Grapejuice -> wine -> brandy?

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Postby cdbrown » Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:20 pm

Quite a few people in my family enjoy brandy so figured I might give it a bash considering I stuffed up the sour corn wash (didn't sour and ended up with rum) and will have a single malt wash on the go soon thanks to some tins of amber liquid malt extract I found in the shed.

So on HD there's a thread which mentions either distilling store bought wine or making the wine and distilling that. The quick recipe for the wine was 15 cans of grape juice concentrate topped up to 20L. I searched for the concentrate in Woolies and couldn't find it. I did see Berri 2.4L grape juice bottles. Can I just use 10 of these bottles which will make 24L, ferment it out with bakers yeast (or an ale yeast? or blend?). Once fermented, put in pot and strip run ditching the first 200ml and keeping down to 20%abv. Then do the spirit run. Maybe age it on an oak domino?
cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot
3v 50L brew rig with HERMS for 42L homebrew batches

Re: Grapejuice -> wine -> brandy?

Postby law-of-ohms » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:13 pm

Its cheaper to buy the wine from wollies, 6x clearskins for $12

and you get 6 bottels!
law-of-ohms

equipment: 50L Keg boiler, 3600W element. - Low wines to nice wines :)
90L (Big Bertha) 1.2M 3" Copper - too small... lol

Postby cdbrown » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:22 pm

it was recommended to not get the cheap bottles mainly due to sulfites. I have 3 bottles of rubbish white wine that the Mrs bought and won't drink so no doubt they will go in the pot still at some point.
cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot
3v 50L brew rig with HERMS for 42L homebrew batches

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:26 pm

Cask or two of goon and yr running tonight. Why wait on juice & yeast? Cheap cleanskins will get you there with no waiting and probably same cost.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby ledgenko » Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:17 am

Casks of wine (5l) are 2 for $24 ... so for $48 instant wash !!! no messing about !!! same price as a Turbo really !!!
Last edited by MacStill on Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: deleted double post ;)
ledgenko

equipment: 500 thingy ... Much to learn... Yep I know squat but can crack out a decent all grain beer

Postby BCarter » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:14 am

I wouldn't go from grape juice...wrong variety, lacks acid, very high in sulphur so it's hard to start a proper ferment and get it dry...plus, you'll have a very large heads portion that's hard to separate.

I'm with others here...buy ready made wine, at least your acid levels are right and the resultant distillate will resemble brandy somewhat.

Ideally, get the most acidic and low ph...semillon, riesling or similar...
BCarter

equipment: Winemaker

Postby crow » Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:34 pm

I agree with most of the posts here regarding table grape juice or concentrate. I however would not agree regarding fresh grapes, not everyone has access to bulk affordable wine and the process of wine making can be quite fun and rewarding in its self. A lot of ppl have access to grapes well suited to wine making and a lot of these would lend themselves well to distilling. members in a viticultural area would have access to any amount of grapes possibly for free as the harvesters can't start right at the strainer post or harvest efficiently right to the strainer therefore the ends of the rows have unharvested grapes remaining on the vine. most growers are happy to have these removed as they are a source for mildew and a range of other infections to develop. Not to use a product that can be obtained cheaply of free because there is a pre made option might be good advise to some but senseless to others particularly if the end product is for a non-commercial application where a number of overheads won't be factored in
Last edited by crow on Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: barely literate
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby BCarter » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:07 pm

That's certainly one way to go about it.

Just remember, you're not making a red wine, go for white varieties with high acid and don't use sulphur (PMS). It's quite hard to separate in the distillate.
BCarter

equipment: Winemaker

Postby invisigoth » Tue Oct 23, 2012 8:30 pm

i kinda like the idea of starting from grapes.... starting from wine just seems like cheating :teasing-neener:
invisigoth

equipment: bte cm reflux head
5l pure distilling pot still
t500 boiler +extra pure distilling lid
diy phase angle controller
diy output extension tube+parrot
3 plate modular macbubbler

Postby Feelgood » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:00 pm

As a new distiller I want to fast track my skills.

I bought a couple of 4l casks at Dan Murphy's local shop for $9 each.

Meanwhile I have started a 20l fermentation of tomato wash.
Feelgood

equipment: 3 pot still

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:56 pm

My recipe for a Orange mulled brandy

5 litre cask of red coolabah for $13

some mulling herbs
One sliced navel orange

Add the red wine to a 15 litre stock pot along with the sliced orange and mulled herbs and raise the temp to 65 degrees and hold it around there for 3 hours being careful not to go over 70C as we don't want to boil away the alc do we. Let it cool and seal it up for a week then run it thru a 5 litre pot still and temper to 65% with some toasted/charred French Oak chips.

Leave for a few months then temper down to 40% and i'm sure you will be making it again and again.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby Bob9863 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:36 pm

I've made a decent brandy from sultanas, much better then cask wine, not my favourite brandy but it's a traditional tasting brandy.
I much prefer peach, quince or apple brandy.
Bob9863

equipment: 118lt keg still with 50lt thumper, gin cadfy/mini thumper and shotgun condenser
5lt copper pot still

Return to Recipe Development