Not, Not Tequila

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Not, Not Tequila

Postby FatManDancing » Sat Apr 17, 2021 8:03 pm

I was a bit bummed when I first started actually researching distilling and the difficulty and the poor results you get from fermenting agave syrup

But then I watched that vid from bearded and Bored and thought and thought "Screw it, may as well try"

The key differences between my wash and his wash is

Mine started at 1063 OG

Ph was 5.6

I am using Distillamax TQ for yeast

https://youtu.be/4Wl9GzZmKkM
FatManDancing
Site Donor

equipment: 35l mash tun, 35l mash tun/boiler, 50l FSD milk can boiler with one 2400w element, four inch, four plate cheapo glasser W four inch FSD reflux condenser, two inch FSD basic pot and T500

Re: Not, Not Tequila

Postby BigRig » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:04 am

How will u run it ? Strip in pot then t500 or strip and spirit through the pot?

The yoghurt thing is interesting, will u do it ?
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby FatManDancing » Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:50 pm

I did not do the yogurt or sourdough thing. I wanted to do this one straight

I checked ph this morning. It had fallen to 3.6. I am not totally convinced this meter is accurate though I did calibrate it last night :? Maybe I just don't know how to use it

Ferment is not that vigorous but it is going. I have a rye grain mash next to it that I pitched into this morning and that is a machine gun

Just gonna pot still this one and try to get some raw oak for aging
Last edited by FatManDancing on Sun Apr 18, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FatManDancing
Site Donor

equipment: 35l mash tun, 35l mash tun/boiler, 50l FSD milk can boiler with one 2400w element, four inch, four plate cheapo glasser W four inch FSD reflux condenser, two inch FSD basic pot and T500

Postby Jedstar » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:00 am

I ran this and controlled Ph using oyster shells otherwise I followed the recipe spot on, ferment was vigorous and I didn't need to stir and adjust Ph at all and end result was excellent.
Jedstar

equipment: FSD 4" Visualizer Mk2 with 250mm Packed Section , FSD 50L Milk Can with 2 x 2400W Elements + FSD Controller . FSD 4” Modular Pot that has grown up.

Postby FatManDancing » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:43 pm

Thanks Jedstar. It is good to know this recipe really does work. Unfortunately I made a few boo boo's

I know, me make a mistake :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: but I did

I completely over corrected the low ph. it got to 6.2. Since this wash is prone to go acid quickly I left it alone, mostly and just made some minor adjustments

Temps crashed here at home. This is meant to be a hot ferment and on Monday I ordered four new heat belts. They finally came today and a little late. I have two heat belts and bubble insulation on the fermenter and barely maintaining 28 degrees

I checked again this morning and I was at 1030...ish
FatManDancing
Site Donor

Postby FatManDancing » Thu May 06, 2021 7:35 pm

Finally stilled this, stripping run

FG was 1010. Don't know why it did not go dry but... meh

Stilled down to collect sweet water but it may be a waste of time... or maybe not. There is a subtle flavour there that might be good for proofing down with

Also collected and chucked the backset in the freezer

Spirit run Friday night
FatManDancing
Site Donor

Postby Jedstar » Sat May 08, 2021 12:28 pm

When I completed my spirit on this I put it on French oak medium toast for a couple of weeks and some I just left as the white dog and OMG it was good, not a real strong tequila taste, but definitely a lovely unique spirit in it own right. As white dog it tastes almost like the Conquistador brand of tequila (which is an agave spirit no mention of blue agave plant any where on the label). I enjoyed mine greatly and I'll make it again sometime but the shipping of the syrup over to WA was expensive, and I'm now making great spirit using the recipes from this site like Nutrigrain and Mac Whiskey and the Mac Rum that are of equal quality and much less drama.
Jedstar

equipment: FSD 4" Visualizer Mk2 with 250mm Packed Section , FSD 50L Milk Can with 2 x 2400W Elements + FSD Controller . FSD 4” Modular Pot that has grown up.

Postby Radnelac » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:42 pm

Jedstar wrote:When I completed my spirit on this I put it on French oak medium toast for a couple of weeks and some I just left as the white dog and OMG it was good, not a real strong tequila taste, but definitely a lovely unique spirit in it own right. As white dog it tastes almost like the Conquistador brand of tequila (which is an agave spirit no mention of blue agave plant any where on the label). I enjoyed mine greatly and I'll make it again sometime but the shipping of the syrup over to WA was expensive, and I'm now making great spirit using the recipes from this site like Nutrigrain and Mac Whiskey and the Mac Rum that are of equal quality and much less drama.

Hey Jed,
I've been looking at doing an agave spirit myself & bearded + bored's vid definitely caught my attention.
If you're looking at doing this more than just a couple of times you can get the agave on eBay for a really good price buying bulk with only $5 delivery fee to major cities all over Australia.
Here's a link to it https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/13316416429 ... E#shpCntId
Radnelac

equipment: 4" FSD Visualiser + 100L boiler with twin 2400W elements.

Postby vernonbain » Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:15 pm

I ran this and used oyster shells to control the pH, but otherwise I followed the recipe exactly; the ferment was robust, and I didn't need to stir or alter the pH at all, and the end result was fantastic.
vernonbain

equipment: water distillation system

Postby bluc » Fri Sep 10, 2021 10:02 pm

hey verno best you pop into welcome section so we can welcome you :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Gin Javitis » Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:33 pm

Have people used the light agave syrup or the dark? I'm only guessing but I would imagine you would get a much stronger "tequila" profile from the dark. And is the a gravity the same or different between them?
Gin Javitis

equipment: Repurposed CUB 50L keg
2 x 2500W Elements
3" 6 x buble plates
Dephlegmator
700mm 2" condenser
3" Carter head when making gin

Postby Jedstar » Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:23 pm

My first lot was the light agave syrup, however this time I am opting for a dark and hoping it will give a little more profile. Remember though this will not have the tequila taste because that comes from the Pena or the core of the plant the syrup comes form the roots. So it is tequila like but you wont get the strong unique signature of real tequila, having said that I enjoy the product the syrup makes its lovely and is very close to Conquistador Tequila.
Jedstar

Postby bluc » Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:22 am

People are having good success with using terpenes along with the agave nectar.
Not sure if available anywhere in aus but heres some overseas.
https://www.21missionsagave.com/agave-terpenes.html

You may be able to import it..
Last edited by bluc on Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Jedstar » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:51 pm

I found a recipe using aloe Vera I am going to add that to my next agave syrup attempt, looking forward to letting you know how it goes
Jedstar

Postby Jedstar » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:57 am

I wanted to report the results of my Agave Wash that I ran and then placed Aloe Vera chunks and a little sugar in the hearts for about 9 days, the result was exceptional. The Aloe Vera gave the Spirit a lovely golden hue and slightly fruity notes. Taste is nothing like actual Tequila, why would it given tequila comes from the Pina of the plant and the syrup is from the roots, but it is a delightful concoction and ridiculously smooth. However it was a little sweet for my taste and so I added 100 ml of my Mamajuana concentrate, that I usually reserve for my rums. WOW it is awesome and goes down way too well, dead set dangerous. Thank you Santa :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Jedstar

Return to Recipe Development