Easy Weetbix / All Bran Wash Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: easy weetbix / all bran wash

Postby YHB » Fri May 11, 2012 2:23 am

McStill wrote:
audistiller wrote:
Kimbo wrote:Holy Snapping duck shit Batman!
That's the best "Coming Out" I've ever seen

Not as good as the one with you and Don coming out of the closet. :laughing-rolling:

Yes that certainly is a special moment for all on this forum to remember :D

I can't remember it - I wasn't here then and I can't find it now - can anyone give me a link please?
YHB

equipment: 2" BOK with bolted slant plates and a homemade needle valve, sitting on a wooden boiler

Postby audistiller » Fri May 11, 2012 12:42 pm

There isn't a post about anyone actually coming out the closet YHB, I just took the opportunity and ran with it. 8-}
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby Frank » Fri May 11, 2012 6:49 pm

:o :laughing-rolling:
Well..what an interesting post Mr Kiwi. I reckon I can almost smell the alcohol in the words and good for you :laughing-rolling: although perhaps some sun is in order (do you have that overthere?) and, small point I'm sure, but a hoe is a gardening implement.

Mate you could borrow my Airstill for that next run (except NZ is no doubt FULL of them given its Made in NZ) but maybe not :laughing-rolling:

and is this what BGT had in mind when he started with such a really good recipe? :think: :hand:
Hey BGT its a fine recipe IMHO..thank you

:text-offtopic: anyhow...when did BD come out??
Frank

Postby audistiller » Fri May 11, 2012 7:55 pm

Frank wrote:anyhow...when did BD come out??

He didn't do anything himself Frank, there were just a few things decided by some key troublemakers around here. :eusa-whistle:
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby kiwikeg » Sun May 13, 2012 5:58 pm

I have put down a ''BradsGoneTrekken Easy Weetbix Wash" today. I have put it in a glass carboy so will be able to post some photos later. I followed BGTs recipe but omitted the allbran and doubled the Weetbix.
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby crow » Sun May 13, 2012 6:43 pm

kiwikeg wrote:I have put down a ''BradsGoneTrekken Easy Weetbix Wash" today. I have put it in a glass carboy so will be able to post some photos later. I followed BGTs recipe but omitted the allbran and doubled the Weetbix.

Post how you go with this , I was going to try this in the next couple of weeks ( they should just call it the Bew wash eh) :laughing-rolling:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Mark » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:23 pm

I know this is an o'l thread, but I have to say it's an awesome thread and the weetbix is the goods.

I invert 6 kg sugar with juice/pulp of 3 lemons, 300 grams weetbix, two table spoons thrive plant soluble fert, and 90 grams of lowan yeast to a 30 liter bucket, pitch at 35C and then run between 25C to 30C. Ferments quick and runs off the still smooth. Beats turbo yeasts for flavour and cost. :violence-smack:

I haven't tried a tomato paste wash, how does that compare?

...I hope the pics are not too big, I re-sized 'em down 50%.
Mark

equipment: pda-1 w/ext
15 gal ss boiler

easy weetbix / all bran wash

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:34 pm

The TPW is a thin, bodiless neutral high alc, no flavour, very accepting of fruits etc for steeping.

What's the flavour of this like?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:25 am

Thanks on the TPW info. I reckon that would be popular with the chicks that like their vodka mixer drinks, not to mention it being efficient to make (based on the popularity of it). I might make a batch just to save being nipped at the heels for constant likker.

Though I'm more into seeking flavours, even as sipping vodka. Speaking of which, the weetbix gives a wheatie flavour to the final neutral, and as a vodka it can be subtle. I strip two lots of wash, combine, distil again and collect hearts, and distill a third time and collect hearts. The subtle wheat base makes a good base for essences, and for dark essences I pre-wood the spirit in a carboy.

I'm thinking of running an experiment on a third distilled weetbix batch by adding a pack of corn flakes to it, leaving it to steep (i.e. flavour the clean/hearts low wines) and then run as as a strip. Carboy it with some tasted oak and see how it ages up? I'm reluctant to use congeners (heads/tails) as I hate hangovers on the best of days (which is why I'm reluctant to excessively drink beer and wine), so I'll have to cheat with clean hearts.
Mark

15 gal ss boiler

Postby blond.chap » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:54 am

Interesting discussion guys, I'm not a vodka drinker usually, so I've been under the (seemingly false) impression that the idea in making vodka is to remove all flavour apart from the slight ethanol sweetness.

Any recommendations for a good vodka to calibrate taste buds?
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:58 am

blond.chap wrote:Interesting discussion guys, I'm not a vodka drinker usually, so I've been under the (seemingly false) impression that the idea in making vodka is to remove all flavour apart from the slight ethanol sweetness.

If you sample some of the better vodka brands out there, such as Grey Goose, Chopin, and Ketle One, they all have distinctive flavours with a smooth mouth feel finish. The heat is never in the mouth and the warmth is felt only in the chest as it goes down. They sell at a premium.

That's the aim I want to replicate. The weetbix does that, and I'd hazard a guess just about any wheat cereal would too as long as cuts are ruthless. The hangover is at worst dehydration. Another method I have tried is woodchip on finished spirit in a carboy so it goes a whiskey colour (a week is all that's needed if ample chip is used). Then sit on carbon for 4 to 6 months to strip the wood chip colour so it ends up clearer than water. The flavour left by the wood but not removed by the carbon is awesome. I think it's better than Grey Goose. The kicker is how long it takes to make. It's the only reason I'll use carbon.

Low range vodka IMO is Absolut, as it has a distinctive ethyl acetate heads taste/smell to it, and even in mixers (unless strong like cola I can still smell/taste it). On the wire as a mixer and not a sipper is Below 42, it's a New Zealand brand. It's a mid-range vodka and while clean on pallete there's no pleasant aftertaste. It's souless. They're the sort of results I want to avoid.
Mark

15 gal ss boiler

Postby Camikaze » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:02 pm

Interesting comments Mark. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby bt1 » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:09 pm

Nice details here...wd

i use weetbix when there's no cheap pumkin around...my fave as it's a soft flavour also.

With the weetbix i usually dissolve in water with my sugar to make it like puree...Mark you's seems lumpy is just the shot or do you crush it into wash or just break up ....

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Mark » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:22 pm

bt1 wrote:Nice details here...wd

i use weetbix when there's no cheap pumkin around...my fave as it's a soft flavour also.

With the weetbix i usually dissolve in water with my sugar to make it like puree...Mark you's seems lumpy is just the shot or do you crush it into wash or just break up ....

bt1

In the preparation the weetbix turns to a soup at first and then precipitates as the wash ferments.
The lumpy look is the citrus juice/pulp, as I use it in inverting the sugar, and it then aids in keeping the wash pH down. It just floats on the top. I'll skim it off before I rack. I'll have to look into this pumpkin wash you've spoken of.
Mark

15 gal ss boiler

Postby blond.chap » Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:25 pm

Great, thanks for the info Mark, I'll keep on the TPW for mixing, but go the cereal spirit for sipping.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Brendan » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:50 pm

Mark wrote:
blond.chap wrote:Interesting discussion guys, I'm not a vodka drinker usually, so I've been under the (seemingly false) impression that the idea in making vodka is to remove all flavour apart from the slight ethanol sweetness.

If you sample some of the better vodka brands out there, such as Grey Goose, Chopin, and Ketle One, they all have distinctive flavours with a smooth mouth feel finish. The heat is never in the mouth and the warmth is felt only in the chest as it goes down. They sell at a premium.

That's the aim I want to replicate. The weetbix does that, and I'd hazard a guess just about any wheat cereal would too as long as cuts are ruthless. The hangover is at worst dehydration. Another method I have tried is woodchip on finished spirit in a carboy so it goes a whiskey colour (a week is all that's needed if ample chip is used). Then sit on carbon for 4 to 6 months to strip the wood chip colour so it ends up clearer than water. The flavour left by the wood but not removed by the carbon is awesome. I think it's better than Grey Goose. The kicker is how long it takes to make. It's the only reason I'll use carbon.

Low range vodka IMO is Absolut, as it has a distinctive ethyl acetate heads taste/smell to it, and even in mixers (unless strong like cola I can still smell/taste it). On the wire as a mixer and not a sipper is Below 42, it's a New Zealand brand. It's a mid-range vodka and while clean on pallete there's no pleasant aftertaste. It's souless. They're the sort of results I want to avoid.

:text-+1:

I agree with Mark completely. I love my All Bran Wheat Flakes vodka :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby jasonc2861 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:46 am

Quote "Another method I have tried is woodchip on finished spirit in a carboy so it goes a whiskey colour (a week is all that's needed if ample chip is used).
Mark,,what woodchips do u use for soaking this mate,?,would like to try it,,doing a weetbix special today from ur recipe.thanks heaps. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

Postby Linno » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:39 pm

jasonc2861 wrote:Quote "Another method I have tried is woodchip on finished spirit in a carboy so it goes a whiskey colour (a week is all that's needed if ample chip is use
Mark,,what woodchips do u use for soaking this mate,?,would like to try it,,doing a weetbix special today from ur recipe.thanks heaps. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Jas

let us know how you go mate as i have a buddy with the same still as you and i am trying to convince him to try the all bran, nutri grain or weet bix wash as it maybe be a better wash to use for flavoring with chips than the standard TPW, i am keen to compare . :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby Kimbo » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:08 pm

The last time i did a Wheat Bix/ All Bran wash, I ran it thru my pot still and oaked it.
The result was quite a nice Whiskey ;-)
If you Reflux it, you will get a nice Vodka :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby jasonc2861 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:23 pm

Linno wrote:
jasonc2861 wrote:Quote "Another method I have tried is woodchip on finished spirit in a carboy so it goes a whiskey colour (a week is all that's needed if ample chip is use

Jas

let us know how you go mate as i have a buddy with the same still as you and i am trying to convince him to try the all bran, nutri grain or weet bix wash as it maybe be a better wash to use for flavoring with chips than the standard TPW, i am keen to compare . :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yep it's brewing away in the barrol as we speak,,will let u know how it boils. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
jasonc2861

equipment: Extended Pure distilling reflux,110cm,,bigger is better!

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development