Cointreau Recipe - Wanted.

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Cointreau Recipe - Wanted.

Postby 620rossco » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:45 am

Langlais said this was so that there is a proper balance between the 'juicy' flavors and zesty ones in Cointreau. If they left everything in, the liqueur would be overwhelmingly zesty."

This can be bled off from the base of the carter head and used to make coloured spirits.
They steep the peels in the wash which is a slightly different process.
You would remove the thumper from your carterhead in order to minimise the zest.
It balances nicely with the stevia sugar mix when you proof.
620rossco

equipment: 3"pot 2"double bok 3"LM/VM.

Postby garouda » Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:09 pm

tkwasik wrote:Just couple weeks ago I did maceration of 90abv with lemon and oranges peels for 2 weeks, turned very nice, was very pleased with out come, it needed tiny bit of sugar to balance it, but after I watered it down to 42abv - BANG - I've ruined color.. From beautiful lemony crystal clear - to milky, color like orange juice from the box, it is quite bad and do not know if it can be fixed without pot stillin it..
So not sure how to macerate high abv lemon and orange peels and keep this nice color, it might be better idea to use gin basket and get white product ..

Do you know the French Pastis, Pernod or other Ricard? It's the same effect, the anise oil becomes yellow when mixed with water in your glass...
garouda

equipment: 100l boiler 3" column VM - 6" and 7 plates with dephlegmator (in progress - target, first run december 2022)

Postby Roger » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:43 pm

TK, mine just turned cloudy also.

I had 3 oranges in a muslin cloth suspended over 1 litre of 92% neutral. After about two weeks I couldn't notice any difference, but slowly the neutral colour changed. After 110 days the neutral had a great orange tinge in a deep colour but when I added a sugar/water mix instant cloudiness. When I tasted it I wasn't sure if I was disappointed with the colour, but it didn't taste anything like contrieu.

So back to the drawing board for me
Roger

equipment: Still Spirits T500 Reflux Condenser and Boiler.
2" pot still for stripping runs.
FSD Neutraliser with 50 litre milk can boiler and gin caddy.

Postby Wobblyboot » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:02 pm

I may be wrong but shouldn't u add the alcohol to the water, not other way around? Google louche..
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby Andy » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:24 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:I may be wrong but shouldn't u add the alcohol to the water, not other way around? Google louche..

isnt louche effect oil and water reaction?
i thought you add water to alcohol.
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby WTDist » Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:24 pm

I added water to alcohol watering down some CF/WB whisky today from 60% to 42%, taste fine and great to me no probs
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby scythe » Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:20 am

Wobbly: you may be getting confused, minimal safety risks with water and alcohol but acid and water should always be mixed in alphabetical order.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby rumsponge » Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:14 am

you always add acid (small volume) to the water (large volume) - not the other way around.
If you add alcohol (small volume) to water (large volume) the louching will be more significant, because at the initial stages of addition, the alcohol concentration is low (and the oils will separate).
The other way around (adding small volumes of water to large volume of alcohol) the concentration of alcohol (high in the beginning) will decrease slowly minimizing the separation of oils.
cheers, RS
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby garouda » Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:10 pm

About acid and water you're right, acid to water and not the opposite. The reason is the following, acid + water is an exothermal reaction (like ethanol + water btw, but not so strong), so if you add water to acid, water will boil and the vapour will cause dangerous splashes of acid! It's the same as pouring water into hot oil... :naughty:
Last edited by garouda on Mon Mar 29, 2021 11:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garouda

equipment: 100l boiler 3" column VM - 6" and 7 plates with dephlegmator (in progress - target, first run december 2022)

Previous

Return to Recipe Development