Easy Weetbix / All Bran Wash Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Easy Weetbix / All Bran Wash Recipe Discussion

Postby NFI » Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:20 pm

BigRig wrote:For a 55L wash i was using 4 rows of a 1.12kg pack of coles brand weetbix on its own (no all bran).

Ok, there are 12 weetbix to a row, so 48 weetbix @15.5g/bix (2 bix make 1 serve of 31g they say on the box) so 744g all up.
So about 375g of each should do the trick.
Thanks BigRig
NFI
Site Donor

equipment: FSD Mac4 SSG, 500mm copper-packed Section
50L Milkcan twin element boiler

Postby RC Al » Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:40 pm

So in the original recipe, it calls for the citric to be added to the hot sugar mix - its not stated but it would appear they are shooting to invert the sugar - optional, but a "cleaner" neutral will result if you do (so im told).

The Wheat bix and all bran both have fairly even amounts of Magnesium and Calcium built in, so the Epsoms would only be needed if you have hard (calcium rich) water

The All Bran contributes much more to the yeast vitamins wise than the WB by weight. If your looking for a neutral, use a bit less WB, if you want a flavoured sipper, use more
Last edited by RC Al on Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby chipboy » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:36 pm

Heat the weetbix and bran soup in a little (1 or 2 litre) water at 60 degrees for 3 hours, cool and add angel yeast and it will ferment. You are extracting starches like a corn mash only harder to do.

Add the sugar and let it rip as per instructions.
Last edited by chipboy on Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch.

Postby NFI » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:02 pm

RC Al wrote:So in the original recipe, it calls for the citric to be added to the hot sugar mix - its not stated but it would appear they are shooting to invert the sugar - optional, but a "cleaner" neutral will result if you do (so im told).

The Wheat bix and all bran both have fairly even amounts of Magnesium and Calcium built in, so the Epsoms would only be needed if you have hard (calcium rich) water

The All Bran contributes much more to the yeast vitamins wise than the WB by weight. If your looking for a neutral, use a bit less WB, if you want a flavoured sipper, use more

Yeah, i had put it down in my records as invert sugar with the acid, I think my water is pretty soft it only has 30 ppm TDS so not much of whatever , it certainly is not hard water. Should I add equal amounts of calcium and epsom or skip both? It would be great if I had TDS or EC req, I have the testers (cheap nasty ones but they do the job).

chipboy wrote:Heat the weetbix and bran soup in a little (1 or 2 litre) water at 60 degrees for 3 hours, cool and add angel yeast and it will ferment. You are extracting starches like a corn mash only harder to do.

Add the sugar and let it rip as per instructions.

That might prove a little hard with the gear I have at the moment without burning the lot. Maybe I'll just take BigRig's advice on the first run but will keep it in mind.
I am just using Lowans yeast for now. I understand it is happier with the warm weather.
NFI
Site Donor

Postby RC Al » Fri Nov 12, 2021 12:34 pm

Try it without, if you take more than a week to ferment, either add some of the nutrients or up the grain amount - again depends on end product desired
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby NFI » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:48 am

When scaling this recipe up or down do you scale everything in a linear way or do some ingredients such as yeast get calculated differently.
This recipe is for 21 Liters and calls for 65g yeast, so to do say a 42L batch do you use 130g of yeast or just a bit more yeast or does the yeast stay the same?
I guess it is self multiplying anyway.
If you don't just double the yeast for double the volume are there any of the other additives (Epsom salts, citric acid etc) that should not be just doubled?
NFI
Site Donor

Postby BigRig » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:58 am

I scale everything but the yeast.

It's cheap but I don't mind if it takes longer to get running.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby NFI » Tue Nov 16, 2021 12:19 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft:
NFI
Site Donor

Postby Benny_Stitch » Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:00 pm

Just put down my first WBAB, only ever done turbos before so im super keen to see how this turns out!
Followed the O.G recipe to a tee so fingers crossed it works :pray:
Benny_Stitch

equipment: Air Still

Postby Benny_Stitch » Sun Nov 21, 2021 12:27 pm

Happy Sunday legends

Im currently waiting on my first WBAB wash to finish up.

Im only running an air still at the moment, but i figure at least im not running a turbo wash this time.

Question, is it worth trying to do a multi gen WBAB if ive only got an air still, or should i wait till i upgrade my still?

To my understanding you use backset from the stripping run to dissolve the sugar for your next gen? using an air still may only be a litre every 4 hours, is it even worth it?

Cheers in advance
Benny_Stitch

Postby RC Al » Sun Nov 21, 2021 1:38 pm

Air still is a pot still, so yes this is a good wash to have a go at, the bwko might have some more flavour if your looking for something more bourbon ish

The 3l of back set from the first run will be enough to put into a 20-25l wash - you can add some more once cooled from the next run with no worries, just keep on top of your PH - 10-25% backset is the norm
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby Benny_Stitch » Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:31 am

Hi Guys
My fermentation drums are 30L capacity, ive tried to scale up the recipe to fill my 30L FV. Can someone please tell me if im on the money.....

6.5KG Sugar
4.5 cups Weetbix
4.5 cups Allbran
2 Teaspoons Epsom salts
95g bakers yeast
1.5tsp Citric acid

Cheers legends
Benny_Stitch

Postby BigRig » Wed Dec 01, 2021 12:03 pm

In a 30L fermenter i would go with the following and only fill to the 27 or 28L mark.

6kg Sugar
4 cups weetbix
4 cups all bran
70gr yeast
1sp citric
1tsp epsom
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby Benny_Stitch » Wed Dec 01, 2021 2:59 pm

BigRig wrote:In a 30L fermenter i would go with the following and only fill to the 27 or 28L mark.

6kg Sugar
4 cups weetbix
4 cups all bran
70gr yeast
1sp citric
1tsp epsom

So way less yeast? thanks for the reply
Benny_Stitch

Postby lest1 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:37 pm

Has anybody done a head to with this and tedysads ffw?
lest1
Site Donor

equipment: 4" 4 plate 50L 3kw
220l fermenter

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:01 pm

lest1 wrote:Has anybody done a head to with this and tedysads ffw?

2 seperate recipes mate and it's each to their own and in the end it's only YOU can can do the head to head comparison so go ahead and try it.

Now with the FFW I do believe it's only for making neutral where the other can be used as neutral and aging with oak.

Hope this helps

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby lest1 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:33 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:
lest1 wrote:Has anybody done a head to with this and tedysads ffw?

2 seperate recipes mate and it's each to their own and in the end it's only YOU can can do the head to head comparison so go ahead and try it.

Now with the FFW I do believe it's only for making neutral where the other can be used as neutral and aging with oak.

Hope this helps

Cheers Bryan

Thanks for the reply

trying to find the best recipes , ive got nutrigrain wash and uncle jesses for aging

just trying to find the best recipes early

ill stick with wabw as its such an improvement over tpw
Last edited by lest1 on Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lest1
Site Donor

220l fermenter

Postby RuddyCrazy » Sun Dec 05, 2021 1:44 pm

G'Day Lest,
Just noticed in your bio you have a 4" 4 plate bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft: so mate get ya ass down to the feed store and research on here about doing a single malt :handgestures-thumbupleft: go have a long read of my malting thread and mate it aint hard but rewards are one will never go back to breakfast cereals for doing a wash

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby NFI » Sun Dec 05, 2021 5:53 pm

Hi all
I put down a wbab 19 days ago and ran through the bubbler today. I made it up as a 50L wash (ended up as 51L). Due mainly to my poor technique and fumbling fingers only managed to get around 38L in the boiler with 13 L of lees. Just wondering what would a normal quantity of lees be on a 50 L wash or percentage with this recipe. I have only done it as a single gen deliberately coz just trying it out and getting more experience on the equipment.
It was quite cloudy but had sat 3 or 4 days with no change in fg and no bubbles. I was worried it might puke but didn't,:handgestures-thumbupleft:
NFI
Site Donor

Postby lest1 » Sun Dec 05, 2021 11:40 pm

RuddyCrazy wrote:G'Day Lest,
Just noticed in your bio you have a 4" 4 plate bubbler :handgestures-thumbupleft: so mate get ya ass down to the feed store and research on here about doing a single malt :handgestures-thumbupleft: go have a long read of my malting thread and mate it aint hard but rewards are one will never go back to breakfast cereals for doing a wash

Cheers Bryan

Thanks Bryan

currently going through your malting thread viewtopic.php?f=12&t=14094 very interesting read

might be hard as im a very isolated area with limited space but its definitely the next step which i would like to do, i want to make the best spirits i can

ill have to research if i can malt with the temps here are constantly over 30 degrees

was going to pm you but havn't hit my post quota , which is hard as most questions have already been asked and not knowledgeable enough to give advice

thanks again
Cheers
lest1
Site Donor

220l fermenter

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development