Fine Scotch Whisky Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Fine Scotch Whisky Recipe Discussion

Postby Dyno » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:28 am

Sam. wrote:
Dyno wrote:I wouldn't be .putting any shit in yr boiler with this recipe unless yr a rich prick who can chuck money away.

This would be by far the most expensive sugar head wash to start with. The cost of a proper condition or butter/oil etc is fuck all in the scheme of things.

If your running on gas and can throw a heap more power at it you might find foaming a bit more of an issue.

100% spot in . Apologies if my reply was a bit harsh. Was taken back a bit with suggestions of possibly contaminating a really expensive wash. I'm six runs in an almost ready for the 7th with no issues of puking. It's as the name suggests, a FINE brew
Dyno

equipment: Home made Pot

Postby Sam. » Sun Jul 23, 2017 8:30 am

Agreed, this would be my pick of sugar heads for quality but yeah it is costly unless you have a cheap source of extract.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Mormash » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:31 pm

I've just bottled a 60l wash of this stuff that I ran through my 4" using 4 bubblers and there's hardly any smokiness at all even though I used heavy peated. The tail/fients on the other hand where like campfire smoke. Just wondering if anyone here has ran this for a single spirit run and whether the smokiness comes through after ageing?
Mormash

equipment: 4" Plated Column Still with 5 bubble tee's and gin caddy
50l boiler
3 vessel herms brewing system
5 x 60l fermenters

Postby Dyno » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:34 am

Mormash wrote:I've just bottled a 60l wash of this stuff that I ran through my 4" using 4 bubblers and there's hardly any smokiness at all even though I used heavy peated. The tail/fients on the other hand where like campfire smoke. Just wondering if anyone here has ran this for a single spirit run and whether the smokiness comes through after ageing?

I’ve always double distilled thru a potstill. The hearts are generally lighter on flavour so you need to cautiously blend from the back end ie tails.. I would imagine using 4 plates it would pretty well clean the hearts right out. Maybe try 2 plates next time. There’s a thread up at moment where the Doc strips in pot mode then spirit runs with two plates. A better grain in my opinion is Gladfields Smoked Manuka. That seems to carry well thru the heart section. Maybe I’m dreaming but that’s how it tastes . The actual smell when u open the sack is very mild, much more mild than Baird’s Peated.Maybe the absorption is better. Certainly heavier in flavour.
Dyno

equipment: Home made Pot

Postby EziTasting » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:03 pm

Tails is renown to hold the smokiness... I haven’t tried it yet but all reading points to adding tails for flavours and smoke - be cautious and go easy!

There is also a point in tails (approx. 10-5%ABV) where some sweetness(??) or other bonus lies! Some real gold, apparently... things to look out for!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Mormash » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:46 pm

Dyno wrote:
Mormash wrote:I've just bottled a 60l wash of this stuff that I ran through my 4" using 4 bubblers and there's hardly any smokiness at all even though I used heavy peated. The tail/fients on the other hand where like campfire smoke. Just wondering if anyone here has ran this for a single spirit run and whether the smokiness comes through after ageing?

I’ve always double distilled thru a potstill. The hearts are generally lighter on flavour so you need to cautiously blend from the back end ie tails.. I would imagine using 4 plates it would pretty well clean the hearts right out. Maybe try 2 plates next time. There’s a thread up at moment where the Doc strips in pot mode then spirit runs with two plates. A better grain in my opinion is Gladfields Smoked Manuka. That seems to carry well thru the heart section. Maybe I’m dreaming but that’s how it tastes . The actual smell when u open the sack is very mild, much more mild than Baird’s Peated.Maybe the absorption is better. Certainly heavier in flavour.

Thanks for the advise, dyno. I was hoping I could pull heaps of peat flavour off of four plates but as you said it just seems to strip it right out so I'll try two plates and see how I go. It makes me wonder what other interesting flavour it's removing.
I'll give that peated malt you mentioned a try too as Islay whiskey's are my favourite and if I can come close to copying some of the greats I'll be one happy drinker! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Mormash

50l boiler
5 x 60l fermenters

Postby coffe addict » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:13 am

With peat, you need to add quite a bit of tails. This is more pronounced on a plated still as they are very effective at holding the heavier stuff back. With mine 3plates and usual take off speed but toward the beginning of tails I add more heat to force more peat through. With 100% heavy peat mash it's nearly peaty enough.
I have taken to making peat reek aswell to get it to where I want.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby Mormash » Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:00 pm

coffe addict wrote:With peat, you need to add quite a bit of tails. This is more pronounced on a plated still as they are very effective at holding the heavier stuff back. With mine 3plates and usual take off speed but toward the beginning of tails I add more heat to force more peat through. With 100% heavy peat mash it's nearly peaty enough.
I have taken to making peat reek aswell to get it to where I want.

Ok so when yoiu say you add quite a lot of tails do you mean by adding a few jars directly after the hearts or do you run the tails for quite some time and add some very late tails?

With three plates what abv do you drop to before you begin to strip?

When you say you've taken to making peat reek do you mean you peat your own malt or is that a type of recipe? I googled it but all I found was general peated malt answers.
Mormash

50l boiler
5 x 60l fermenters

Postby Dig Brinker » Fri Dec 22, 2017 12:21 am

Search here for peet reak. At least a couple of threads.
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby Sam. » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:15 am

:text-+1: reckon old dog had a good one somewhere
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Mossimo » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:38 am

Hi Guys,
this post has been dormant for a few years so hopefully someone is still watching it,
i made the mash up yesterday but when i pitched the yeast i think the wort was way to hot (didn't have a thermometer, pitched the yeast went to the shops got a thermometer and measured when i got back, was 42c) so i pitched at around 45 ish i guess,
next day it is fermenting but very slow, about a bubble a second through the airlock...
questions is, have i killed allot of the yeast and should i pitch another packet?
i go away for work for 2 weeks tomorrow so...
thanks
Mossimo

equipment: Homemade reflux still

Postby BigRig » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:51 am

I would add another packet. You would hate for an infection to take hold before yeast multiplied enough.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Mossimo » Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:54 am

to easy, thats what i will do,

would you re-hydrate or just put it straight in the mash?
Mossimo

Postby BigRig » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:06 pm

Just scoop some of the mash out and rehydrate in that.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Mossimo » Sun Feb 13, 2022 12:08 pm

to easy,
thanks heaps, appreciate it
Mossimo

Postby Mossimo » Fri Jun 03, 2022 11:23 am

hi guys,
another newbie type question,

im guessing this is an infection? the mash smells great but after i ran it through the pot still, strip and spirit run, its smelling like vinegar and doesn't taste real good. ive had good success with the nutri grain washes and countless TPW, but for the life of me i cant get this one right.
thanks in advance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mossimo

Postby Bob9863 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:45 pm

If it's smelling and tasting like vinegar then it's a 99% chance it's turned to viniger.

We have all been there, especially me as I open air Ferment so when it's time to run you can't put it off or it will sour pretty quickly.

It should taste more like beer without the hops if it's properly Fermented, preferably with a smokey finish.
Bob9863

equipment: 118lt keg still with 50lt thumper, gin cadfy/mini thumper and shotgun condenser
5lt copper pot still

Postby Mossimo » Fri Jun 03, 2022 4:23 pm

ah ok, thanks,

yeah i was called away to work for an extra month, so it sat there for a while..
ill try again, next month when i'm home for a bit... ill up my cleaning standards to i think :-)
cheers
Mossimo

Postby Bob9863 » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:09 pm

If you have an airlock then you can leave it a bit longer, but if it wasn't properly sanitised then it will more often than not go bad.
Bob9863

equipment: 118lt keg still with 50lt thumper, gin cadfy/mini thumper and shotgun condenser
5lt copper pot still

Postby Mossimo » Sat Jun 04, 2022 10:23 am

been doing a heap of reading on infection etc, ive never boiled my mash before pitching yeast, can anyone see any down sides to this? seems from what ive read its a positive step in avoiding the chance of infection.
Mossimo

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development