Espresso Infused Vodka Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Espresso Infused Vodka

Postby pootan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:08 am

grehund wrote:
pootan wrote:Tried this and it came out really good. Some seasoned Kahlua drinkers rated it better than "the real stuff" .

On the second batch I also added tablespoon of pure chocolate extract and gave it a nice finish.

Where can you get "pure chocolate extract"? Does it taste like Chocolate? I was thinking of using Cacao Beans/Nibs, but I think Choc Extract could be a better answer!

I got it from http://premiumgourmetfood.com.au/produc ... -food.html

They have heaps of extracts. I got the chocolate and vanilla and good value for $5 each
pootan

equipment: UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Espresso Infused Vodka

Postby Lupus » Tue Sep 04, 2012 12:23 pm

Out of curiosity, all the coffee infused alcohol recipes I have seen on spirit forums use a brewed espresso as its base. Where ese when infusing other flavours, they use the raw material. Eg limoncello uses lemon peels, the apple pie spirit uses cut apples and raisins/ sultanas. Why don't the coffee recipes use either the whole bean or grinds?

On a coffee forum, I have seen an example where a coffee nut used a cold drip filter set up to infuse vodka. Cold drip filtering coffee uses time to extract the flavours and oils of the coffee bean. Rather than pouring hot water into a pile of grinds, cold water is slowly dripped through a cup of coffee grinds, with a similar amount of water dripping out the other end. The process is incredibly slow, but produces a really smooth brew, minus the harsh bitterness of a heated cup. In the other forum, instead of ice water dripping onto the grinds, vodka was used. :)

Is there a reason why the recipes on spirit forums do not use a similar method, or use whole beans immersed in the spirit like it does with fruit?
Lupus

equipment: Total N00bie with lst to learn

Espresso Infused Vodka

Postby ChefRo » Tue Sep 04, 2012 1:15 pm

I have done a few batches with nice whole roasted beans. About 15 to 25 for a bottle at 40%. Make sure you strain it in 2 to 7 days. If not you get a really bad bitter taste. A bit of sugar doesn't go astray either.
I found vanilla and coffee to give the beat results.

Hope I helped a bit
ChefRo

equipment: 50l 2inch pot
90l S/S Bubbler
power controller
running out of bells and whistles to get

Espresso Infused Vodka

Postby Lupus » Tue Sep 04, 2012 4:59 pm

Chefro,
Thanks. I suspected over infusion would lead to bitterness. Out of curiosity, we're the beans roasted to espresso level? I found that for cold drip filtered coffee, a lighter roast is preferable, and I am wondering whether this would be the case here. Think I might have to crack out the roaster to give this a shot.

Sugar syrup is a most definite must, specially since I have a sweet tooth. The vanilla, going to have to give it a shot :)

BTW, here is the thread and forum discussing the cold drip coffee plus pictures of the setup

http://coffeesnobs.com.au/brewing-equip ... offee.html

Hope the mods don't mind the cross posting of another forum, but a chance to mix my two passions :) well two of them anyway
Lupus

equipment: Total N00bie with lst to learn

Postby Andy » Sun Apr 14, 2013 12:06 am

this is bullshit nice!!

Been using it to make some espresso martini. 2 shots of this gold, 1 shot white creme de cacao, in a cocktail shaker full of ice. shake that bad boy up to get it nice and frothy. into a chiiled martini glass and its delicious!!
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Jesiah » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:39 am

Lupus wrote:Out of curiosity, all the coffee infused alcohol recipes I have seen on spirit forums use a brewed espresso as its base. Where ese when infusing other flavours, they use the raw material. Eg limoncello uses lemon peels, the apple pie spirit uses cut apples and raisins/ sultanas. Why don't the coffee recipes use either the whole bean or grinds?

On a coffee forum, I have seen an example where a coffee nut used a cold drip filter set up to infuse vodka. Cold drip filtering coffee uses time to extract the flavours and oils of the coffee bean. Rather than pouring hot water into a pile of grinds, cold water is slowly dripped through a cup of coffee grinds, with a similar amount of water dripping out the other end. The process is incredibly slow, but produces a really smooth brew, minus the harsh bitterness of a heated cup. In the other forum, instead of ice water dripping onto the grinds, vodka was used. :)

Is there a reason why the recipes on spirit forums do not use a similar method, or use whole beans immersed in the spirit like it does with fruit?

I wouldn't mascerate coffee grinds in the vodka as you get so many different oils in the beans, some of which are quite unpalatable, and come out at higher temperatures, the vodka would draw those out. Whole beans might work, but as long as you took them out after a couple days or else you would get the said bitter flavours.

I might just settle for a bottle of bickfords ice coffee syrup, cheating I know but oh well it's what I use for my coffee stout and I have some on hand.
Jesiah

equipment: Mcstill Copper Pot.
McStill Copper Reflux.
50 Litre keg boiler with an exploded Keg King element that no longer works nor wants to leave my keg.

Postby SBB » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:25 pm

Jesiah wrote: bickfords ice coffee syrup

That stuff makes a mean Iced Coffee and Id be pretty sure it has plenty potential for making a Coffee style Liquore,
Dunno if id use it for this recipe though, its not supposed to be a Kahlua clone, it is what the title says.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Jesiah » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:56 pm

SBB wrote:

That stuff makes a mean Iced Coffee and Id be pretty sure it has plenty potential for making a Coffee style Liquore,
Dunno if id use it for this recipe though, its not supposed to be a Kahlua clone, it is what the title says.

Yeah I think the bickfords would end up too sweet, I just read up on how to do that cold drip coffee extract, I think it would be pretty nice, just mix a litre of that with a litre of 90%. maybe some Agave syrup to sweeten.

Pretty easy to do with a 2 litre coke bottle, some coffee filters, some felt and course coffee grinds.

Just wish we didn't have such shit coffee at work.
Jesiah

McStill Copper Reflux.
50 Litre keg boiler with an exploded Keg King element that no longer works nor wants to leave my keg.

Postby Sam. » Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:24 pm

Jesiah wrote:
SBB wrote:

Yeah I think the bickfords would end up too sweet, I just read up on how to do that cold drip coffee extract, I think it would be pretty nice, just mix a litre of that with a litre of 90%. maybe some Agave syrup to sweeten.

Pretty easy to do with a 2 litre coke bottle, some coffee filters, some felt and course coffee grinds.

Just wish we didn't have such shit coffee at work.

Probably wouldn't go using a coke bottle to put 90% booze in mate, unless you like the taste and possible health affects of plastic :puke-huge:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Jesiah » Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:35 pm

No you use that as a siphon to cold filter the coffee and ice water, then add the results to 90% to bring it down to 40%.

That way the neutral would not be bringing unwanted flavours.
Jesiah

McStill Copper Reflux.

Postby CyBaThUg » Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:47 pm

What do u drink it with milk ?
CyBaThUg

equipment: pot still

Postby SBB » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:25 pm

CyBaThUg wrote:What do u drink it with

Ice
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:09 pm

SBB wrote:

Ice

Only if the fridge was closer than the bottle :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Sam. » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Jesiah wrote:No you use that as a siphon to cold filter the coffee and ice water, then add the results to 90% to bring it down to 40%.

That way the neutral would not be bringing unwanted flavours.

Aaaahhhh ;-) i was reading that a way different way :oops:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby SBB » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:12 am

My old Mum is pretty keen on this stuff, she 3/4 fills a small glass, then floats a small layer of fresh cream on top.
You have to pour the cream slowly down the side of the glass so it doesn't mix, It looks pretty good and tastes even better. Each sip you get a little cream and some straight coffee vodka without it mixing in the glass.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby cuz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:07 pm

Thanks for this recipe guys!!

After yesterdays performance, I now have lots of neutral to play with.

1st cab off the rank was this one. Followed the 1st post recipe except used about 300gms of sugar and used vanilla paste instead of beans.
Made about 1 litre ish, so its slowly brew away as we speak. Looks and smells wonderful already!!

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
cuz

equipment: Boka noobie

Espresso Infused Vodka

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:22 pm

cuz wrote:Thanks for this recipe guys!!

After yesterdays performance, I now have lots of neutral to play with.

1st cab off the rank was this one. Followed the 1st post recipe except used about 300gms of sugar and used vanilla paste instead of beans.
Made about 1 litre ish, so its slowly brew away as we speak. Looks and smells wonderful already!!

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Wait a month if you can.

Try my banana liqueur:

1L neutral
3 bananas
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/2 cup sugar syrup
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Leave it 5 days, do a rough filter through a seive. Add another 2 bananas & wait another 5 days.

Then do a filter through cheese cloth or a clean tea towel or coffee filters.

This shit disappears too fast. Tastiest shot ever!
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby SBB » Sun Apr 21, 2013 5:34 pm

cuz wrote:vanilla paste instead of beans.

The paste is the go, Ive tried both ways.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Espresso Infused Vodka

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:10 pm

SBB wrote:

Eh I'm 50/50... The paste is more concentrated but takes a lot more filtering in my experience. Beans are a truer flavour for me - why does the paste win for ya?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby cuz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 6:48 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:
SBB wrote:

Eh I'm 50/50... The paste is more concentrated but takes a lot more filtering in my experience. Beans are a truer flavour for me - why does the paste win for ya?

Price for me. 1 vanilla bean @ safeway was $9 and a small jar of paste $10.
cuz

equipment: Boka noobie

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development