still love our potties will struggle, so all you pottie owners out there don’t loose heart as this is still doable with a pot still. I must admit my first and only attempt was a poor result but that is not the recipe’s fault. I used stale herbs. It also needed 12 months to mellow out. So fresh herbs and try the mix at the start of the thread for those of us not into tinctures, this is a great lesson in how experiments with different flavours can achieve great results and thanks for sharing the recipe Bryan
Wellsy

Previous

Return to Recipe Development