Easy "Scotch" (with a twist)

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Easy "Scotch" (with a twist)

Postby spit'n'shine » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:42 pm

Hi All,

My aim in this hobby was always to make a fantastic Scotch but there is a lot of work (and/or costs) involved, not to mention the ageing process. Since I invested in the bubbler, it has made it so easy to try different things without the need for strip and spirit runs. This recipe may sound a bit crazy but this has to be the best stuff I have tasted with minimal/zero ageing. Not sure if anyone has done something similar but here is the recipe I have done with excellent results:

For a 30L fermenter:

Ingredients:

500g 9 Grain Vita Weats (2 x 250g Packets)
2 Tablespoons Vegemite
4.5Kg Sugar
2 Tablespoons Lowan Baker's Yeast

Method:

Put the Vita Weats and Vegemite into a large pot. Cover with hot water and bring to the boil. Turn heat down to a simmer, stirring occasionally and mashing the biscuits with the back of the spoon. Simmer for about 15 mins. Meanwhile, put a bucket of hot water and the sugar into the fermenter and stir to dissolve. Add the Vita Weat and Vegemite "mash" to the fermenter and top up to 27L with cold water. Sg will be about 1.07. Pitch yeast at 30deg.
When fermented, Fg will be around .995 and wash will clear and settle. Rack and run through a plated column. Make cuts being sure to include late hearts/early tails. Notice that the tails don't smell too off? At this point, you can either age (or drink) or do a second gen.
To do the second gen, add 3 litres of backset to a bucket and dissolve 4.5kg more of sugar. Make another batch of the "mash" and add to a clean fermenter along with the sugar and backset. Top top 27L and pitch 2Tbs of yeast. Distill when ready with feints from first gen. Make cuts and blend with cuts from first gen (this will give a bit more flavour to the first gen). Age or drink.

I found this to have a complex flavour similar to a good scotch blend with a liquorice undertone. I also tried it with some homemade peatreek http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic ... 2&start=20

This turned it into an Islay style whisky instantly for those who enjoy those flavours.

Please give this a go a let me know your results. I have not aged any for more than a week but I can only see it getting better!

s'n's
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Re: Easy "Scotch" (with a twist)

Postby Urrazeb » Wed Oct 08, 2014 9:54 pm

Hmmm this is interesting.

I'm game :handgestures-thumbupleft: I'll give it a crack mate
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby spit'n'shine » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:14 am

:handgestures-thumbupleft:

Let us know how yours turns out mate. If its as good as mine, you won't be disappointed!

I'll keep testing this recipe as it ages, and add to this thread as I do.
spit'n'shine

equipment: 2" Boka , 2" Pot still , 4" 4 plate column blockhead "Angry Bob", 50l keg boiler (gas)

Postby Atreu » Wed May 06, 2015 10:45 am

spit'n'shine wrote::handgestures-thumbupleft:

Let us know how yours turns out mate. If its as good as mine, you won't be disappointed!

Hey Spit, how has your testing with this recipe gone? Has it aged as well as you had hoped it would?
Atreu

equipment: 5SD 4" 5 plate Bubbler with Packed Section... And an 8", 5SD inline thumper.

5SD carter head coming soon!!

Postby spit'n'shine » Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:06 am

Atreu wrote:
spit'n'shine wrote::handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hey Spit, how has your testing with this recipe gone? Has it aged as well as you had hoped it would?

Sorry it took so long to reply! :oops: I actually tried some for the first time in months last weekend. It is really tasty!! Aniseed taste has really eased off to very subtle (just adds a bit of character) but definately a scotch-like flavour. I am very happy with it for how simple and cheap the recipe is! A while longer on oak will improve it even more for sure.
I would really like to hear others opinions on it so I'm hoping someone else will give it a go soon. A real nice change from UJ or DWWG.. That's for sure!
spit'n'shine

Postby rumdidlydum » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:14 pm

I'm verry interested in giving this one a go :think:
The vegemite would be a good yeast nutrient wouldn't it?
And obviously flavour.
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby WTDist » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:05 pm

Im keen when i get fermenting flavored washes.

I eat Vegemite by the spoonful :D
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby spit'n'shine » Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:54 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:I'm verry interested in giving this one a go :think:
The vegemite would be a good yeast nutrient wouldn't it?
And obviously flavour.

Hey rumdidlydum, That's what I figured.. Definitely had no trouble fermenting out dry, and it has not added any off flavours to the distillate. From memory the wash was pleasant too, like a beer! Give it a go! I'm getting on it now actually, loving it!! :-D

I'm going to do another batch soon, I have the feints from last run and some backset in the freezer.. I'm assuming the flavour will be stronger next batch. :drool:

WTDist wrote:Im keen when i get fermenting flavored washes.

I eat Vegemite by the spoonful :D

WTDist, I'm not a huge fan of Vegemite but thought it would a) act as a yeast nutrient, b) add a "darker" flavour to the wash and c) be a bit of a novelty as Vegemite and vita-weats go hand in hand (apparently).. :-D
spit'n'shine

Postby spit'n'shine » Sat Jun 27, 2015 1:19 pm

Vita-Weats were on special at Woolies today so I thought I would have another crack at this. Everything the same except 3 packets (750g total) of the bisuits instead of 2. 2 litres of backset were also added to the wash and the feints from the previous run will be added to the boiler for distilling.

I am making an effort to intensify the flavour as it is very nice but not quite as strong as I would like.

So the recipe for 27L total is now:

4.5kg sugar
2 Tbsp vegemite
3 packets 9 grain Vita weats (750g total)
2 Tbsp Bakers yeast

Anybody tried this yet?
spit'n'shine

Postby mattcoffs » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:54 am

So what made you try vegemite mate? Was it for a nutrient or flavour? i'm curious because i too eat the shit from a spoon but would never have thought to try it in scotch! :)
mattcoffs

equipment: T500 boiler. 2" boka. 2" pot. 100ltr SS stockpot boiler build

Postby stattonb » Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:58 pm

just put a 25ltre batch of this down and is bubbling away really nice, i dont like scotch but the guy next store does so gonna try it out on him when its ready
stattonb

equipment: T500 - Minus the crappy plastic outlet pipe
2'' Pot Still Condenser

Postby EziTasting » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:39 pm

stattonb wrote:just put a 25ltre batch of this down and is bubbling away really nice, i dont like scotch but the guy next store does so gonna try it out on him when its ready

as a newbie, I am very keen to see how you went with this? Repeating someone else recipe can always bring on surprises... While I'm not ready to still anything (need a still :)) ) I would love to know how easy this was to repeat. It certainly looks easy enough!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby stattonb » Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:54 am

Doing 2nd gen now it fermented out in 5 days and look promising
stattonb

2'' Pot Still Condenser

Postby stattonb » Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:36 pm

3rd gen getting run now doesnt have the best smell when ya open the ferm but still coming along nicely
stattonb

2'' Pot Still Condenser

Postby EziTasting » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:16 am

stattonb wrote:3rd gen getting run now doesnt have the best smell when ya open the ferm but still coming along nicely

Are you testing how many Gens you get out of this before it goes to crap, or do you already know how many gens can be used?
Sorry, bit short on knowledge about generational stilling/fermenting... have read that it is part of the regular process with some distillers to ensure a consistent product?!?!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby Nino » Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:05 pm

EziTasting wrote:
stattonb wrote:3rd gen getting run now doesnt have the best smell when ya open the ferm but still coming along nicely

Are you testing how many Gens you get out of this before it goes to crap, or do you already know how many gens can be used?
Sorry, bit short on knowledge about generational stilling/fermenting... have read that it is part of the regular process with some distillers to ensure a consistent product?!?!

:text-+1:
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby stattonb » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:18 am

only done up to 3rd gen so im n ot sure got half on oak for 3 weeks and the rest straight into the bottle
stattonb

2'' Pot Still Condenser

Postby Unna240 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:30 am

I did a single gen and ran it through the bubbler can't say I'm keen on the unoaked 40 percent stuff and I love single malt. I have 2 litres at 65 percent with 2 heavy charred dominoes, hopefully it improves to a point where it is drinkable :puke-huge: (mine is quite nasty atm) not sure why. I haven't given up on it just yet though.I had high hopes for it also, I don't like Vegemite though could be part of it possibly.
Unna240

equipment: 4 inch neutraliser 50l keg boiler 2x 2400w elements, gin basket

Postby stattonb » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:45 am

yea i have noticed it does need to be aged for abit to become drinkable well thats going by my taste buds lol
stattonb

2'' Pot Still Condenser

Postby spit'n'shine » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:36 pm

stattonb wrote:yea i have noticed it does need to be aged for abit to become drinkable well thats going by my taste buds lol

Hey stattonb, hows it tasting after aging? I'm trying some of my last batch labeled 19/8/15 and it is good! Very scotchy compared to any other homemade stuff I've tried.

Unna240 wrote:I did a single gen and ran it through the bubbler can't say I'm keen on the unoaked 40 percent stuff and I love single malt. I have 2 litres at 65 percent with 2 heavy charred dominoes, hopefully it improves to a point where it is drinkable :puke-huge: (mine is quite nasty atm) not sure why. I haven't given up on it just yet though.I had high hopes for it also, I don't like Vegemite though could be part of it possibly.

Unna240, I found it was very drinkable straight from the parrots beak ;-) .. Only thing I can think of is did you use the "9 Grain Vita weats"? They have a higher barley percentage compared to the others.
spit'n'shine

Next

Return to Recipe Development