Sort of Sparkling Shiraz

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Sort of Sparkling Shiraz

Postby Carol » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:12 pm

Playing around with supermarket fruit juice and EC-1118 yeast at the moment.

sort of sparkling shiraz 2mb.jpg

Test batches were Golden Circle Grape Juice. 200ml removed from the plastic container. 1/8 teaspoon of EC1118 sprinkled on top. Covered with cling wrap held by elastic band. Hope poked in top with sanitised needle.
Ferments out to a very dry sort of shiraz. Bottled in stubbies as for cider with sugar for secondary fermentation. About 8%ABV.
Looks like sparkling shiraz and sort of tastes like it. In the second and third test batches I added some weak stevia syrup ( 1 tablespoon and 2 tablespoons). I preferred the batch with 1 tablepoon stevia solution.

Bulk ferment has just been bottled. 11 x 2 litres grape juice, 5 g EC1118. For tannins I soaked 6 teabags in boiling water and left for an hour (teabags removed before adding to fermenter). For flavour I added liquid from 6 raspberry/strawberry teabags soaked for 1 hour ( wouldn't bother again). For sweetness I added 500g frozen raspberries in a strainer bag. Ended up with the equivalent of 72 stubbies. This had some sweetness but was not overly sweet. Needs to sit for a couple of weeks before I can try it.

As supermarket grape juice is not that interesting, I am thinking of adding some black pepper to the next batch, possibly with cherries instead of raspberries.
Watch this space!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Re: Sort of Sparkling Shiraz

Postby RuddyCrazy » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:36 pm

Hello Carol,
I've now done 2 batch's of 5 litres of Coolabah red bought for $13, mulled with mulling herbs and a cut up fresh navel orange for 3 hours and kept the temp below 70C so the alc wouldn't boil off. Stripped it in my 5 litre pot still then did a spirit run then onto French Oak for a year. Man the taste is nice and the people that have tasted all said Bryan you hit the nail on the head with this one.

When I taste it I get the full citrus taste but when SWMBO has a taste she says she tastes the cinnamon, in all I got a litre bottle of of this project and it won't be long before I do another.

Now I am only just up the hill and you are welcome to come over and have a taste :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Carol » Mon Apr 05, 2021 4:54 pm

Thanks Bryan.
I will add that to my list of experimentation.
The sort of sparkling shiraz is easy as a kit beer and you can drink it straight away but I like the idea of a pot stilled sort of brandy.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby The Dark Alchemist » Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:59 pm

Carol wrote:Playing around with supermarket fruit juice and EC-1118 yeast at the moment.

Test batches were Golden Circle Grape Juice. 200ml removed from the plastic container. 1/8 teaspoon of EC1118 sprinkled on top. Covered with cling wrap held by elastic band. Hope poked in top with sanitised needle.
Ferments out to a very dry sort of shiraz. Bottled in stubbies as for cider with sugar for secondary fermentation. About 8%ABV.

That's exactly what we used to do in Saudi; cask red or white grape juice, sugar, teabags and bakers yeast to make red or white wine. Necessity is the mother of invention!

The only difference was that I used a balloon on top of the plastic water container (from a water bubbler) instead of an airlock.....
The Dark Alchemist

equipment: FSD 200L Milk Can
FSD 4" Pot Still
FSD Neutraliser
Copper T-500

Postby Carol » Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:33 pm

Dark Alchemist
Very interesting - at least I have champagne yeast LOL! I think I need to get some balloons though!

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)

Postby The Dark Alchemist » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:53 am

Carol wrote:Dark Alchemist
Very interesting - at least I have champagne yeast LOL! I think I need to get some balloons though!

Cheers
Carol

5 grains of bakers yeast in a grolsch flip top bottle of white grape juice for a couple of weeks gave us champagne......... :-D
The Dark Alchemist

equipment: FSD 200L Milk Can
FSD 4" Pot Still
FSD Neutraliser
Copper T-500

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:57 am

The Dark Alchemist wrote:
Carol wrote:Playing around with supermarket fruit juice and EC-1118 yeast at the moment.

That's exactly what we used to do in Saudi; cask red or white grape juice, sugar, teabags and bakers yeast to make red or white wine. Necessity is the mother of invention!

The only difference was that I used a balloon on top of the plastic water container (from a water bubbler) instead of an airlock.....

Plastic bags work to air lock with a elastic band.
wynnum1

Return to Recipe Development