Nutrigrain Wash Discussion Thread

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Nutrigrain Wash Discussion Thread

Postby Wellsy » Mon Sep 13, 2021 6:16 am

Wait until you are buying 12 x 3 litre clip top jars and they ask if you are pickling something.

The answer of course is yes but you just do not mention it is your liver :laughing-rolling:
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Mossimo » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:30 am

Hi guys,
so I'm on my third gen of this (second time making it and its great !) but i got called away for work for the last 8 weeks,
will my yeast be dead from sitting in the fermenter for that long?
Mossimo

equipment: Homemade reflux still

Postby BigRig » Wed Sep 22, 2021 11:44 am

Mossimo wrote:Hi guys,
so I'm on my third gen of this (second time making it and its great !) but i got called away for work for the last 8 weeks,
will my yeast be dead from sitting in the fermenter for that long?

it should still be ok. chuck in some more sugar and it will start back up again.

IF you are concerned you can always throw in some new stuff to boost it. Whatever is dead will make nutrients for the live stuff.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Mossimo » Wed Sep 22, 2021 12:28 pm

thanks heaps, will do :-)

BTW, 8 weeks without MY alcohol... lets just say i was glad to be home again lol
Mossimo

equipment: Homemade reflux still

Postby lest1 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:06 pm

Just a beginner and havn't tasted

but the smell from this wash is unreal so tasty can't wait to try the finished product, hopefully it will be great as a white dog
lest1
Site Donor

equipment: 4" 4 plate 50L 3kw
220l fermenter

Postby Radnelac » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:53 pm

Hi all, after a shitty lockdown period that really got me down for a while I've finally pulled my finger out & started to get back into it all. For anyone that monitors the discussion threads you'll see this mssg in 3 different ones as I've put down one of each of them (CFW, Nutrigrain & BWKO).
I've just put down a 60L wash of this but cheated a little to get some upfront flavour on the first gen. I used 2kg of Nutrigrain + cut the sugar back significantly & used a few kg of LME, well actually it was mostly LME & only 3kg of sugar to bump up the abv a bit. Yep it was a bit pricey but I had some extra cash to splash from recent overtime at work & I'm hoping it will pay off for the first gen flavour & also increased flavour for subsequent generations. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out & how it will impact the future generations flavour wise. First gen for all 3 will probably taste the same but what I'm hoping for is a kickstart of flavour for subsequent generations.
If anyone has done something similar or made whiskey from just straight LME I'd be interested in hearing anyones feedback.
Radnelac

equipment: 4" FSD Visualiser + 100L boiler with twin 2400W elements.

Postby deadliftsnstill » Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:48 am

Radnelac wrote:Hi all, after a shitty lockdown period that really got me down for a while I've finally pulled my finger out & started to get back into it all. For anyone that monitors the discussion threads you'll see this mssg in 3 different ones as I've put down one of each of them (CFW, Nutrigrain & BWKO).
I've just put down a 60L wash of this but cheated a little to get some upfront flavour on the first gen. I used 2kg of Nutrigrain + cut the sugar back significantly & used a few kg of LME, well actually it was mostly LME & only 3kg of sugar to bump up the abv a bit. Yep it was a bit pricey but I had some extra cash to splash from recent overtime at work & I'm hoping it will pay off for the first gen flavour & also increased flavour for subsequent generations. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out & how it will impact the future generations flavour wise. First gen for all 3 will probably taste the same but what I'm hoping for is a kickstart of flavour for subsequent generations.
If anyone has done something similar or made whiskey from just straight LME I'd be interested in hearing anyones feedback.

Hi mate, hows this going?
I'm planning on a similar tactic, not quite as much LME because $, but probably a tin of Saunders in the first gen.

Have you had a chance to run it?
deadliftsnstill

equipment: 50L keg w/2200W element, Home made copper 2" to 1/2" Leibig

Postby lest1 » Thu Jul 21, 2022 5:29 pm

Been putting a small amount of yellow angel in with bakers yeast and found it reduces the sludgy trub and gives a mount grainy flavour , worth a try
lest1
Site Donor

equipment: 4" 4 plate 50L 3kw
220l fermenter

Postby Pardot » Fri Sep 02, 2022 6:45 pm

I'm currently doing the spirit run on my first run of NGW and it's an interesting experience! To date, I've run a couple of TPWs before switching to WBAB to make neutral mainly for Gin. This is my first 'whisky' effort and the first time where I'm experiencing flavour on the spirit run. So used to the refluxing and getting a fairly tasteless spirit. I've got Gen 2 down now and am excited to see how the flavours develop!
It's been great reading the discussion here, it was this that made me give the NGW a go! Funny seeing the discussion about the big boxes of Nutri-Grain being 800g back in the day. Shrinkflation has set in and they're now only 765g. :mad:
Pardot

equipment: Alcoengine reflux on a Digiboil 35l, Air Still clone, FSD Pot Still

Postby tastgr » Sat Jan 06, 2024 5:07 pm

Just about to start my second attempt at this. First came out nice enough but I was using a second hand t500 and was still very new to the hobby. This one will all be done through my alcoengine pot head. Hoping by end of the year I'll have a bubble plate setup to run it through.

I thought of something, not sure if it's been answered. When you remove half of the trub for the second gen, you could use that other half to start a parallel second gen right? Save wasting it? Nutri-Grain isn't as cheap as it used to be ;) Cheers all!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tastgr

equipment: Alcoengine Reflux column, Alcoengine Pot head, 30l and 60l digiboils, a couple of plastic fermenters.

Postby howard » Mon Jan 08, 2024 8:15 pm

tastgr wrote:Just about to start my second attempt at this. First came out nice enough but I was using a second hand t500 and was still very new to the hobby. This one will all be done through my alcoengine pot head. Hoping by end of the year I'll have a bubble plate setup to run it through.

I thought of something, not sure if it's been answered. When you remove half of the trub for the second gen, you could use that other half to start a parallel second gen right? Save wasting it? Nutri-Grain isn't as cheap as it used to be ;) Cheers all!

i think the nutrigrain/cornflakes/wheat bran/weetabix for whatever recipe, the cereal is added mainly for flavour.
so if you skimp on the cereal, you will reduce the flavour, is my thinking.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby tastgr » Mon Jan 15, 2024 3:22 pm

Sorry, I got confused a bit :) I forgot you just add more nutri-grain for the second and third generation. I've started a second separate fermenter with the same recipe, so I can have two going at once, a couple of days apart. Once they've been run through the still I'll combine them before oaking and aging. Anyone found any worthwhile additions? Fruit-loops mayhaps? XD
tastgr

equipment: Alcoengine Reflux column, Alcoengine Pot head, 30l and 60l digiboils, a couple of plastic fermenters.

Postby Puk » Wed Mar 20, 2024 6:21 pm

Just a quick question: can the Ph crash in subsequent generations of whiskey washes in the same way as it does with rum? Or is it not so much of a problem?
Puk
Puk

equipment: 50l keg boiler (2x 2400w 5 star elements , 4" fill port, 3/4" removeable drain and ball valve)
Alcoengine pot still

Postby The Stig » Wed Mar 20, 2024 7:24 pm

Yes Puk, a handful of shell grit will keep your little yeasty friends happy
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Puk » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:45 pm

The Stig wrote:Yes Puk, a handful of shell grit will keep your little yeasty friends happy

thanks mate.
Got those ready to go. :)

My first generation nutri-grain whisky was my favourite thing i had made before my 5 generation MacRum.

I have high hopes for what 4 or 5 generations of this will taste like!
Puk
Puk

equipment: 50l keg boiler (2x 2400w 5 star elements , 4" fill port, 3/4" removeable drain and ball valve)
Alcoengine pot still

Previous

Return to Recipe Development