Fine Scotch Whisky Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Fine Scotch Whisky Recipe Discussion

Postby bluc » Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:01 pm

Will stop any active enzymes you may get slightly higher volume of you dont..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Bob9863 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:38 pm

I boil the snot out of mine, then strain out the grain.
I also course grind my grains, and have even taken to using liquid malt extract to fill it out a bit.

I like dark liquid malt, ground and boiled chocolate malt and heavy pleated malt if I'm doing it easy but if I'm doing a special run then I malt my own grain and very heavily smoke it, I also add some raw grain for cereal finish.
But either way the grains get boiled and strained, if it's a little low on suger content then I add some dextrose, I like to anyway is I like my mash to finish around 10% abv when doing scotch.
Any higher and I find you loose too much flavour.
Bob9863

equipment: 118lt keg still with 50lt thumper, gin cadfy/mini thumper and shotgun condenser
5lt copper pot still

Postby Mossimo » Sat Jun 04, 2022 2:52 pm

ok, so if i understand correctly,

instead of holding the grain at 65 degrees for 30 minutes (that's what I've been doing currently) you actually boil it, which kills any bacteria etc, but may damage the enzymes so the overall output isn't as high? so a trade off, less enzymes, but, its disinfected through the heat?

im ok with less output as so far I've tried this twice and failed, anything more then nothing is more then what i had :-D

please feel free to correct me if I'm understanding this wrong..
Mossimo

equipment: Homemade reflux still

Postby Bob9863 » Sat Jun 04, 2022 5:32 pm

That's what I do, that's not to say it's the only way or the right way, but I find it works.

If you use 100% malt then there shouldn't be anything left to convert anyway. But I find it gives more flavour.

You can hold it at 65° afterwards and add some amylase and hold it for 1 hour which is something else I do, but I also like to add raw ground grain for that cereal finish on the taste profile.
Bob9863

equipment: 118lt keg still with 50lt thumper, gin cadfy/mini thumper and shotgun condenser
5lt copper pot still

Previous

Return to Recipe Development