Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash Recipe Discussion

Postby 9fingers » Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:23 pm

Ingredients: Diammonium phosphate, magnesium sulphate, magnesium carbonate, vitamins, trace minerals.

So it already has the DAP and Epsom salts, any ideas how much to try for the first wash?
I'm thinking about 1tsp an see how it goes.
9fingers

equipment: Essencia Express Condensor

Re: Wineos Plain Ol Sugar Wash - WPOSW

Postby Boomtrike » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:54 pm

Brigand wrote:Hi Fellas

I made this up on Monday night

Here are my conversion numbers for a

Single 23L
3.6 kg Sugar
5ml Citric Acid
5ml DAP
5ml Gypsum
0.3125ml Epsom
~ 100g Yeast

and a

Double 46L
7.2kg Sugar
10ml Citric Acid
10ml DAP
10ml Gypsum
0.625ml Epsom
~ 200g Yeast

Problem is that this recipe gives an opening of 1.060 per my hydrometer and ProMash

According to ProMash 4.2kg will give 1.070 in a 23L batch and 8.4kg in a 46L batch

In any event its chugging along merrily even with this cold snap

Also with the DAP I found some online from http://www.grainandgrape.com.au/ and http://www.westbrew.com.au/ in 1kg packs @ $20

Cheers

I just seen this on you tube and he told whos it was( wineos) but he didnt make up to this reciepe , why would he have done that, his was measured in a pinchof this and a t spoon of that and say will ferment out in 3-4 days unless my eyes and ears seen and heard wrong...... new to this and just looking for help
Boomtrike

equipment: Old style super reflux with 25lt boiler

Postby Doubleuj » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:34 pm

Best advice, don’t follow the crap you see on YouTube
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Sam. » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:00 pm

Doubleuj wrote:Best advice, don’t follow the crap you see on YouTube

:text-+1: the beauty of these forums is that people will call bullshit when they see it.

YouTube has no decent filter for valid information and any dickhead can put whatever they want on it.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby virge » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:43 am

It seems that this wash is not popular at all.
I have my 23L wash bubbling for a week now and still going strong.
I expected to get more info here. I wanted to know what makes it better compared with the turbo wash.
From a 23L wash, how much neutral spirit do you get when using a T500 reflux still?
Do you do cuts? How much foreshots, how much heads and how much hearts?
Last edited by virge on Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
virge

equipment: DIY potstill

Postby db1979 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:08 am

virge wrote:It seems that this wash is not popular at all.
I have my 23L wash bubbling for a week now and still going strong.
I expected to get more info here. I wanted to know what makes it better compared with the turbo wash.
From a 23L wash, how much neutral spirit do you get when using a T500 reflux still?
Do you do cuts? How much foreshots, how much heads and how much hearts?

I don't think it's popular because cereal based washes like WBAB or TFFV can get you a vodka with a better mouth feel and it's more hassle than TPW for neutral.

Can't help you with the t500 sorry, but you're best not worrying about how much you'll get out and simply try to focus on using smaller cuts and being strict about what makes it into your hearts cut.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby virge » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:25 pm

Thanks for advice db1979. I never distilled neutral sugar washes. I just built a copy of the T500 and Iwant to test it woking. I have a Mac's Whiskey wash bubbling for a few days as well. I want to test my still as a reflux still and detuned as a potstill.
virge

Postby Professor Green » Sun Nov 10, 2019 6:37 pm

What makes these washes better than turbo? The turbo products have all sorts of crap in them to push the yeast into making a lot more alcohol than they really want to and to make it a lot quicker too. This stresses the yeast and makes for off flavours in your final product which is not what you want in a neutral.

Most folks here, as as db said, do cereal/kale or TPW washes rather than a straight sugar wash as they ferment cleanly without the need to add any expensive chemicals.

How much neutral you'll get will depend on the final alcohol content of the wash, how you run your still and how harsh you are with your cuts. The best strategy is to go for quality not quantity regardless of your total yield.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby db1979 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:16 pm

Professor Green wrote:The best strategy is to go for quality not quantity regardless of your total yield.

:text-+1:
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby virge » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:40 pm

Thanks guys. It will be the first time I run a reflux still after the clening run which still needs to be done, I collected about 10L of wine for it. I hope I can experiment during the clening run and I will be able to do a good job with the sugar wash. I will try to keep the reflux temperature in control for a slow run and I will make 200 ml cuts after discarding the first 200ml.
In my case will be more difficult because I use a gas stove for heating the boiler. But I recon if it will take 45 min to have the wash reach alcohol boiling temperature I will be closed to the T500 urn.
virge

Postby Streetgang666 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:57 pm

Hi, just wondering what the gypsum does??
Streetgang666

equipment: Air still

Postby RC Al » Mon Mar 08, 2021 3:49 pm

It adds calcuim for the yeast and acts as a ph buffer
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby BigRig » Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:15 pm

Anybody done this wash and been happy with it ? I have now done my 6th double batch and have not been happy with the return on effort.

Flavour is ok but no real improvement on any of the other neutrals and the volume was way low. Barely enough to run the bubbler properly.

I might give it one last try but add an extra 2kgs sugar.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby troyhodges » Wed May 17, 2023 7:01 pm

Hi People, Just reaching out for any advice.
This is my first batch of this recipe and have done many successful batches of other recipes in the past but though id try something different. Not that this batch isnt successful... yet...
Its just going soooo slow.
Let me paint the back story if helps to understand why is soo slow.
50 litre batch
10.38 kg Sugar
9.13 g Citric acid
9.13 g DAP
1.087 g Epsom Salt
9.13 g Gypsum
40 g SS Distillers Vokda Yeast (used as handles up to 18%ABV)
Original Gravity measure 1.080 which I know was on the borderline
(Would be simply if I could just paste the graph, so will try to verbalize) < I think I managed to attach...
Has been humming along since 02/05 with a slow and steady decrease in Specific Gravity. I mean a straight line decline measured every ~15 minutes by the floating hydrometer.
After 10 days it had only got down to 1.061 so being impatient I added another 20 g yeast and the line is still declining in SG slow and steady with no real change in decline angle.
Its now at 15 days and measures 1.049.
Fermenter is temperature controlled at 29 degrees and holds steady day and night.
At this rate I'm looking at about a month to turn this around.....
I brew beer and usually measure the PH but for the life of me cannot find a record of it if PH is the fault here????
Any advice is welcome as we all learn from mistakes and challenges.
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
troyhodges

equipment: Relux Still

Postby howard » Thu May 18, 2023 8:48 pm

i have never done this particular recipe, but that seems like a lot of citric acid.
my townwater is about PH 8 and i use about 3gms to drop 20l from 8 to 6 for sugar washes.( i have recently started logging the effect of Mackenzies citric acid on the PH)
so without your waters original PH, it's hard to guess what is going awry.
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby troyhodges » Fri May 26, 2023 7:24 am

Town water PH is 7.8
The amount of citric was just calculated against original recipe for a 50l batch.
I tested current ph at its current state of 46% complete after whats been over 20days and is at 5
Looking at the graph I was concerned the SG (red line) was mysteriously following the same trajectory as the green line being the hydrometer battery percentage. Thinking something was faulty, so I dropped in glass floating hydrometer and yep the SG was correct.
Getting impatient I dropped 100g or bakers yeast to see if i could get some action as theres clearly sugar left to convert and ... nothing. seeming like i had an inch of surface foam after stirring but the next day it glassed off and is again sloooooowly fermenting.
Still at a loss. Thinking I'll try TSFFV next time...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
troyhodges

equipment: Relux Still

Previous

Return to Recipe Development