Limoncello Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Limoncello

Postby SBB » Thu Jun 13, 2013 4:02 pm

Freeze the juice in ice trays, tip the blocks into a bag when they are frozen, defrost as needed for your next TPW.
Lemoncello is best kept in the freezer and drunk ice cold, give it a shake and pour.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Limoncello

Postby kingy » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:21 pm

How many cubes would you use in a 50litre tpw wash SSB? I just threw my lemons out after zesting lol
kingy

equipment: 4inch modular up to 5 plates and a packed section
50 litre 2x 2400w elements boiler
100 litre E herms brewery with a 130litre gas boiler

Postby SBB » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:48 pm

What ever amount equals roughly the juice of one lemon. Different ice cubes are different sizes.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby fizzydrink » Wed Oct 02, 2013 6:17 pm

Is attempting this with a low neutral a waste of time or just leave it longer?
Wanted to make this but have already cut my neutral
fizzydrink

equipment: Did have a Still spirits 25l super reflux, now a T500.
Slowly working my way up. ..

Postby Canadoz » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:30 pm

I use a similar recipe, but I don't like it cloudy so I add more 95% neutral until it clears. The cloudiness is the "ouzo effect" and happens with any oil (citrus in this case) dissolved in alcohol.
at around 48-50% the oil splits out of solution and becomes an emulsion instead. It's pretty weird to play around with the balance point. Add a little water suddenly it's cloudy. Add a little neutral and it's clear.

It also gives a handy reference point for A.B.V. since once the sugar's in the hydrometer is useless.

I like to bottle mine at an estimated 70% ABV and serve little nips of it over ice, as it starts clear and usually clouds within a few minutes from the dilution on the ice. It's too sugary to do much more than sip at.
Canadoz

equipment: Modified stainless Keggomax CM reflux column, Copper 2" modular pot still with shotgun condenser. 50L Keg boiler w/ 3500W & 2500W elements, Phase angle controller.

Postby Kimbo » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:06 am

I usually bottle mine at 40%, I like mine cloudy like the traditional Limoncello.
I generally soak my zest in 80% that way it makes it easy to dilute. Oh!, and I halve the sugar in the original recipe(you can always add more back in later)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Brigand » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:22 am

Just stumbled on this lemon suspension technique

Might be worth experimenting

http://gizmodo.com/how-to-make-the-best ... 1533528095

Cheers
Brigand

equipment: 4" SS 6 Plate Bubbler
2" VM 1500mm Packed
2" Pot 500mm
5L Copper Alembic

Postby Brendan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:54 am

That is a good method. The suspension technique is common for many liqueurs and some polish vodkas even.

We have found great results in certain liqueurs here from suspension, where you are looking for a lighter flavour :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Kimbo » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:05 pm

Yeah, that method is traditionally used for making Cointreau. I tried it with oranges once and failed miserably.
Good luck dude, I hope you have better success than me :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Brendan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:36 pm

Kimbo wrote:Yeah, that method is traditionally used for making Cointreau. I tried it with oranges once and failed miserably.
Good luck dude, I hope you have better success than me :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Wrong thread, but one of the keys to Cointreau is that both heavy and light oils are extracted from the orange, and they use a centrifuge to spin out the heavier oils and collect the distillate which has been flavoured by the lighter oils only...hot tip :D (I'm thinking of trying to use my stir plate to spin it, and then figure out a way to extract from the center :?

To keep on track, i'm going to give this Limoncello method/recipe a go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

Postby Smbjk » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:26 pm

Brendan wrote:
Kimbo wrote:Yeah, that method is traditionally used for making Cointreau. I tried it with oranges once and failed miserably.

Wrong thread, but one of the keys to Cointreau is that both heavy and light oils are extracted from the orange, and they use a centrifuge to spin out the heavier oils and collect the distillate which has been flavoured by the lighter oils only...hot tip :D (I'm thinking of trying to use my stir plate to spin it, and then figure out a way to extract from the center :?

To keep on track, i'm going to give this Limoncello method/recipe a go :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:-B :-B :-B very technical. Why not try the washing maching on spin :laughing-rolling:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Brendan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:49 pm

I actually got that wrong...they remove the lighter oils from the centre which give zesty flavours. Apparently if they left it all in, it would be overwhelmingly zesty.

Anyways, back to Limoncello...it's all citrus :shifty:
Brendan

Postby peterhobit » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:33 pm

Made a batch of this, used 2 liters of 92% neutral 30 lemons soaked it for 7 days and the peel was almost brittle when I took it out today. Added 2 liters of water and 2 kg of white sugar boiled up into a sugar syrup. Cooled it and blended it all together. By volume there was about 3 liters of sugar syrup added to the alcohol, so I am guessing the final result is around 38% alcohol. Just had a little sample on ice and it is wonderful. Definitely going to make more.

Thanks for the recipe Brigand, cheers :obscene-drinkingchug:
peterhobit

equipment: 5SD six plate bubbler with packed section a Gin caddy + 5SD 60 liter boiler

Re: Limoncello Recipe Discussion

Postby C2H6O » Thu Sep 04, 2014 6:40 pm

Girlfriends 30th in a few weeks so thought I'd give this a go to keep the girls happy.. Lemons were a bit green but an hour in and it's already smelling awesome.. Might need to make a few more liters..

lemon.JPG

Edit: Phone didn't attach pic
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby SBB » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:01 pm

C2 Ive read that lemons that are just a little under ripe can make for a better end result, I cant say for sure if its right as Ive never tried to do it that way.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby C2H6O » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:16 pm

SBB I did read that in one of your earlier posts which got me thinking it might be interesting to try, so i raided the neighbors tree.
I have a few Italians who will be around when its on offer so will be good to hear their opinions.. Will keep you filled in on how it goes :handgestures-thumbupleft:
C2H6O

Postby C2H6O » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:31 am

The slightly greener lemons i used worked fantastic!! Beautiful yellow cloudy colour.. Had a bit of a gathering at mine on Sat and everyone loved the stuff, over 2 liters disappeared before the night even got going. I made it up with half of the sugar and the Italians that came said it was perfect!

Cheers
C2H6O

Postby SBB » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:15 pm

Thats good to hear C2, in this hobby we keep on learning, Ive yet to try lemons that are a little under ripe.
C2H6O wrote:Beautiful yellow cloudy colour.

From the reading Ive done some cloudiness can be caused by adding the sugar mix to the spirit while still slightly warm, If you go back to about page one of this thread you will see some really cloudy stuff I made on my first attempt. Personally I think it looks pretty good that way.
There is yet another type of Lemoncello made using Milk as the base that I want to try soon.
From memory its called "Crema di Limoncello" Google should bring up recipes if you want to give that a try.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby fizzydrink » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:50 pm

Hey all.. i just made some of this.. nice a lemony. Sweet enough i think from sugar. And its about 65%.

Question is it tastes ok when u have a taste but there seems to be a real "screw your face up, what the fuck is that burning?' After taste.

Silly question but would that just be the fact it's about 65% or something else?

Cheers!

Fd
fizzydrink

equipment: Did have a Still spirits 25l super reflux, now a T500.
Slowly working my way up. ..

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:46 pm

65% I would say is the cause
I like mine at about 50% bit of a burn, not too sweet and have it once in a while :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development