Nutrigrain Wash Discussion Thread

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Nutrigrain Wash Discussion Thread

Postby poompy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:17 pm

Made this just over a week ago. Got some wierd looks from the missus. Looking to strip it (the wash that is) this fri and start the second gen. Will be adding a 800gm box of nutrigrain, 5kg of sugar and 5L of backset. Top up to 25l and leave to do its thing.

Repeat this up to the 5th gen. Removing some of grain bed if needed. How much grain bed is to much? besides a full fermenter of grain.

Planning to go all the way out to 5gens before i do a spirit run on all the strips.

Anyone see anything wrong with this?
poompy

equipment: SS T500
McStill Pot Still

Postby Brendan » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:18 pm

SBB wrote: a lot of the things Ive made really don't seem to have a lot of flavour until they have been oaked and aged for a few months.

I've found this with all my sugar washes... Thought it was me and how I was distilling it to start with, but was always the same until I went to all-grain :think:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby poompy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:37 pm

Brendan wrote:
SBB wrote: a lot of the things Ive made really don't seem to have a lot of flavour until they have been oaked and aged for a few months.

I've found this with all my sugar washes... Thought it was me and how I was distilling it to start with, but was always the same until I went to all-grain :think:

same for me... I was really dissapointed with the corn flake wash. I put it on some oak and forgot about it. 9months later and it has changed for the better and I love it!!
poompy

McStill Pot Still

Postby mattcoffs » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:44 pm

flamehawk wrote:Loving the nutrigrain wash. Just put down the 5th wash

I have not gone through all the pages here and I'll just post it anyway:)

Tried many ways to crush the pieces some have taken forever. Yesterday I boiled up sugar and had the kettle on. Poured sugar 10ltrs, kettle 4l and added the nutrigrain. I used used a bar-mix style blunder and it was done in a few minutes.

Piss easy and everyone loves the stuff!

I did mine in a tiny mortar & pestle... Would not recommend milling 1kg of nutrigrain using this method :laughing-rolling: :angry-banghead:

Just put mine on french oak! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
mattcoffs

equipment: T500 boiler. 2" boka. 2" pot. 100ltr SS stockpot boiler build

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:51 pm

I don't really think it needs to be crushed.. my kids leave nutrigrain in their brekky bowls and it's soggy after 10min. Dunno maybe it's just me but I have never bothered and doubt that you could notice a difference. Save yaself the time imo :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby P3T3rPan » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:05 pm

:text-+1:
Whiz it all together with a drill paint stirrer. Airate and mix at the same time
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby flamehawk » Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:54 pm

I prefer to blend it up. Settles out of the wash and its easy to collect.

No chance of floaters getting stuck in the tap either.

Tried the paint stirrer but it wont break it apart.
flamehawk

equipment: 4 plate custom built bubbler
50k Keg
2400w element

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:02 pm

I don't crush mine, when they sink to the bottom it's ready to run :D
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby gad » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:30 pm

Haven't made one of these yet but had recently asked my wife to keep an eye out for Nutri-Grain on special.

Coles sale 3rd Sept to 9th Sept 2014. They have 805g packs of Nutri-Grain at $5.
gad

equipment: pre 2005 - 25L Reflux / Pot Still,
Mar 2019 - 1.5" Reflux Still.
Aug 2019 - 2" self built Reflux / Pot still.
50L Keg boiler.

Postby The Stig » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:12 pm

Coles in QLD have Nutri-Grain on special - $3:85 for 805gm box.
I picked up 10 :laughing-rolling:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby poompy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:00 am

stripped the 5th gen last night. 25L spirit run this wknd. what i tasted off the still last night shows a lot of promise and the missus who is very fussy asked for more of a sample.
So i am thinking a minimum of a month on some oak?
poompy

McStill Pot Still

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:24 am

I wouldn't touch it for 3 months, afyer then start checking fortnightly for desired oaking. It'll be a goer come the 6 month mark
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby poompy » Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:25 am

Urrazeb wrote:I wouldn't touch it for 3 months, afyer then start checking fortnightly for desired oaking. It'll be a goer come the 6 month mark

Done.
poompy

McStill Pot Still

Postby Unna240 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:12 pm

In regards to lowans yeast is it the entire 280grams container of yeast?
Unna240

equipment: 4 inch neutraliser 50l keg boiler 2x 2400w elements, gin basket

Postby 1 2many » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:46 pm

Unna240 wrote:In regards to lowans yeast is it the entire 280grams container of yeast?

Say what, am I missing something?
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby MacStill » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:56 pm

1 2many wrote:
Unna240 wrote:In regards to lowans yeast is it the entire 280grams container of yeast?

Say what, am I missing something?

Just a couple of good heaped table spoons will do the trick, the T&P recipe doesnt actually give the qty ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Unna240 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:12 pm

Thanks me and my brother were at the shops and he found it quite funny I was using cereal for moonshine had 10 kgs of raw sugar and 4 kilos of white sugar (for my second macwhiskey) I stripped the first one this morning and 4 big arse boxes of nutrigrain. We both found it weird that we didn't get any comments from the check out chick
Unna240

equipment: 4 inch neutraliser 50l keg boiler 2x 2400w elements, gin basket

Postby unsub » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:10 am

Has anyone mashed the nutri-grain like you would normal grain? I put a 50l wash of this down the other day and mashed 4 big boxes that I blended with about 10-11l of water and a packet of high temp amylase enzyme just for shits and giggles. It started as a thick slush and then went to a really thin easy flowing liquid within an hour or so. I also used American Whiskey yeast instead of Lowans. I am going to do a side by side ferment of the tried and tested recipe as a control and to see the difference between the two. I'll have results in a few weeks.

cheers
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:29 am

Let us know how you go mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby unsub » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:24 am

Well I have finally managed to get one wash fermented and run. It was the mashed nutri-grain with American Whiskey yeast and it took about 3 weeks to ferment out and settle. I have not had a chance to do the standard recipe due to my other fermenter being taken up by a stalled rum wash but will be doing it this week.

I used majority nutri-grain and a small amount of coles brand equivalent. I don't know exactly why it took so long to ferment but I'm guessing it might be due to preservatives in the cereal because the PH was fine, it was oxygenated and had nutrients. One thing that I did not expect and was slightly troubling was at the end of the ferment a red/orange oil formed around the edge of the fermenter on top of the fermented wash. The wash smelled good and finished dry, just with an oil slick on top!

I siphoned the wash without any of the oil getting in the boiler (I think) and ran it though 4 plates. It turned out really nice and with the expected yield for the amount of sugar I used so I'm guessing that my efficiency was no good or mashing the cereal did not contribute much at all to the SG (I forgot to take the SG reading even though it behaved like a normal mash in that it was thick until I added the enzymes and then thinned right out.

I'm happy with the result, it smells grainy and sweet and is quite nice white but I have it aging with some medium toasted American oak and will probably finish it with some sherry soaked French oak to try and get an Irish style whiskey. The nutri-grain ingredients are similar to what goes into an Irish whiskey, barley, corn and oats so it might be a winner.

I'll report back the differences (if any) when I have done the tried and proven recipe.

cheers
unsub

equipment: 4" 5 Plate Column

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development