Nutrigrain Wash Discussion Thread

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Nutrigrain Wash Discussion Thread

Postby FilthyPhil » Wed Mar 03, 2021 8:16 pm

I'm slowly getting there.
After 2 weeks it's down to 1.004 but still bubbling away. Is that orange stuff floating around normal?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FilthyPhil

equipment: I have built a 50l keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements & a 2" copper pot still with shotgun condenser.

Postby Wellsy » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:16 am

It was on mine mate, I put it down to some sort of food colouring but that was just a wild guess.
I did not grind mine up, they just went in whole. The nutrigrain turned almost white, like a wet rice bubble, hence my guess on the food colouring
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby FilthyPhil » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:21 am

Wellsy wrote:It was on mine mate, I put it down to some sort of food colouring but that was just a wild guess.
I did not grind mine up, they just went in whole. The nutrigrain turned almost white, like a wet rice bubble, hence my guess on the food colouring

Ok, thanks Wellsy. I thought it may have been some sort of infection or something.
I crushed mine in a blender but it probably doesn't make any difference.
FilthyPhil

equipment: I have built a 50l keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements & a 2" copper pot still with shotgun condenser.

Postby Rumblepants » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:24 am

Has anyone here added molasses into their NGW washes?

I'm planning an experiment adding 1 litre of Molasses to each wash and running 5 generations.

Is Molasses a straight replacement for sugar in a wash?

Cheers
Rumble
Rumblepants

equipment: 2inch CCVM 50L Keg Boiler

Postby bluc » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:43 am

It's only about 40% fermentable.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Rumblepants » Sun Jul 25, 2021 2:50 pm

bluc wrote:It's only about 40% fermentable.

Ok great thanks Bluc.

My recipe plan is

25L wash

1 large box of NG
4.5 kg sugar
1.1kg Molasses
Lowans
Epsom and citrus to adjust ph to 5ish

Save backseat from strips to add to next wash. Do 6 gens then a spirit run through pot still.

Aiming for a bastard rum tasting thing.

How does that sound?

Cheers
Rumble
Rumblepants

Postby bluc » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:56 pm

Any reason for molasses in a whiskey? My bet is mol will over power grains(just my 2c and not a reason not to try you might love it) I have read of Americans doing sweet feed(grain mol mix) with great success.
bluc
Site Donor

Postby Rumblepants » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:11 pm

bluc wrote:Any reason for molasses in a whiskey? My bet is mol will over power grains(just my 2c and not a reason not to try you might love it) I have read of Americans doing sweet feed(grain mol mix) with great success.

Just for something different. Sounds like a fun experiment to me.
Rumblepants

Postby bluc » Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:30 am

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby warramungas » Wed Jul 28, 2021 6:33 am

Worth a try with mollasses however might get a bit of rum taste.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Rumblepants » Sun Aug 01, 2021 8:51 am

warramungas wrote:Worth a try with mollasses however might get a bit of rum taste.

I'm kinda hoping for some whiskey/brandy/rum profile out of this. Should be interesting :)
Rumblepants

Postby BOB2 » Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:17 pm

Hi All, loving the forum but have run into question regarding Feints.
I am about 15 batchs in but this is the first with a "grain" mash. so i am still very new to the whiskey and oaking process.

I have just ran 3 generations of the nutrigrain wash thru a pot still (stripping runs), then combined the best parts of these strips for a final Distilling run starting at 35%abv

This has produced out of the pot still 6800ml in a range of 80%abv to 70%abv in 600ml takeoffs. I have read that keeping the 6800ml to oak is ideal (which is what I am going to do) as this has a nice flavour and nose profile.

Now for the question

Forums confuse me on if I should keep distilling down from 70%abv to 20% abv and keep these feints and reuse ? which appears to be the advice

If I keep to reuse ?
Do you reuse them to add in a final distilling run of another batch of stripped nutrigrain ?
Do you use them to add to a stripping wash run ?
Do you keep until you have enough to do a feints only final stipping run ?

Any advice to shed some light on this would be appreciated. :text-thankyoublue:
BOB2

equipment: Still Spirit TURBO 500 & Alembic Pot still on 25 ltr boiler

Postby Wellsy » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:38 pm

A couple of things to clear up Bob.
When you do your stripping runs keep all the product for the stripping runs. Don’t try and pick and chose from your stripping runs as everything is all jumbled up due to the speed we do stripping runs at.
The spirit run when you combine all the stripping runs is what you do nice and slow and this is where you need to make your cuts as to what you will keep and what you will redistill later in a feints run. There are no rules on selection as it all needs to be based on taste as every run will be a little different.
Have a reread of the making cuts topic in the newbie section mate.
Don’t get hung up on describing what things taste like initially just concentrate on what tastes good and what tastes like nail polish and that will be your heads cuts. And what tastes good and what tastes funk6 in a bad way and you have your tails sorted out mate.
Pop into the intro section and say hello and wha5 gear you are running
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Wellsy » Sat Aug 07, 2021 7:51 pm

BOB2 wrote:
Forums confuse me on if I should keep distilling down from 70%abv to 20% abv and keep these feints and reuse ? which appears to be the advice
Stripping runs I strip down to 20%, the spirit run I will usually stop at around 40% because spirit runs take a long time.

If I keep to reuse ?
Do you reuse them to add in a final distilling run of another batch of stripped nutrigrain ? Some of the bubbler users will add previous feints to the next spirit run as they can do spirit runs without the need for a stripping run
Do you use them to add to a stripping wash run ? No point in adding them to a stripping run
Do you keep until you have enough to do a feints only final stipping run ? When running my pot still I used to store all the fein5s until 8 had enough to do a feints run.

Any advice to shed some light on this would be appreciated. :text-thankyoublue:
Wellsy

Postby BOB2 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:18 pm

thanks Wellsy.. that has helped me a lot.. :-)
BOB2

Postby Wellsy » Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:23 pm

Too easy mate.

I can tell you I did not think it was that good to begin with. I mean I gave it 2 weeks lol, but give it the time it deserves and you will be rewarded with a lovely drop. After 6 months it gets a lot better but who can wait that long lol
Wellsy

Postby BOB2 » Sun Aug 08, 2021 9:04 pm

thanks for the advice: I have now got my heads and hearts sorted.

any recommendations on oaking ratio's and toast ratio's and duration on oak for the nutrigrain spirit

I have about 16 variations of tpw and another wine based spirit on american oak toasts ranging from 120 deg to 220deg and char combinations running at 20gms / litre and some up to 60gm/ltr trials but they have only been down a week. So its to early for me to draw any conclusions.

Im keen to lay down the nutrigrain.
Im assuming that the sweet spot for me is something like eg 180deg toast at 20gm/ltr of american oak chips at 62.5% abv. How long would you recommend keeping it on oak.
Some of the sites suggest 7 days on chips and others 3 months minimum ? Im keen not to over oak it ?

Some of my trials at 7 days have a very strong oak flavour already, and h im not sure if it will smooth out and get more complex flavour over time of if that raw oak flavour is there to stay ?
BOB2

Postby The Stig » Sun Aug 08, 2021 10:19 pm

Stay away from CHIPS, way too much end grain and will over oak in a few days.
Find staves, mini staves or dominoes
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby BigRig » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:04 am

BOB2 wrote:thanks for the advice: I have now got my heads and hearts sorted.

any recommendations on oaking ratio's and toast ratio's and duration on oak for the nutrigrain spirit

I have about 16 variations of tpw and another wine based spirit on american oak toasts ranging from 120 deg to 220deg and char combinations running at 20gms / litre and some up to 60gm/ltr trials but they have only been down a week. So its to early for me to draw any conclusions.

Im keen to lay down the nutrigrain.
Im assuming that the sweet spot for me is something like eg 180deg toast at 20gm/ltr of american oak chips at 62.5% abv. How long would you recommend keeping it on oak.
Some of the sites suggest 7 days on chips and others 3 months minimum ? Im keen not to over oak it ?

Some of my trials at 7 days have a very strong oak flavour already, and h im not sure if it will smooth out and get more complex flavour over time of if that raw oak flavour is there to stay ?

TPW is a neutral wash that you would be using for a gin or for use with an essence. I wouldnt bother oaking it. All you will end up with is a wood flavoured vodka. Keep the oak for the nutrigrain wash.

That over oaked flavour is there to stay, and wont develop in to anything special. You will need to dilute it with more spirit.

As Stig has said, chips are no good for long term oaking/aging with all the end grain. I personally wouldnt use them any longer than 12 -24 hours.

For reference i use medium toasted oak dominos at 7g/L. For a 5L demijohn thats approx 2 dominos per demi.

The general rule with oaking is less for longer.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby 2deadly.308 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:08 pm

Unna240 wrote:Thanks me and my brother were at the shops and he found it quite funny I was using cereal for moonshine had 10 kgs of raw sugar and 4 kilos of white sugar (for my second macwhiskey) I stripped the first one this morning and 4 big arse boxes of nutrigrain. We both found it weird that we didn't get any comments from the check out chick

Was she hot?
2deadly.308

equipment: .

50L keg boiler, 4800W

2" Potty

2" reflux

4" potty

4" 6 plate glass bubbler + 500mm packed section

Positive Mental Attitude

No friends

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development