Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Mac's Bourbon Whiskey Knock Off (BWKO) Discussion

Postby Wellsy » Mon Nov 22, 2021 3:13 pm

Thanks Dan

Yep will always experiment with my small batches but when doing a big batch (30 litres) I am even more conservative than when making cuts lol
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Hawkeye » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:49 pm

Sorry if I’ve missed it in this very long thread, but has anyone made this or a version of this using the yellow label angel yeast?

Cheers
Hawkeye

equipment: 4 inch, 4 bubble plate on a 50L keg with 500mm packed section.

Postby BigRig » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:35 pm

Wellsy wrote:Hey big rig I have some of this BWKO that has been on 5 star dominos for 12 months, med toast American and heavy toast American. I had 20 to 25 grams in 3 litres. Both taste great but the colour has not come through and is very like. I have previously used French taste is good and colour super rich. I just have a stripping run to go and I will be putting 30 litres away for 12 to 18 months. I will use 210 grams and have decided to mix it all up. It will be 90 heavy and 90 medium toast American for a more traditional bourbon taste and 30 French to givye the colour I like. I hope that helps

Update - 5 weeks ago I put a 20L keg to bed with 140 grams american (50/50 - med / heavy) plus a 5L demi with same ratios. The colour is very dark and is awesome on the nose so i had to sample. Wow this stuff is nice already, kicking myself for not having tried it earlier actually.

Another winner from the T&T library.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Radnelac » Tue Dec 28, 2021 9:56 pm

Hi all, after a shitty lockdown period that really got me down for a while I've finally pulled my finger out & started to get back into it all. For anyone that monitors the discussion threads you'll see this mssg in 3 different ones as I've put down one of each of them (CFW, Nutrigrain & BWKO).
I've just put down a 60L wash of this but cheated a little to get some upfront flavour on the first gen. I made up the grain bill by cutting the barley & using light crystal malt instead (saw it mentioned in the discussion that it gave a nicer flavour profile) + cut the sugar back significantly & used a few kg of LME, well actually it was mostly LME & only 3kg of sugar to bump up the abv a bit. Yep it was a bit pricey but I had some extra cash to splash from recent overtime at work & I'm hoping it will pay off for the first gen flavour & also increased flavour for subsequent generations. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out & how it will impact the future generations flavour wise. First gen for all 3 will probably taste the same but what I'm hoping for is a kickstart of flavour for subsequent generations.
If anyone has done something similar or made whiskey from just straight LME I'd be interested in hearing anyones feedback.
Radnelac

equipment: 4" FSD Visualiser + 100L boiler with twin 2400W elements.

Postby BigRig » Wed Dec 29, 2021 6:50 am

You have essentially made macwhiskey with a variation on the flavour grains. It is a single generation so is packed with flavour from the start.

Its not a sour mash without any backset but doesnt need to be. I think you will be fine
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Radnelac » Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:43 am

BigRig wrote:You have essentially made macwhiskey with a variation on the flavour grains. It is a single generation so is packed with flavour from the start.

Its not a sour mash without any backset but doesnt need to be. I think you will be fine

Chers BigRig,
I understand that all 3 of these washes will basically taste the same for this first run because of the LME used despite that each of them have the different ingredients for each individual recipe, my question is that since I have more than my boiler will hold to run it all together would I be best off doing something like a 1 1/2 run. Basically a fast stripping run of some of the wash & adding that back to a second run of the remaining wash for a slower spirit run ? Each one is in a 60L fermenter (3 in total) & I kinda maxed them out cos I got some excited squirting through the airlocks once the yeasties kicked right off :))
Radnelac

equipment: 4" FSD Visualiser + 100L boiler with twin 2400W elements.

Postby BigRig » Sun Jan 09, 2022 7:19 am

A 1.5 run will work perfectly. Go for it.

LME froths like crazy, go easy or you will puke.
BigRig

Postby BigRig » Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:27 pm

BigRig wrote:
Wellsy wrote:Hey big rig I have some of this BWKO that has been on 5 star dominos for 12 months, med toast American and heavy toast American. I had 20 to 25 grams in 3 litres. Both taste great but the colour has not come through and is very like. I have previously used French taste is good and colour super rich. I just have a stripping run to go and I will be putting 30 litres away for 12 to 18 months. I will use 210 grams and have decided to mix it all up. It will be 90 heavy and 90 medium toast American for a more traditional bourbon taste and 30 French to givye the colour I like. I hope that helps

Update - 5 weeks ago I put a 20L keg to bed with 140 grams american (50/50 - med / heavy) plus a 5L demi with same ratios. The colour is very dark and is awesome on the nose so i had to sample. Wow this stuff is nice already, kicking myself for not having tried it earlier actually.

Another winner from the T&T library.

I added a charred domino in the 5L demi to compare. Had a sample this arvo and have to say i prefer it. For me, my bourbons i will go heavy toast / char combo.

:music-deathmetal:
BigRig

Postby Hick1960 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:22 am

Hey guys. Onto my 4th gen of bwko. A week into its fermentation and it has this thick foam cap on it and smells very vinegary. Would this be an infection?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hick1960

equipment: Turbo 500
2” pot with Shotgun condenser
2” Boka
1” gin pot still
4” FSD Neutralizer

Postby RC Al » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:01 pm

The powdery stuff is most likely lacto, bubbles i dunno, was the foam fizzing? Just the krausen?
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Hick1960 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:41 am

RC Al wrote:The powdery stuff is most likely lacto, bubbles i dunno, was the foam fizzing? Just the krausen?

No fizz. Gravity down to 1.012. Still a little sweetness to the taste. Smell worse than it tastes.
This is the only generation that has foamed up like this. The other. 3 were fine. It’s been very cold here in vic for the last week or 2. I’ve had it wrapped up and was going fine.
Hick1960

2” Boka
1” gin pot still
4” FSD Neutralizer

Postby RC Al » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:05 am

Might be worth running now, see if the sg drops much more over next day or two.

The yeast bed may bounce back with out either one, regretted my newbie mistake of not keeping my first lot of UJ when it got infected at g6.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby Hick1960 » Mon Jun 06, 2022 2:44 pm

Thanks RC.
I’ll give it till the weekend and see where it goes. Then run it.
Hick1960

2” Boka
1” gin pot still
4” FSD Neutralizer

Postby Hick1960 » Sat Jun 11, 2022 1:06 pm

Well tried to run this 4th gen. Still a lot of foam on top. Racked 40 litre into the boiler and fired it up. Didn’t even get to anywhere near boiling before it started foaming up past the first plate.
Turned it off and poured it back into the fermenter with the other 50 litres and stirred it up. Will leave it for a week or 2 and see what happens. Nothing to lose.
Hick1960

2” Boka
1” gin pot still
4” FSD Neutralizer

Postby bluc » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:48 pm

Hawkeye wrote:Sorry if I’ve missed it in this very long thread, but has anyone made this or a version of this using the yellow label angel yeast?

Cheers

Be no where near enough grain. Work out the ratio of each grain. Then up the grain to water ratio. Some say 4:1 water to grain. I prefer 3:1 for much bolder flavour. As recipe stands it would make a thin mash partial grain sugar partial cane sugar.
The ratio is good and would make a nice drink as all grain angel mash imo...
Last edited by bluc on Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby stillts » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:41 am

Hey Aussie Distillers! About to get started on this bad boy

With the recipe:

1st generation.

2L cracked corn
1L wheat
1L barley
3.5 KG sugar
1/4 tea spoon citric acid
1 crushed vitamin B tablet (not really needed but found it to make a more vigorous ferment)

Are the quantities per 30L fermenter? So hot water up to 20L, then topped up with 10L cold water? Thanks!
stillts

equipment: T500 copper reflux still, ez water filter.

FSD 2" Pot Still. 1000L IBL Water reticulation system.

Postby Professor Green » Fri Jul 08, 2022 12:26 pm

Answer is in the recipe post!

I usually dump the lot into 20L boiling water to soften the grains and invert the sugar, leave it for a couple of hours, stir it up good and dump it in the fermenter then top up to 30L with cold water and add about a quarter cup of yeast.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby stillts » Fri Jul 08, 2022 4:41 pm

Professor Green wrote:Answer is in the recipe post!

I usually dump the lot into 20L boiling water to soften the grains and invert the sugar, leave it for a couple of hours, stir it up good and dump it in the fermenter then top up to 30L with cold water and add about a quarter cup of yeast.

Thanks Professor. Yes, I read that - just wasn't sure if it was being split across the two fermenters; MacStill mentioned he ran two 30L fermenters at once.
stillts

Postby Professor Green » Fri Jul 08, 2022 8:42 pm

I see.

Those quantities would be for one 30 litre fermenter.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby stillts » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:37 pm

Professor Green wrote:I see.

Those quantities would be for one 30 litre fermenter.

Thanks for that Professor! Appreciated :)
stillts

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development