Raki

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Raki

Postby RuddyCrazy » Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:26 pm

G'day Guy's,
I went into my local bottlo and the boss Steve was there and he asked what this bottle named LR was, he went on to say all the female employees asked for a dram and the bottle was half gone. With my other bottle he did guess it was my AG whisky where he said mate this is so smooth there is nothing on the market to compare it :scared-eek: he went on to say more bite was needed with a whisky so lesson learnt.

Then he said how about a rum where I said mate my body and rum doesn't agree to where he said this doesn't use any molasses and it's a rum. Well having dram blew my mind just how nice it was so my goal is to learn just how this is made .

I'll admit no research has been done and as I said to my mate this young guy making this stuff we do need to connect. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So a rum without the main ingredient but does taste so nice, we have to suss this one out so it can become a tried and proven recipe.

Time to ponder and research I thinks :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan

Edit: research has started https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rak%C4%B1
Last edited by RuddyCrazy on Thu Dec 30, 2021 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Re: Raki

Postby Amberale » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:21 pm

I had Raki on Santorini in the late eighties.
The Greeks fermented the grape skins and mash left over from making wine and then distilled Raki from that.
Restaurants would give a dram to customers for free.
I remember one Skippy chick, Lisa Fucking, so called because every second word was.
She scammed everything she could.
One afternoon she had about 5 free Raki shots and was last seen running down the dirt road tripping off her head.
Amberale

equipment: 5* Neutraliser.

Postby bluc » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:36 pm

Wouldnt distilled grape skins be grappa not rum??.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby The Stig » Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:39 pm

bluc wrote:Wouldnt distilled grape skins be grappa not rum??.

Raki, the Turkish national drink, is a clear brandy made of distilled grapes, flavored with anise. It has the licorice-y taste of ouzo and sambuca, and as with the Greek and Italian spirits, it’s usually consumed simply with water and ice.
Traditionally, raki goes into the glass first (the better to gauge the amount of alcohol to be imbibed), followed by an equal amount of water, and finally an ice cube or two. Raki turns cloudy when water is added, so it’s sometimes referred to as “lion’s milk.”
https://www.chicagotribune.com/dining/d ... story.html
Last edited by The Stig on Fri Dec 31, 2021 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby bluc » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:45 pm

Yea but a rum without cane sugar/molasses aint rum...
bluc
Site Donor

Postby The Stig » Fri Dec 31, 2021 6:57 pm

The info I found says Brandy , not rum
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:42 pm

Yea I want to have a go at making this with a small batch but first in this hot weather we have to get the fennel growing as that is as close to anise as we can get and star of anise is known as the bastard anise impersonator. Now one can just find some anise seed and grow the plant which is on the cards. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So my simple idea is to get a white 5 litre goon for under $15 and strip it my 5 litre pot still to see just what yield I get and yes I will bump it up a bit with some 90% to get enough low wines for a spirit run.

Then macerate the botanicals for a day then do another pot still run with the botanicals in the boiler.

This will be similar to what I make for a mulled orange brandy where I get a 5 litre red wine goon cask and mull it but keep the temp under 70C so the alc doesn't burn off. Leave it for a day then add the lot to the 5 litre boiler for the spirit run and after a few months on French Oak this stuff is a rinse and repeat exercise.

The only difference to what I do now is stripping the white wine so the low wines tempted up 40% if needed can macerate the botanicals.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby bluc » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:07 pm

Ruddys words were "a rum without its main ingrediants but tastes so nice"...a rum without cane sugar aint rum...
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Amberale » Sat Jan 01, 2022 11:25 am

bluc wrote:Wouldnt distilled grape skins be grappa not rum??.

I never called it rum.
I reckon it’s closer to the shit they make in prison from raisins and sultanas.
:?
Amberale

Postby bluc » Sat Jan 01, 2022 2:05 pm

I didnt say you did i mentioned rudys statement in first post :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Wellsy » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:06 pm

Lol Amber
Love your description, a winery gave me 75 ish litres of red wine ( left overs used for topping off wooden barrels as the angels take their share ) which I distilled in my pot as grappa. It tasted foul but was super warm to drink. 6 months on it has smoothed out a lot and is almost drinkable. I gave a bottle to a mate as his dad used to make grappa and I have absolutely no experience with it. His verdict was it is the best he has ever had, I guess we all have different tastes, he’ll I know there are some people out there who don’t like Vegemite lol
Good luck in your hunt Bryan
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Amberale » Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:54 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc wrote:I didnt say you did i mentioned rudys statement in first post :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Amberale

Postby Amberale » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:06 pm

Wellsy wrote:Lol Amber
Love your description, a winery gave me 75 ish litres of red wine ( left overs used for topping off wooden barrels as the angels take their share ) which I distilled in my pot as grappa. It tasted foul but was super warm to drink. 6 months on it has smoothed out a lot and is almost drinkable. I gave a bottle to a mate as his dad used to make grappa and I have absolutely no experience with it. His verdict was it is the best he has ever had, I guess we all have different tastes, he’ll I know there are some people out there who don’t like Vegemite lol
Good luck in your hunt Bryan

Wellsy the stuff I had in the Greek islands(most of them have been part of Turkey at some time) was not made from anything as refined as wine nor was it processed in something as sophisticated as your 5* baby.
It was made from the manky muck left over from pressings with all the wild yeasts left in.
It was probably stilled over an open fire using two large aluminium pots that are usually pressed into service to preserve tomatoes with an upturned lid as a condenser.
Cuts? What are they??
I imagine the aniseed is there for the same reason they put pine in Retsina, to hide the crap flavours.
Every little cafe had it’s own little wooden keg of the stuff.
:puke-huge: :laughing-rolling:
Amberale

Postby Wellsy » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:01 am

Lol
That sounds so good lol. I think I will stick to the T&P at this stage and let Bryan do all the work. He is good like that :) :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Return to Recipe Development