Fine Scotch Whisky Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Fine Scotch Whisky Recipe Discussion

Postby JustStillin » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:55 pm

Thanks for posting this Frank, and thank you to the anonymous artisan. :clap:
As a scotch drinker, I'm excited to get this going.
JS

This thread has been started for any one wishing to discuss the making of Fine Scotch Whisky. The original Tried and Proven recipe can be found in the Tried and Proven section of the forum or by clicking HERE
Last edited by The Stig on Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JustStillin

equipment: 4" Perforated plate still
50l keg boiler, 2 x 2400W elements.

Re: Fine Scotch Whisky

Postby zwagerman9 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:11 pm

Absolutely can't wait!

Bloody legend Anonymous Man and Air-stilling Frank :P
zwagerman9

equipment: Airstill....
2" POT STILL!
2" Dual Slant Plate Bok

Postby stephenkentucky » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:15 pm

Thank you so much for sharing this recipe, it sounds amazing, really appreciate your effort.
stephenkentucky

Postby R-sole » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:10 pm

Tastes pretty bloody good too Stephen. I'll bring a sample up for you to try next time i see you if you remind me. :mrgreen:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby stephenkentucky » Tue Jul 10, 2012 4:19 pm

Hey 5Star consider yourself reminded...as a matter of fact Lyn and I are having a glenmorangie right now...it is freezing up here at the mo...so we are having a wee dram by the fire....bloody good it is too.
stephenkentucky

Postby Frank » Tue Jul 10, 2012 5:18 pm

I'm glad others reckon this recipe could be the ducks nuts too. :D
I too am REALLY keen to go hard at this one and think its great that others shall attempt similar. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
(BTW...all I did was 'hassle the messenger' to source and send me a copy (thanx again 5Star ;-) ) and type it up here)
Frank

Postby Goldie » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:23 pm

Cheers for this 5Star and Frank

That is a lot of money on malt extract, @$11 per 1.5kgs. I am reading this right, it's 6kgs of extract per each 30lt fermenter?
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby Frank » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:08 am

Goldie wrote:......That is a lot of money on malt extract, @$11 per 1.5kgs. I am reading this right, it's 6kgs of extract per each 30lt fermenter?

Yep mate, if you do a bulk buy on the LME you can prob save a few $ but......true, its not a cheap recipe (esp when you add the grain/yeast cost etc).
However......not cheap is relative to generic tried and proven wash recipes as opposed to if you have a liking for fine (esp Islay) Scotch. ;-)
You may wish to consider less expensive variances/quantites/substitutes, esp in relation to the malt. There are lots of folk here trying different grain bills, malts etc for their whisky/whiskey recipes.
IMHO, just be 'careful' as this recipe is tried and proven so...who can say how far it is variable before the spirit changes 'too much'??? :think:
I'd be interested in how you decide to go here too mate, please keep us posted.
Frank

Postby Goldie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:23 am

Thanks for confirming that Frank, just wanted to check before I out laid that sought of money. What's the best place to get bulk LME? Roy at my local HBS actually cans his own branded LME so he will be my first port of call.
I am looking to make something special, something that can be handed down to my kids in another 20 years time and something I can pull out for a special drink. I think I will end up buying a new oak barrel for this and leaving it to oak for years. I have a second hand barrel but this I want a new barrel.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby R-sole » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:28 am

Goldie wrote:Thanks for confirming that Frank, just wanted to check before I out laid that sought of money. What's the best place to get bulk LME? Roy at my local HBS actually cans his own branded LME so he will be my first port of call.
I am looking to make something special, something that can be handed down to my kids in another 20 years time and something I can pull out for a special drink. I think I will end up buying a new oak barrel for this and leaving it to oak for years. I have a second hand barrel but this I want a new barrel.

I'd be talking to Roy about a price on a 20l cube of LME in that case :handgestures-thumbupleft:
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby Goldie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks guys, will see what he can offer.
Could the dunder from this be used for anything? Maybe a sugarhead thin mash?
Does anyone think you could single run this through a plated column with similar results as a double run?
Goldie

Postby Goldie » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:05 am

Sorry meant to say backset not dunder.
Goldie

Postby scarecrow » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:35 am

Hey Frank,
Have you put down a brew with the new yeast yet? Why not? Is it ready yet? What's it taste like?

That's OK. I'll wait.

Is it ready yet? :teasing-tease: 8-}

PS. I never did manage to get up the coast to get my supplies. Goddam work got in the way. :laughing-rolling:

scarecrow
scarecrow

equipment: 4" 4 plate glasser
80cm reflux column
3 ring banjo

Postby Frank » Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:23 pm

Mr Scrow
no....primarily because I'm not 'wasting' it on a couple of TPWs which is the current washes in my limited fermentation vessels; I also need to source bulk LME first too....no, its winter and everything slows down (except, perhaps, your questions)....I am glad you are ok with this, I've NFI what you are waiting for though......no.

PS have you got those supplies yet? Why not? Can I have some of the peated grain? When? .......etc......... :laughing-rolling:
Frank

Postby scarecrow » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:05 pm

How much LME do you want?

I'm hoping to pick up 15 Kg early next week. Estimating about $5/Kg.

scarecrow
scarecrow

equipment: 4" 4 plate glasser
80cm reflux column
3 ring banjo

Postby Al Qaemist » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:00 am

Wow, didn't realise it was so pricey down there. Bulk LME is around £1.5 (2.25 AUD) per Litre up here, but I am surrounded by barley fields. Of course its cheaper to try and convert some grain yourself, but LME is hassle free by comparison, so I guess it depends if your willing to do more work, or be hit a little more in the pocket.

Now you know how I feel when you talk about your cheap molasses. :D
Al Qaemist

equipment: 2"x39" VM, Pot head
50L 3Kw keg, and Modified T500 boiler.

Postby Sam. » Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:31 pm

Ran 20L of this the other day through the pot and of course being the impatient fuck that I am got it up to temp at full bore on gas and puked the fucking thing :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

Could not fucking believe it! 20L in a 50L keg and it still managed to come over the top!

That shit aside can't wait to start running the 40L washes when they are done (and a lot slower of course :D ) as after the puking it still tasted not too bad through the run apart from the wash taste of course :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Also can't believe how peaty it tasted straight out the fermenter when charging the still! I hope that much doesn't come across in the final product as I don't like my scotch tasting like a campfire. Pretty sure tho from tasting the first run it wont (touch wood :pray: )
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby stilly_bugger » Sat Aug 25, 2012 10:55 pm

Frank wrote:Be sure to consult Harry's posting...

Here's Harry's posting.
stilly_bugger

equipment: simple pot with worm on an electric boiler.

Postby kobold » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:01 pm

i just ordered the ingredients, but wondering how would safspirit malt yeast work in this recipe?

btw, i made the first incarnation of this (half strength) two months ago and it's really enjoyable already even though i made a few mistakes (added glucose, wide cuts, puking). so definitely worth a proper second try.
kobold

equipment: air still, 3"pot still

Postby adictv » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:48 pm

Dam this really isn't going to be cheap hahaha oh well what can you do
adictv

equipment: Turbo 500
McStill Pot Still on T500

Next

Return to Recipe Development