Rum Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Rum

Postby Kimbo » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:17 pm

Hi Lowndsey,
I know what you mean. Leave it foe as long as you can.... you wont regret it :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MacStill » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:18 pm

Glad you like it :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Big Don is not far up the road from you and can source chicken teeth & rocking horse shit by the truck load.... send him a pm, I'm sure he'd be able to help out ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby SBB » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:27 pm

I know what your saying Lowndsey. Good shit isnt it ;-) ........Try n get some oak staves and give them a heavy toast,,,,,,it gets even better.
in the mean time it might be possible to toast some American Oak chips from a HBS. Probably someone here who has tried that method and can advise you on that.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:42 am

Hey Loundsy,I got a heap of oak staves,just flick me a PM and I'll drop some down for ya,im in Tville 3-4 times a week :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Lowndsey » Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:53 pm

Wow what an awesome friendly site. Cheers Big Don sent you a pm. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby Lowndsey » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:56 pm

Ok so I caved a poured off just 1 700ml bottle out of the demijohn... :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: ...JUST 1 ....THAT'S IT. The rest will age...haha :laughing-rolling:
The missus is still shaking her head at me in disgust of my lack of self discipline. But it tastes pretty nice to me. Got a slight bourbon smell and taste though but I am told that fades in time? mmmmmm
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby MacStill » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:24 pm

In time that grotesque bourbon taste will mellow into some sweet funky goodness of magical molasses tasting medicine :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby LWTCS » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:36 pm

Yes the oaky bourbon notes are just an indicator that your rum is quite young.
Some say at least a year on oak,,,,,,,,puh,good luck with that.
Cheers
LWTCS

equipment: 52 liter primary boiler
Quad thumping system
4500 watt W/100% variable controller

Postby Apple-O-Me-Eye » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:50 pm

Lowndsey wrote:So after only ever using Home Brew shop flavourings for rum I tried this recipe following it exactly. Only put some oak chips in 2 days ago and being an impatient sort of person and being my first batch and all I thought it would be safe to at least have a little sample. All I can say is ..HOLY SHIT.The flavour and body of the rum in comparison to the weak tasting watery flavourings was night and day. If thats how it tastes in 2 days I can't wait to try it after 3 months. Unfortunately I can't see it lasting that long. If it gets to 3 weeks it will be some kind of hell freezing over minor miracle. Got the second generation wash sealed up in the fermenter right now. I'm hooked. Haven't been able to source any oak staves or sticks up here in Townsville yet so for now I am stuk using plantation chips...shortly I will shell out for an oak barrel or 2 I am thinking. So thanks for the recipe and for adding a little bit more aging to this rum drinkers liver :D

You can go to your local garden supplier and buy a 1/2 wine barrel for $60. Plane the surfaces and remove the shitty wine residue to expose the virgen wood inside. I'm sure there are plenty of people of the forum who would be willing to relieve you of the excess staves for a few bucks.
Apple-O-Me-Eye

equipment: I run a pot still with liebeg condenser, 90deg line arm on a gas poweredkeg boiler

Postby Kimbo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:59 pm

Apple-O-Me-Eye wrote:
You can go to your local garden supplier and buy a 1/2 wine barrel for $60. Plane the surfaces and remove the shitty wine residue to expose the virgen wood inside. I'm sure there are plenty of people of the forum who would be willing to relieve you of the excess staves for a few bucks.

On the other hand, you could leave the wine soaked oak on and give your rum quite a nice flavour....,try it ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:33 pm

kimbo wrote:On the other hand, you could leave the wine soaked oak on and give your rum quite a nice flavour....,try it

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Apple-O-Me-Eye » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:07 pm

kimbo wrote:
Apple-O-Me-Eye wrote:

On the other hand, you could leave the wine soaked oak on and give your rum quite a nice flavour....,try it ;-)

Personally in this instance I wouldn't leave the wine on the oak staves as the barrels that I've seen and bought have been left out in the elements and usually have a nasty coating of white or green mould on the inside. If I bought it direct from a vineyard i'd use them as is after a boil and fresh char and enjoy the wine flavour.
Apple-O-Me-Eye

equipment: I run a pot still with liebeg condenser, 90deg line arm on a gas poweredkeg boiler

Postby stubbydrainer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:18 pm

SBB was having scrounge around looking for barrel staves for the both of us and came across some at a nursery, own by one of his friends or something.. he found out that they treat them for termites/white ants, not sure now of the exact details but I'm sure SBB would be only to happy to elaborate further on this

treated wood/barrels for termites is ....something to be aware of :o

cheers
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby Apple-O-Me-Eye » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:23 pm

stubbydrainer wrote:SBB was having scrounge around looking for barrel staves for the both of us and came across some at a nursery, own by one of his friends or something.. he found out that they treat them for termites/white ants, not sure now of the exact details but I'm sure SBB would be only to happy to elaborate further on this

treated wood/barrels for termites is ....something to be aware of :o

cheers

Ooh bugger, might have to rethink this method then.
Apple-O-Me-Eye

Postby stubbydrainer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:29 pm

yeah, bugger, I had no idea that this was being done , and I got a real wake-up call as well :shock: :shock: :o :o
stubbydrainer

Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller

Postby Kimbo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:31 pm

Would the Wineries risk having their wine tainted by treating their barrels with Bifenthrin?
or would they treat the perimeter of their storage shed ;-)
food for thought anyway :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby SBB » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:36 pm

Ya got the story ballsed up Draino............a mate was gunna give me a couple of oak barrels....he had cut them in half for pots but never used them....he was an X white ant exterminator bloke........as I was about to load them up he said........"Whoops maybe ya wont want them I sprayed them to stop the white ants eatting them".....that put an end to that.........The other ones i was after where from a nursery ..fresh from the winery but were just to expensive so I left them there.
Moral of the story is .....if anyone wants to give you old oak barrels ask a few questions about past uses or where they could have been and whats been in them or on them.
Last edited by SBB on Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby stubbydrainer » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:39 pm

I stand corrected thanks for clearing it up SBB :handgestures-thumbupleft:
stubbydrainer

Postby SBB » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:42 pm

No problem mate.. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
SBB
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:31 pm

Wonder if the garden centres get them sprayed ?

Pretty serious shit this, wouldnt wanna be soaking your hard earned hooch in poison :shock:

But I've had some red wine barrel staves that were stained & had a white sugary coating on the stain, I loved the flavour it gave my UJ :handgestures-thumbupleft: I just thought it was sugars that stuck to the staves during the aging process :think:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development