Liquid Malts

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Liquid Malts

Postby bt1 » Thu May 31, 2012 5:34 pm

Be keen to hear from anyone using liquid malts and their thoughts.

Brands, results whatever.

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Re: Liquid Malts

Postby Frank » Thu May 31, 2012 6:53 pm

I recently put a 1.5kg can of Coopers light malt extract in my DWWG wash, as I am keen to get to the bottom of a good flavour profile for Scotch.
I'm only new at trying for distilling (having made LOTS of beers with liquid malt) but there seemed to be less obvious malt smell/taste in the 'aired' distillate than when I used dried malt extract; mind you...but that's not a bad thing.

It was certainly worth further investigation (esp with other wash recipes) IMHO and, hopefully, I get a letter soon from someone whom knows a LOT more about this. ;-) :whistle: and I'll be happy to add more here if I can.
Frank

Postby R-sole » Thu May 31, 2012 7:33 pm

It's in the post. Should be there tommorow if it wasn't today. :doh:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Rumdrinker » Thu May 31, 2012 10:58 pm

Frank wrote:I recently put a 1.5kg can of Coopers light malt extract in my DWWG wash, as I am keen to get to the bottom of a good flavour profile for Scotch.
I'm only new at trying for distilling (having made LOTS of beers with liquid malt) but there seemed to be less obvious malt smell/taste in the 'aired' distillate than when I used dried malt extract; mind you...but that's not a bad thing.

It was certainly worth further investigation (esp with other wash recipes) IMHO and, hopefully, I get a letter soon from someone whom knows a LOT more about this. ;-) :whistle: and I'll be happy to add more here if I can.

I'm keen to try a DWWG wash with liquid malt so will be interested in how this turns out. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Rumdrinker

equipment: Electric & HP gas Keg boilers. 4" pot still for stripping & rum, Bubbler in the making.....

Postby chrisc » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:13 pm

may i add another question has anyone tryed that liquid malt extract from coles in the health food isle cant remember the name i have used it with beer was wondering has anyone used it with whisky and what were the results

if noone knows im going to buy 3 cans next week and ill run through what im going to do in a new post
chrisc

equipment: 50l keg the still i was using on it was stolen so using my first still on a 50l boiler its just a basic ss pot still nothing great but gets me through while i get the copper togetther to make a new one i only use pot stills as im a whisky drinker

Postby Brendan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:54 pm

Hey Chris, I have seen the liquid malt extract you're talking about, in Woolworths, and I thought the exact same thing...haven't used it myself though, but I'm sure someone has tried it...

Frank, have you considered going All Grain? I'm on holidays in a few weeks, and will be building myself a decent mash tun from a keg with an electric stirrer. I'll be building it specifically for whisky/distilling. If there isn't enough interest shown for 5Star to get in some specialty whisky yeasts, I'll have to resort to a decent ale yeast (apparently Lark distillery in Tas use ale yeast, which is a good sign). I'll also be building a stir plate to build up good yeast starters to hit the ground running and control off-flavours more hopefully...

Cheers lads :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby chrisc » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:14 pm

Brendan wrote:Hey Chris, I have seen the liquid malt extract you're talking about, in Woolworths, and I thought the exact same thing...haven't used it myself though, but I'm sure someone has tried it...

Frank, have you considered going All Grain? I'm on holidays in a few weeks, and will be building myself a decent mash tun from a keg with an electric stirrer. I'll be building it specifically for whisky/distilling. If there isn't enough interest shown for 5Star to get in some specialty whisky yeasts, I'll have to resort to a decent ale yeast (apparently Lark distillery in Tas use ale yeast, which is a good sign). I'll also be building a stir plate to build up good yeast starters to hit the ground running and control off-flavours more hopefully...

Cheers lads :handgestures-thumbupleft:

i think ill try it and just use some maze with it do u malt your own grains if so can i ask if you can send me a pm on the way you get your corn malted i seam to do something wrong every time and why don't you just do the BIAB method much easier and cheaper
chrisc

equipment: 50l keg the still i was using on it was stolen so using my first still on a 50l boiler its just a basic ss pot still nothing great but gets me through while i get the copper togetther to make a new one i only use pot stills as im a whisky drinker

Postby Brendan » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:29 pm

Sorry mate, definitely no malting from me. I've only just started working out the logistics to set up for AG (not rushing in), and will get my grains from the local guy here.

People have mentioned the BIAB, for starters I like to build stuff, and although I realise it's a much smaller procedure and they prob do it due to size, the big boys use step infusion mash with a stirrer to keep the mash moving...so I thought of replicating this as best I could within a 50L keg, rather than just hanging a tea bag of grain in there :sad:

Could be silly, I don't know, but I like the idea of replicating how it's done on a larger scale (exactly why we now have flutes/plates columns in home distilling modeled from the Holstein still)...
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby chrisc » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:39 pm

Brendan wrote:Sorry mate, definitely no malting from me. I've only just started working out the logistics to set up for AG (not rushing in), and will get my grains from the local guy here.

People have mentioned the BIAB, for starters I like to build stuff, and although I realise it's a much smaller procedure and they prob do it due to size, the big boys use step infusion mash with a stirrer to keep the mash moving...so I thought of replicating this as best I could within a 50L keg, rather than just hanging a tea bag of grain in there :sad:

Could be silly, I don't know, but I like the idea of replicating how it's done on a larger scale (exactly why we now have flutes/plates columns in home distilling modeled from the Holstein still)...

all good m8 and i do see the need i just do a biab when i can be bothered with it that is otherwise i just boil in straight grains and add sugar after 20 mins of boil i do this repeating in my 22l ss stock pot until i fill a 44 gal food grade drum then after a week to a week and a half i am busy running my still lol keeps me busy but city gas is much cheaper bottled stuff around hear at $24 per 8.5kg bottle i rather the stove top
chrisc

Postby wynnum1 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:22 pm

malt is also used in food industry not only for making beer.
wynnum1

Postby Frank » Wed Jun 13, 2012 5:56 pm

Brendan wrote:.....Frank, have you considered going All Grain? '....... to get in some specialty whisky yeasts, I'll have to resort to a decent ale yeast (apparently Lark distillery in Tas use ale yeast, which is a good sign). ....

Mate I have considered allgrain but, well, being a lazy novice AND based on the latest 'speciality info' I got from a seasoned Scotch maker ;-) :whistle:
I will be using peated malted barley (mashed) and Safale US-05 (if I can get it, else I too might ask Larks and/or 'a mate' suggested Nottingham may be ok) and COOPERS or similar quality Liquid Malt.... because I can
Frank

Postby R-sole » Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:03 pm

Frank wrote:
Brendan wrote:.....Frank, have you considered going All Grain? '....... to get in some specialty whisky yeasts, I'll have to resort to a decent ale yeast (apparently Lark distillery in Tas use ale yeast, which is a good sign). ....

Mate I have considered allgrain but, well, being a lazy novice AND based on the latest 'speciality info' I got from a seasoned Scotch maker ;-) :whistle:
I will be using peated malted barley (mashed) and Safale US-05 (if I can get it, else I too might ask Larks and/or 'a mate' suggested Nottingham may be ok) and COOPERS or similar quality Liquid Malt.... because I can

Just ordered 500gm of 05. It ain't cheap. I can get bricks of notto when i order the rum yeast too. It's a fair bit cheaper.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby bt1 » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:29 pm

Hello all,
Have the first ever wash using Coopers Amber malt airing currently since Saturday run. No major to recipe other than adding .5kg or 1/3 can of Amber malt to wash and using EDV 493 second gen yeast. Single run at 80% abv temp correct as usual.
Initial impression is it smells heavier/stronger aroma. It has a definite grainy flatter more pleasant smell also. It's almost food like rather than just a sharp spirit in the early stages of airing.
On rubbing tests reckon it's more delicate with less front of nose sting. Watered down on teaspoon tests it notably different to previous washes.

I'm convinced the more varied the grain (and now malt) varieties used the better the over all flavour is. It not as stringent as the harsher corn/rye only brew of years past.
Clearly there's a point when adding extra grain types becomes a pointless pursuit but I would recommend for those who like to experiment to grab a can of the Coopers malt and give it a try.

There are three types to choose from depending I guess on how far you want to move away from a straight 2 grain wash in terms of taste.

http://www.coopers.com.au/the-brewers-guild/brewing-products/brew-sugars/malt-extract-range

The Bill...so far lol
2L cracked corn
1L wheat, wheat short boiled in backset before adding to soften
1L Malted Pale Ale grain
4.5 KG sugar, inverted
1/2 lemon med for inverting
1 heaped teaspoon Dap
2 teaspoons gypsum
1 teaspoon Epsom salts, salts Dap pre dissolved
ph corrected to 4.8~ish
Total fermenter volume 28lt each
pitch temp 36c
start phase lag <30mins (EDV 493 gen 2 yeast pre fed and fired up), bakers or fresh start would be ok no issues
Run temp 34C
Ferment time 5.5 days

Give it a crack for a wash or two the can is 1.5kg reckon it's good for 2 -3 washes @$11 per can no biggy.

Cheers
bt1
bt1

Postby Kimbo » Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:30 pm

good post Bt,
i might have to give that one a try :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby grumpthehermit » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:18 pm

Frank wrote:I recently put a 1.5kg can of Coopers light malt extract in my DWWG wash, as I am keen to get to the bottom of a good flavour profile for Scotch.

You've inspired me Frank !!! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I went out today looking to buy the same as you to make a DWWG wash with liquid malt but only found Coopers brand light dry malt ( 500g ) in the homebrew section at Big W.

I have just boiled up a double batch of 2x250g wheatgerm, 2x250g light dry malt and 6 kgs of sugar for the full 80 minutes. Allowed it to cool then halved into two 30L fermenters ( filled to 25L with 2tsp of citric and 1tsp of Epsom salts ) with an extra 3k of white sugar in each fermenter to make my usual 6kgs of sugar and added in the Lowans yeast to both at 90 grams each.

Loving all this scotch talk I'm seeing of late. Keen to see how this goes ...

:D

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby bt1 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:53 am

grump,

how did it turn out...keen to know as the malt powders are far better priced than the cans of liquid malt.

btw had a "offical" test of the 1st liquid malt brew last night. It's a very nice drop for it's very young age.
I don't think it will need a lot of timber as it may override the more delicate flavours.

let us know if you can.

cheers
bt1
bt1

Postby grumpthehermit » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:16 pm

Gday Mate,

Ran it over the weekend, I only just got my pot still so I have my L plates on and I don't have the ability to control my take off speed running my electric boiler to I may have run it too fast. I did a double 25L strip then tipped two strips of 5L low wines back into the boiler for a second go.

Won't know much more until I taste test it tomorrow after it airs out over night.

In my opinion it smelled good coming off the parrot, hard to describe it though. Sort of a nice grain thing going on, not what I am used to after doing reflux runs.

Will let you know what I think once it airs out.

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby zwagerman9 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:07 am

And how'd it go?
I want to try DWWG with 500g LDM. Or a BE2 cause I have a few spare... lol
zwagerman9

equipment: Airstill....
2" POT STILL!
2" Dual Slant Plate Bok

Postby grumpthehermit » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:27 am

G'day Mate,

I just posted on your other post.

I think it went very well, very happy with the flavour and smell .. The true test will be in a few weeks when I give it a taste test.

I'm looking forward to that !!! :D

Cheers
GTH
grumpthehermit

Postby bt1 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:59 pm

grump,

could u link to the other post cos this black duck is a little under the weather and can't find shit

cheeeeeeeers
bt1
bt1

Next

Return to Recipe Development