Easy "Scotch" (with a twist)

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Easy "Scotch" (with a twist)

Postby howard » Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:38 pm

i will try the OP recipe one day, but as i now have some rye whiskey on oak i have been waiting to try this method.
from the boston apothecary site, which has some interesting recipes.
this is the rye and marmite workshop.....
https://www.bostonapothecary.com/distillers-workbook-exercise-12-of-15/
the level of marmite 100gm to a 750ml of whiskey seems high :shock:
i might do a small 750ml sample throught the glass still which has a vigreux column.
what can go wrong!

and then marmite or tobasco gin? :think:
howard

equipment: 35l brewzilla
2" modular CM
gin caddy
changeover element switch and voltage controller on brewzillas 1900w element.
5L glass boiler/glass leibig

Postby deadliftsnstill » Tue Jun 13, 2023 3:22 pm

I am back on here after i have no idea how long.

This is now a respectable 9-ish month old drink now. I have a "solera barrel" where i had some 6month old allbran wash i put in the bottom, topped off with this, then pulled a couple of bottles every 3 months, topping off with more that has been in glass on a couple of toasted oak sticks. the first Gen out of this barrel at 3 months was a bit rough, Gen 2 was much better, i havent pulled Gen 3 yet although it is about time to. It's very drinkable, but it's not scotch.

I have had a few blind taste test by friends, and a few bottle given away as gifts and Gen 2 gets nothing but compliements.
I added some smoke flavor to Gen 1 and it is my go to when i want a smoky drop now.

To be honest I think it might be headed in a direction of a bit too much flavour and oak now, and I need to top off with some new make Allbran to tame back the flavour now. (I realise this goes against the principle of a solera system, but its a "solera barrel", not a proper system.
That said, I am hanging onto a couple of bottles of Gen 2 in the back of the cupboard and want to compare it to say gen 5 or 6.

Will come back and update once I've drawn off Gen 3
deadliftsnstill

equipment: 50L keg w/2200W element, Home made copper 2" to 1/2" Leibig

Postby Jedstar » Fri Jun 16, 2023 1:36 am

I love this recipe, it is one of my favorites
Jedstar

equipment: FSD 4" Visualizer Mk2 with 250mm Packed Section , FSD 50L Milk Can with 2 x 2400W Elements + FSD Controller . FSD 4” Modular Pot that has grown up.

Postby bluc » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:24 am

Deadliftinstill you could always bolster the solera systems with some demis and dominoes or a corney keg..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Previous

Return to Recipe Development