Limoncello Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Limoncello Recipe Discussion

Postby fizzydrink » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:10 pm

Cheers.. ill dilute a bit more..
fizzydrink

equipment: Did have a Still spirits 25l super reflux, now a T500.
Slowly working my way up. ..

Postby Sam. » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:23 pm

If you have followed the T&P recipe it should be well under 65%.

Also I would not recommend drinking anything at that strength. It will end poorly :shifty:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:03 pm

Sam. wrote:If you have followed the T&P recipe it should be well under 65%.

Also I would not recommend drinking anything at that strength. It will end poorly :shifty:

Only if you made bad cuts :music-deathmetal: :laughing-rolling: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Sam. » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:08 pm

Urrazeb wrote:
Sam. wrote:If you have followed the T&P recipe it should be well under 65%.

Only if you made bad cuts :music-deathmetal: :laughing-rolling: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I disagree, alcohol isn't meant to be drank at that strength. After two glasses you are absolutely done. Not what you want really, and it will still have the burn no matter how good your cuts are. Ethanol is ethanol at the end of the day.

I would suggest that this recipe done true would be near 40%, depending on the starting strength, but if you want to drink this stuff on ice I would go back to about 20% which would make for a better after dinner drink :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:13 pm

Ok that was a bit silly of me :oops: sometimes I forget there are newbies and (sorry to say) probably full blown alcos reading the content here.

I never drink anything above 50% bar the odd "cask strength" that I do so responsibly and at my own risk. But yes Sam your right about 40% is the T&P
Urrazeb

Postby Sam. » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:17 pm

It's all good mate, I find even the cask strength whiskys you can buy change dramatically and for the better when a little water is added :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Getting a little :text-offtopic: here.

The original recipe I think is allright, but when I have made it I have ended up drinking it with lemonade or soda anyway :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

18 Gal boiler.

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:21 pm

Mine always goes with a couple of cubes, and I also nearly half the sugar like a lot of others. Free lemons from the neighbours make it that little bit sweeter ;-)
Urrazeb

Postby fizzydrink » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:03 am

Is there a way to see what %abv my lemoncello is?
fizzydrink

Postby Urrazeb » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:07 am

Same as the SGD mate or any drink with sugar in it. You need to know how much of x% went in and your final volume then work it out that way.

The are calculators on the site for dilution :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

Postby Zyrom » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:39 am

fizzydrink wrote:Is there a way to see what %abv my lemoncello is?

yes there is and different methods

I do Alcohol (%ABV) Determination tests all the time to ensure our products are quality and most importantly the Australian Tax Office (ATO) is not missing out. (Damn Excise)

If you were to take a sample of you product and try and measure alcohol via density, alcohometre even light reftaction your result will be inaccurate. this is because the measuring devices are calibrated for alcohol and water only. hence the sugars, lemon particle and lemon oil (Limonene B.P. 176 Deg C) are changing the reading.

The method we at the Hunter Distillery undertake is to just get a mixture of alcohol and water for a set volume then apply the measuring instruments to determine the alcohol content.

If you were to take a determined volume (we use calibrated 500ml flasks). Distill that volume so that all the alcohol is collected (we use a Lab Still). then add water into the collected alcohol back upto the original volume determined (500ml). what you have create a mixture of alcohol and water that your instruments then will be able to analyse.
for example we measure via a calibrated flask 500ml of product. A determined volume of product is now established. we then add this to our lab still. boil it and collect all the alcohol. as we have collected all the alcohol from 500ml of product we then need to make the volume backup to 500ml as to replicate the original product now with only water and alcohol. then we test with calibrated alcohmeters the %ABV ( as the alcohometers measurements are set for 20 Degrees Celcius ) we take a temperature reading and correct the recorded %ABV to the actual %ABV. The temperature reading is critical as density will change due to temperature. however i doubt you need to be this accurate.

I have outlined 1 method as there are other ways to determine %ABV of a mixture that we use as a Commercial Distillery
Zyrom

equipment: 1 x300 L Pot Still
1 x 150L working capacity 6 Plate Fractional Column Still (VM) this can be converted to a second 300L pot still via a 3 way valve
1 lab still for testing and pilot runs
1 x 25L reflux still gathering dust.

Postby fizzydrink » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:27 pm

Thanks for the detailed response!
fizzydrink

Postby Plumby » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:12 pm

Made my first batch of this today. I used a zester to get the rind off the lemons and I juiced the lemons when I was done and got nearly 500 ml juice for future tpw's.
Will 7 days be long enough or too long in the 92% neutral since its really small zest not strips? I just don't want it to go bitter from sitting too long.
Thanks in advance
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:16 pm

If you avoided the white pith it shouldn't go bitter at all, but won't get any more flavour after a few days.

I've left them for months and it's still a cracker 8-} :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

Postby Plumby » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:27 pm

Ok, good to know. I avoided the pith totally.
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby sp0rk » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:14 am

I've just had 18 huge organic lemons dropped on my desk at work, so I guess I'll be making some Limoncello
I've got 4.5L of neutral at home, but the SS Super Reflux still I was using had some leaks around the digital thermo and bung I'd trimmed up to fit in the top, which I'm guessing is why I ended up with 4.5L of 75% after cuts (couldn't hit any higher abv)
Should this be right to make my Limoncello, or should I give it another run through with a proper non-leaking thermo & bung to try and get some ~90% abv neutral?
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby MacStill » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:54 am

sp0rk wrote:I've just had 18 huge organic lemons dropped on my desk at work, so I guess I'll be making some Limoncello
I've got 4.5L of neutral at home, but the SS Super Reflux still I was using had some leaks around the digital thermo and bung I'd trimmed up to fit in the top, which I'm guessing is why I ended up with 4.5L of 75% after cuts (couldn't hit any higher abv)
Should this be right to make my Limoncello, or should I give it another run through with a proper non-leaking thermo & bung to try and get some ~90% abv neutral?

I would freeze the lemons mate, you want something very neutral to make a great limoncello :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby sp0rk » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:51 am

So 75% ABV neutral plus frozen lemons (I'm guessing to kill bugs) should be fine?
Sorry to be pedantic, just don't want to waste all these lemons
sp0rk

2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka

Postby MacStill » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:57 am

sp0rk wrote:So 75% ABV neutral plus frozen lemons (I'm guessing to kill bugs) should be fine?
Sorry to be pedantic, just don't want to waste all these lemons

No, I mean freeze the lemons until you have some good neutral to use mate, I think you need to re-distill your 75% gear as it probably isnt going to be anything like a proper neutral.

Hope that helps :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby FireKitty » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:00 pm

I found this page usefulhttp://www.creative-culinary.com/the-best-limoncello-is-homemade-limoncello/, shows a bit about peeling without getting pith, key is using a brand new peeler (don't be a tightass, they're less than $2 for a pack of 3-4) and don't press too hard... Microplaning is deemed harder as it has a higher change of getting pith in it, same as using bumpy-skinned lemons - smooth skin is the way to go :handgestures-thumbupleft:
FireKitty

equipment: Ultra Pure reflux still with 30L boiler

Postby sp0rk » Wed Oct 29, 2014 12:01 pm

Ahhh, I get it 8-}
The lemons should be good for another week or so (only picked this morning), I'll grab a new thermo and redistill this weekend
I've still got the feints, might chuck them back in too
Thanks a bunch Mac!
sp0rk

2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development