Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato paste wash

Postby Sam. » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:50 am

The tried and proven recipe is the first post in this thread.

Anything after that is people's variations, there is no righ or wrong way but if you stick to the first one you can't go wrong. If you think you can improve it then go for it.

TPW is one of the most popular washes by far, if you want somewhere else to read about it try here ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby jongf » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:45 pm

thanks for this recipe just pitched the yeast. this is my first tpw and only my 2nd wash since starting this hobby.
jongf

equipment: bokabob reflux still

Postby bostonw1 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 3:31 pm

can anyone let me know what temperature when distilling TPW
bostonw1

equipment: I'm using a Reflux Still purchased from Country Brewer.

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:22 pm

bostonw1 wrote:can anyone let me know what temperature when distilling TPW

what do you mean fermenting I try to hold it at 30 deg till it stops bubbling then let it settle for another few days
distilling you should aim for 78 deg
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Dominator » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:33 pm

bostonw1 wrote:can anyone let me know what temperature when distilling TPW

Pretty much everyone here wont run their still by temperature per say. We collect everything down to about 30%ABV, bar your foreshots and then make cuts by taste and smell. Have a read here, Guide to cuts.
Being new here, why dont you pop over to the intro section and let us know what your about, and if you haven't already, I strongly suggest you have a read through the newbie section.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby znipa-x » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:18 am

thinking I'll give my first TPW a run today, quick question, do I still need to add the distilling conditioner/defoaming agent.
znipa-x

Postby bayshine » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:55 am

I dont bother any more,except if I've filled the boiler to much :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bayshine

equipment: FSD 6 inch 5 plater block head On a FSD 100lt pro boiler
3” copper reducer bokka on a keg boiler

Tomato paste wash

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Sep 14, 2013 1:25 pm

znipa-x wrote:thinking I'll give my first TPW a run today, quick question, do I still need to add the distilling conditioner/defoaming agent.

Just add a drop of olive oil if you're worried. Does the same thing and loads cheaper.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Konzo » Sat Sep 14, 2013 6:07 pm

With Doc's assistance and guidance we distilled a batch of TPW. It is red hot and a fantastic recipe, I would recommend this process to everyone on the forum. It's fantastic!!!
Konzo

equipment: 6" Plated Mac Still on 200L "Mr Squiggle" Boiler :-)

Postby the Doctor » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:08 pm

Someone mentioned using anti foaming agents, I have never had TPW puke so never use anti foam or oil for this wash. It is normally quite happy with a rolling boil without foaming. If it is foaming just PM your recipe I can have a look. Take care.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby dungee » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:23 pm

So I'm going to put one of these down this weekend, went to Woolies and picked up the goodies for a grand total of $9 :-) I'm wondering what the tomato paste does, is this like DAP for nutrients or is it to get the pH to a desired level?
dungee

equipment: T500 kit from HBS.

Tomato paste wash

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:29 pm

dungee wrote:So I'm going to put one of these down this weekend, went to Woolies and picked up the goodies for a grand total of $9 :-) I'm wondering what the tomato paste does, is this like DAP for nutrients or is it to get the pH to a desired level?

The paste is a yeast nutrient, the lemon juice or citric acid is for the ph tweak.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby crow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:06 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:The paste is a yeast nutrient, the lemon juice or citric acid is for the ph tweak.

citric acid also acts as a buffer agent and for that reason is the recommended pH adjuster although I'm starting to think it may not work well for very long as a buffer without the equal inclusion of a citric base like sodium citrate :-B
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Tomato paste wash

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:50 pm

I have had great success with the standard tpw in 20 litre fermenters
now I have a chance of getting a BIG stainless conical fermenter
Problem is its easy to keep 20 litre fermenters at 30 deg
Can I change the yeast to run unheated in the BIG one
Un heated at the moment they seem to run at about 19 deg
Aussiedownunder01

equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby MacStill » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:10 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:I have had great success with the standard tpw in 20 litre fermenters

I'd use a wine or champagne yeast for lower temp fermenting, EC1118 would be my first choice :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:25 pm

I love the ec1118...but cue bt1 who'll tell you that a low temp lager yeast will not only work at low temp but will generate a lot of heat and attenuate nicely at far lower than 19°c...

So whatever your HBS has. Lager yeast or the ec1118.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby the Doctor » Thu Sep 26, 2013 7:56 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:I have had great success with the standard tpw in 20 litre fermenters

We do our TPW in 1000 liter batches using EC- 1118 or Lallemand uvaferm 43 yeast...it is fermented in a temperature controlled fermentation room at 19.6 degrees and takes never less than 3 weeks to ferment, we allow 4 weeks per batch. We use Fermaid (Dap and spent yeast shells) and Go Ferm with tomato paste (Although the T/paste is mostly to clean up the smell of the wash, not so much as a nutrient) We have never had a stuck ferment, the long ferment gives us an extremely clean wash. I am not a fan of really fast ferments at high temps. The wash in the first week will generate a huge amount of heat. If you start too hot, this compounds the problem of potential overheating. I think that Mac's idea of ec-1118 is good as it is very clean and relatively slow. It is a bullet proof killer strain and a very complete fermenter. You may find that your wash is even better at the lower temperature. Let us know how it goes. Cheers.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:14 pm

Thanks Dock will give it a go going shopping tomorrow so will get some
Aussiedownunder01

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:21 am

Hi Dock I remember you posting a link to where you get yeast would you please post again
Aussiedownunder01

Postby wynnum1 » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:49 am

"T/paste is mostly to clean up the smell " that's an interesting observation .
wynnum1

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development