Pastis/Arak/Ouzo Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Pastis/Arak/Ouzo Recipe Discussion

Postby Sparrow » Tue Jul 04, 2017 2:44 pm

Could you achieve the same result macerating the ingredients in a neutral?
Sparrow

equipment: 4 plate bubbler on a 50l keg boiler.

Postby beaull » Fri Jul 07, 2017 2:58 pm

How do you the milky look when adding water, I have got the taste but not the milky look
beaull

equipment: still spirits t500
still spirits boiler 25 years old

Postby rumsponge » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:04 pm

you need more star anis - i think.
rumsponge

equipment: FSD 4" Neutralizer, 50L keg boiler with 2x2.4kW elements, 60L and 200L fermenters

Postby Professor Green » Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:42 pm

Based on your previous post beaull, it sounds like you steeped the ingredients in neutral then filtered it rather than pot stilling it is that right? If so I don't think you're getting the concentration of anethol from the star anise that you should be getting and therefore you won't get the louche you're looking for

Cheers,
Prof. Green
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby scythe » Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:40 am

Louche comes from dissolved oils in the ethanol precipatating out when the ABV drops.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby beaull » Sat Jul 08, 2017 3:37 pm

I don't have a pot still but this tastes pretty good to me.
beaull

Postby Professor Green » Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:21 pm

Ah, OK.

How long did you leave the botanicals in the spirit before you filtered it?

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head

Postby beaull » Sun Jul 09, 2017 2:31 pm

I have the milky look, I just put in more star anise and left it a bit longer.
beaull

Postby Professor Green » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:26 pm

A good result!

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head

Postby danwbrews » Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:00 pm

I'm not new to cooking or brewing, but I have a couple of questions about the recipe.

How much is a fistful of Star anise? I have read a blog that it is 1 cup. Is that about right? Sounds like a lot.

What type of cardamom pods are they. Green is immature, White are from Thailand, Black (brown) are from..... Blast... I can't remember. Maybe India or China.

Anyway, If someone could clarify I would sure put me at ease. I love Ouzo.
Thanks,
Dan
danwbrews

equipment: I'm new to the hobby. I've been a beer brewer for 23 years. Building a CCVM still that can be used as a pot still when I want.
I have a 15 gallon Keg with 2 2000 W electric heaters. with a 2"potstill head 20" tall and a 2" shotgun condenser 20" long with four 1/2" condenser tubes. A 1.5 meter packed column is in the works.

Postby Zzpop » Sat Jul 20, 2019 7:01 pm

What temp or abv to stop ouzo run ?
Zzpop

equipment: Boka and pot
4" 4 perf plate column +50lt boiler

Postby Wobblyboot » Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:17 pm

danwbrews wrote:I'm not new to cooking or brewing, but I have a couple of questions about the recipe.

How much is a fistful of Star anise? I have read a blog that it is 1 cup. Is that about right? Sounds like a lot.

What type of cardamom pods are they. Green is immature, White are from Thailand, Black (brown) are from..... Blast... I can't remember. Maybe India or China.

Thanks,
Dan

A bit late but might help in future. Just grabbed a fistful o star anise an it roughly 1 cup and weighed close to 50g.
I use green cardamom when I need it https://www.thespruceeats.com/all-about-cardamom-995599

Zzpop wrote:What temp or abv to stop ouzo run ?

I collect in jars and stop when output is cloudy. Then throw the previous jar or 2 away as well. Every still will perform different, u can’t run urs based on how someone else does it.
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby danwbrews » Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:18 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:
danwbrews wrote:I'm not new to cooking or brewing, but I have a couple of questions about the recipe.

Thanks,
Dan

A bit late but might help in future. Just grabbed a fistful o star anise an it roughly 1 cup and weighed close to 50g.
I use green cardamom when I need it https://www.thespruceeats.com/all-about-cardamom-995599

Zzpop wrote:What temp or abv to stop ouzo run ?

I collect in jars and stop when output is cloudy. Then throw the previous jar or 2 away as well. Every still will perform different, u can’t run urs based on how someone else does it.

Thanks, that makes me feel better. I just acquired a quarter barrel keg that I can move my heating elements to from my half barrel boiler. The smaller size will make this a little more affordable. Knowing quantities helps a lot. There's an Asian market close to me (on the way home from work ) that has great prices on spices .... some of which I wish I had an interpreter to help me find. :text-thankyoublue:
danwbrews

equipment: I'm new to the hobby. I've been a beer brewer for 23 years. Building a CCVM still that can be used as a pot still when I want.
I have a 15 gallon Keg with 2 2000 W electric heaters. with a 2"potstill head 20" tall and a 2" shotgun condenser 20" long with four 1/2" condenser tubes. A 1.5 meter packed column is in the works.

Postby garouda » Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:36 pm

So far I've been making my pastis like this:
in a 2-litre bottle (the one on the picture was my first attempt 1 litre or even 70cl, can't remember)
100g star anise
three to five chips of liquorice (root)
a teaspoon coriander seeds
some rosemary leaves
20grs sugar (not sure-a long time ago)
fill in the bottle with neutral (I could find 40%ABV only)
leave it for a fortnight and filter it (racking is enough), I got the nice cloudy yellow colour, and the taste was OK but not strong enough, because of the 40% limit....
Now I've just finished my first spirit run based on Ted's FFV, I want to use a higher neutral, but following the same recipe, target: pastis at 51% ABV (like Pastis 51) or 45% like Ricard...
I got about 8 litres of neutral at 95% ABV, I stopped collecting when I saw the t° rising and the smell became also quite stronger, there were 50 litres of low wines at 40% ABV in the boiler when I started my spirit run. So it'll be 4 litres Pastis down to 45 or 51% ABV, not decided yet and 4 litres Gin down to 43% ABV... :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
I may try to use my gin basket to produce my pastis, but not this time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
garouda

equipment: 100l boiler 3" column VM - 6" and 7 plates with dephlegmator (in progress - target, first run december 2022)

Previous

Return to Recipe Development