Rum Mollasses wash

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum Mollasses wash

Postby MacStill » Sun Jun 26, 2011 8:48 pm

it's on oak and still too raw (young) to be enjoyable, it has good qualities and will be a very nice drop in a couple of months ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby maheel » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:43 pm

what sort of FG should i expect with this black tasting shit :) lol

i did 3L molasses and 2kg sugar in 20L ish water (dumped it on the some all bran slops and added some fresh yeast)

i did not do a SG but it's working but just wondering what it will come down to

not even sure i want to run it and contaminate my pot head and keg.... :lol:
maheel

Postby MacStill » Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:59 pm

I dont bother with SG/FG doing molasses wash's, or any other wash's really :oops:

Dont be afraid of running it mate, just a good rinse out and it'll be just like you ran any other wash through it.

Cheers.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby R-sole » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:30 pm

My feed mollasses often used to finish out at 1030 or a bit lower. Don't often disagree with McStill but i keep monitoring my mollasses washes, mostly cause if i pitch on the lees it seems to stall easy. I think i have high preservative levels in my mollasses, but at the price of $0, who can complain?
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby maheel » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:46 pm

cheers guys i was thinking the FG would be a bit higher than normal 990 TPW with all that black color in there and i thought a bit of unfermentable stuff keeping the FG higher

just going to let it go and settle out as normal but i often like to check it after a week or so just to see

I got a few brews on the go and would like to free up some fermenter space but got to have patience
maheel

Postby MacStill » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:52 pm

5Star wrote:My feed mollasses often used to finish out at 1030 or a bit lower. Don't often disagree with McStill but i keep monitoring my mollasses washes, mostly cause if i pitch on the lees it seems to stall easy. I think i have high preservative levels in my mollasses, but at the price of $0, who can complain?

No problems disagreeing mate, it's how we all develop our own styles on things ;)

I pitch back onto my lees too, but my molasses is preservative and additive free.

I use the same recipe 99% of the time and broke my hydrometer, never really felt the need to replace it :lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby maheel » Wed Jul 27, 2011 10:18 am

so i am running this right now

my pot head started throwing out some ALC steam so i put on the PSR and am running about 50% (1200w)
slowed it down a bit to a drippy stream (not full stream)

normally i dont run the PSR on my pot head but wight have to today

anyone see any issues with this? (running power control) apart from slowing down the run.

it's got a real molasses smell happening and i went over and warned the neighbor about a possible smell :)
they know i make beer :twisted:
maheel

Postby maheel » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:31 pm

done....

the last few tails bottles had a bit of a burnt caramel smell. is that normal ?

got to let it air a bit then sniff it some more :)
maheel

Postby MacStill » Wed Jul 27, 2011 12:41 pm

I havnt had the burnt caramel smell, but my wash's sit around for weeks so generally they've ferment out good and proper.

How'd the run go using your PSR?

On gas I usually take the heads slowly then step it up a bit for the hearts, then crank it right up to take tails.

Just about got my PSR controller sorted out, cant wait to try it out from what I've been reading.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby maheel » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:11 pm

PSR is fine i like having the easy control it gives to the pot or boka if i want it

wind it up and down and the drips / stream get faster or slower :)

i dont have an amp gauge and it looks a bit dodge... let me know how you go on the amp meter
it has a PC 5V cooling fan on a PC heat sink, i don't like having the 5V mobile phone charger in there as well (bit messy)

i still need to get the brother in law to put in a 30amp ish line direct to my workshop (maybe 8 meters of wire....)
also need to upgrade all the "wires" inside the PSR and have a 240 v cooling fan at a mates house i need to go get
add a amp meter
i have a K Thermocouple (using a PID for temp readings) on my bok and i was going to install the pid inside the PSR box to make it "all in one"
maheel

Postby R-sole » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:15 pm

Only time i ever got burnt caramel taste was from a ujsm that hadn't finnished. Never got the taste outa that spirit and it's among the two runs that i've ever dumped.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby maheel » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:26 pm

after sitting here sniffing i dont think it is "burnt" maybe just more molasses in the last few lower ABV tails ?

the last 500ml bit i stripped off as a very fruity smell which is unusual with no molasses smell that also makes me think it's not "burnt"

was a pretty good run be interesting to air / age it a bit and have a bash
maheel

Postby maheel » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:09 pm

ok this stuff has been siting around a few days looking sad.... i am not to keen on the smell but i guess it's needs some age
it does have some "rum" smell i guess but not really sure what to make of it.

something needs to be done with it ?

whats my best option ? oak it ? any thing else i should add ?

thanks
maheel

Postby rumby » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:20 pm

My first rum run smelt shithouse, put it on oak & forget about it for a few months, tried it, jez it tasted pretty good, that was without stripping & some packing in the colum.
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

Postby MacStill » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:22 pm

I'd say it's just the normal smell of raw/young rum, stick it on some oak at 65% and have another sniff/taste in a month or so ;)

You'll be really surprised at the difference :D

edit: Agree with rumby on his comments also ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby maheel » Sun Jul 31, 2011 5:42 pm

it does not smell bad but i am a scotch drinker so not used to smelling the "molasses"

will OAK it after dinner

and get some pics of that PSR while i am at it mcstill :)
maheel

Postby Griffo » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:50 pm

Hello Guy's
I would like some help if you don't mind helping,I am interested in making rum with mallasses without using home brewers essence
could you help with a simple recipe, what sort of yeast and everything in between to put the rum into a bottle I'm very green" and not Bob Brown Green"
Thank's Griffo.
Griffo

equipment: REFLUX

Postby MacStill » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:56 pm

Griffo wrote:Hello Guy's
I would like some help if you don't mind helping,I am interested in making rum with mallasses without using home brewers essence
could you help with a simple recipe, what sort of yeast and everything in between to put the rum into a bottle I'm very green" and not Bob Brown Green"
Thank's Griffo.

Try this mate ;)

http://www.aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=465
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby R-sole » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:28 am

This is the one i use.

Pints Fast Fermenter

Be prepared for some of the best rum you've had, but also be prapared to wait 6-10 months before it's real good.

Best thing is to put it away in a 4-5 litre bottle at 65% with some oak sticks. Not too many, six or so and keep an eye on it every month with a sip and a sniff. 8-)
R-sole

Postby rumby » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:15 pm

Tried my rum (molasses wash, stripped & ran slow) last night, fuckn awesome, only been on oak for a week, shit it was strong (them remeber it was approx 62 %). I was reading the other day, Mcstill said he was at the bundy distillery recently, and it tasted like heads & tails. I added a bit more tails then usually, it has a got a bit of the yummy bundy rough taste (for those that like it). So anyone that is a bundy fan add some more tails, have a play around without & suit to your taste. This rum will be to my taste buds in 3-4 months.
rumby

equipment: CC reflux still

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development