Easy "Scotch" (with a twist)

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Easy "Scotch" (with a twist)

Postby Unna240 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:46 am

I went with your recipe mate, I had extremely high hopes as to your original post I'm looking for a single malt equivalent that isn't a huge effort. But I have a 40 percent 700 ml bottle (now has 3 dominoes in it 12/12/15) and a 65 percent 2l flagon 10/12/15 I just checked both after reading this and neither has improved I have macwhiskey which I can drink straight away and nutrigrain I made in the pot still coming close to 9 months now 22/3/15 which are both very drinkable with ice. Unfortunately your vegewheat as we nicknamed it hasn't come of age yet I just tasted both, I'm looking forward to it when it does as the small bottle is smelling better now with oak in it, just the taste isn't there yet. In saying that my wife bought me a bottle of Glenfiddich 12 Year old 6 to 8 months ago which was one of my favorites and it was bloody terrible since I have been making spirit from the bubbler Scotch tastes like heads to me now (cheap stuff anyways) so I'm not shit talking your recipe I'm just saying my attempt hasn't turned out as nice as I had expected...
Cheers Unna240
Unna240

equipment: 4 inch neutraliser 50l keg boiler 2x 2400w elements, gin basket

Postby spit'n'shine » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:24 pm

Hmm, maybe cuts gave the different result? What is the oak you are aging with and how much etc.? I've done 3 batches so far with consistent results. I would expect it to get better as it ages. 2.5 weeks aging isn't very long, let us know how it is in a few months. As for the 40% bottle, I haven't tried aging anything that low so not sure how that will turn out.
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Postby Unna240 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:11 pm

by spit'n'shine » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:24 am

Hmm, maybe cuts gave the different result? What is the oak you are aging with and how much etc.? I've done 3 batches so far with consistent results. I would expect it to get better as it ages. 2.5 weeks aging isn't very long, let us know how it is in a few months. As for the 40% bottle, I haven't tried aging anything that low so not sure how that will turn out.

Possibly I may have to try it again maybe it has some heads in it, heavy char oak dominoes I have 2 of them in the 2l flagon and 3 in the 700ml bottle. The month and day were arse about on the 2l also should have been 12/10/15,i haven't aged anything at 40 percent before either I was hoping it would improve it rather than tipping it down the sink. I might put another fermenter or 2 down and chuck both of these in on top of the wash and re do my cuts. That's my only thought to as why mine is so nasty compared to yours I'm assuming anyway, in saying that I haven't tasted yours
Cheers Unna240
Unna240

Postby spit'n'shine » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:48 pm

Maybe mate. Also, I did two gens each time, added feints from 1st run to second run and blended cuts from 1st and 2nd etc. Although, your single run should have given you a good indication of the final product of two gens.

Sometimes poor cuts and long term aging turns out to be some very tasty gear.. speaking from experience :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Postby stattonb » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:18 pm

well i did up to gen 3 with this and after 2 months on charred american oak dominoes i gave it to my mate who is a scotch drinker (not me so much) and he said it is the best scotch he has had, i tried it myself and it tastes awesome and thats coming from a non scotch drinker....worth trying this recipes but ya have to do gens for it to be any good :)
stattonb

equipment: T500 - Minus the crappy plastic outlet pipe
2'' Pot Still Condenser

Postby stattonb » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:20 pm

forgot to mention "Unna240" try aging at 65% and add 2 dominoes to 2L and take one out after a month worked for me
stattonb

2'' Pot Still Condenser

Postby Unna240 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:13 am

I dug out my 2litre flagon that I have been aging at 65 percent with the same charred American oak dominoes(2 of them) so it's dated 12/10/15 and your right it has definitely improved and is drinkable now. I only did a single gen also to try it, usual story oak and time improves everything no matter how rough it's starts out.
Unna240

Postby valkorum » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:34 pm

Me and Unna have been drinking it for a few hours now. We are pretty happy, but definitely is a heaps better after being aged on oak.

Unna has had it aging on oak since 12/12/15 at 40% using heavy char domino's and it is HEAPS better. This was run on the 12/10/15 but never put on oak as you said it was great straight off the parrot.

We just tasted the 65% that Unna has been on oak since 12/10/15. It has a much nicer after taste but not as smoky.
valkorum

equipment: 5 Star 4" Pot. Still need to find funds to buy bubble plates

Postby stattonb » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:41 pm

yea a pretty easy and tasty recipe so this is my go to recipe for scotch the worst thing is my mates that are scotch drinkers keep asking every week "is it ready yet" lol
stattonb

2'' Pot Still Condenser

Postby WTDist » Fri Feb 05, 2016 3:43 pm

haha say yea, its at the johny stage :laughing-rolling:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby stattonb » Fri Feb 05, 2016 4:12 pm

lol ill remember that one
stattonb

2'' Pot Still Condenser

Postby spit'n'shine » Fri Feb 05, 2016 5:11 pm

valkorum wrote:Me and Unna have been drinking it for a few hours now. We are pretty happy, but definitely is a heaps better after being aged on oak.

Unna has had it aging on oak since 12/12/15 at 40% using heavy char domino's and it is HEAPS better. This was run on the 12/10/15 but never put on oak as you said it was great straight off the parrot.

We just tasted the 65% that Unna has been on oak since 12/10/15. It has a much nicer after taste but not as smoky.

WTDist wrote:haha say yea, its at the johny stage :laughing-rolling:

Great! Sounds like some others are enjoying this easy scotch-like recipe too. I've definately found it to be tastier and more complex than DWWG (which I also enjoy), and about as easy. A bit more expensive but much, much cheaper than Johnny red.. One could add deeper tails for even more flavour (late heads too to get closer to store-bought stuff) but longer aging will be required. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
spit'n'shine

Postby spit'n'shine » Fri Feb 05, 2016 6:10 pm

stattonb wrote:yea a pretty easy and tasty recipe so this is my go to recipe for scotch the worst thing is my mates that are scotch drinkers keep asking every week "is it ready yet" lol

Haha! I get that all the time mate.. (with most recipes). Just let them help with the whole process so they appreciate how tedious and time consuming it is. I normally make a jar with a slightly higher ratio of oak to spirit so it can be tested earlier by friends and myself, and I let them decide for themselves. :cool:
spit'n'shine

Postby coffe addict » Sun Feb 07, 2016 9:27 am

So i attempted to make this. At the store in the wheetbix vita brits section looking for the nine grain version lol came away with a five grain "be natural" flakes. Same five core grains just a little more sugar.
Ran it to low wines yesterday and have to say its pretty damn good off the still. Very grainy with a hint of the vegiemite.
It'll be interesting to see how it ages.
Another two more runs and ill have enough to do a spirit run.

A question though with the peat reek is it being added before or after aging?
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby WalterWhite » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:00 am

Hey coffee ... You were looking in the wrong aisle mate.
They are in the cracker aisle where you would find biscuits etc.
I've also been reading up on the peatreek and it seems some people add it to the wash (about a cupful per 25L) and some people prefer to add it to the spirit using a few drops per bottle. Definitely something I'll be trying in the future.
WalterWhite

equipment: 35L Digiboil with power control, 2” copper pot combo with optional extended column.

Postby coffe addict » Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:28 pm

Hey benny thanks for that, seems I'm going to have to work two isles now at the supermarket lol.

It may take a while but I'll test both methods of peat reek to see which is best
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby bugburner » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:13 pm

This one sounds good. I will have to add it to my list for brews. Thanks for sharing.
bugburner

equipment: I am a newbie. I am just starting to get into distilling my own Whiskey.

Postby stattonb » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:09 pm

mad i mate say he loved this recipe thats been on oak for 3 months with lemonade cant wait for more
stattonb

2'' Pot Still Condenser

Postby Undertaker » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:49 am

Is everyone using raw or white sugar for this recipe? Anyone tried both and noticed any difference?

Cheers Phil
Undertaker

equipment: Electric boiler, 2" potstill column. 40" VM column, copper packed,
RC double wound coldfinger,
PC liebig condensor

Postby Undertaker » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:26 am

I just put down 80 lt of wash using this recipe. I found the pH to be pretty high, about 6.7, so I added a tblspn of citric, brought it down to 4.7. Is anyone else checking and/or adjusting the pH?

cheers Phil
Undertaker

equipment: Electric boiler, 2" potstill column. 40" VM column, copper packed,
RC double wound coldfinger,
PC liebig condensor

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development