Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato paste wash

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:41 pm

znipa-x wrote:so if I was to run this TPW through my little 5ltr reflux, obviously 5 runs for the 25ltrs, how much neutral could I expect per run, currently with turbo I get about 800ml of clean odourless neutral, that's after taking 100ml of heads (that goes into the metho bottle for general cleaning and lawn mower augmentation) and cutting off well before the smelly tails (that get recycled).

Its all relative .
8Kg sugar in a 25L turbo wash ......800ml per batch
5Kg sugar in a 25L TPW wash ......500ml per batch

I used one of those 5Lt boilers when I first started this Hobby .Was fine at first but taking 5 nights in a row to do a wash I quickly upgraded to a 25 Liter boiler

You may need to run your still a little slower if its one of these as the wash is only 12-14% verses 18-20% for a turbo and they don't reflux all that well
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Dominator » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:55 pm

znipa-x wrote:so if I was to run this TPW through my little 5ltr reflux, obviously 5 runs for the 25ltrs, how much neutral could I expect per run, currently with turbo I get about 800ml of clean odourless neutral, that's after taking 100ml of heads (that goes into the metho bottle for general cleaning and lawn mower augmentation) and cutting off well before the smelly tails (that get recycled).

How long is a piece of string?... What ABV does your still collect at? How serious are your cuts? I am no expert on neutral spirits but the general consensus is your "clean odourless turbo neutral" is shit compared to a well distilled TPW. FFS, everyone on the forum raves about it, it will cost you about the same as 1 x packet of turbo yeast! Go to the shops, buy some sugar, bakers yeast and tomato paste and give it a go.
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby znipa-x » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:39 pm

Dominator wrote:

How long is a piece of string?... What ABV does your still collect at? How serious are your cuts? I am no expert on neutral spirits but the general consensus is your "clean odourless turbo neutral" is shit compared to a well distilled TPW. FFS, everyone on the forum raves about it, it will cost you about the same as 1 x packet of turbo yeast! Go to the shops, buy some sugar, bakers yeast and tomato paste and give it a go.

"FFS" yeah see, this is why I rarely comment on forums such as this... ask a serious question and get slammed by "experts" & "purest"... "FFS" my reflux gets me 95% at 20% abmbient, I don't do "cuts" I take out heads when the the temp stabilises, usually after 100mls I start my run, after a 0.6-0.8c (about and hour) difference or when I start to smell tails, I stop, on 5ltrs that's 700-800ml, I cut tails after that and recycle. the closer to the end of my wash + recycle the longer it holds an the more I get.. with turbo it's like science I can look at my watch and the temp and switch the jug collecting.. so at which times, degress.. can I do it with a "tried & proven" TPW wash.. appreciate you guys have been doing what yu do for a while, but we all have in various areas.. and now I have more time I'm trying to expand and go more traditional.. so I'd appreciate no being patronised...
znipa-x

Tomato paste wash

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:40 pm

Work on 10% max of what goes in. You put 5L in then you could hope at best to pul 500ml out. But one TPW and you'll never go back to turbo.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Sam. » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:46 pm

znipa-x wrote:
Dominator wrote:

"FFS" yeah see, this is why I rarely comment on forums such as this... ask a serious question and get slammed by "experts" & "purest"... "FFS" my reflux gets me 95% at 20% abmbient, I don't do "cuts" I take out heads when the the temp stabilises, usually after 100mls I start my run, after a 0.6-0.8c (about and hour) difference or when I start to smell tails, I stop, on 5ltrs that's 700-800ml, I cut tails after that and recycle. the closer to the end of my wash + recycle the longer it holds an the more I get.. with turbo it's like science I can look at my watch and the temp and switch the jug collecting.. so at which times, degress.. can I do it with a "tried & proven" TPW wash.. appreciate you guys have been doing what yu do for a while, but we all have in various areas.. and now I have more time I'm trying to expand and go more traditional.. so I'd appreciate no being patronised...

If you are so happy with your turbo then stick with it. If you want to try something different then do it and see the results for yourself. There is a reason why a lot of people use this recipe over turbos and its not just about price ;-)
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Dominator » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:33 pm

Dominator wrote:How long is a piece of string?... What ABV does your still collect at? How serious are your cuts? I am no expert on neutral spirits but the general consensus is your "clean odourless turbo neutral" is shit compared to a well distilled TPW. FFS, everyone on the forum raves about it, it will cost you about the same as 1 x packet of turbo yeast! Go to the shops, buy some sugar, bakers yeast and tomato paste and give it a go.

znipa-x wrote:"FFS" yeah see, this is why I rarely comment on forums such as this... ask a serious question and get slammed by "experts" & "purest"... "FFS" my reflux gets me 95% at 20% abmbient, I don't do "cuts" I take out heads when the the temp stabilises, usually after 100mls I start my run, after a 0.6-0.8c (about and hour) difference or when I start to smell tails, I stop, on 5ltrs that's 700-800ml, I cut tails after that and recycle. the closer to the end of my wash + recycle the longer it holds an the more I get.. with turbo it's like science I can look at my watch and the temp and switch the jug collecting.. so at which times, degress.. can I do it with a "tried & proven" TPW wash.. appreciate you guys have been doing what yu do for a while, but we all have in various areas.. and now I have more time I'm trying to expand and go more traditional.. so I'd appreciate no being patronised...

Like I said, I am no expert and I would not call myself a "purest", I am not patronising you, I am telling you to have a go because everyone that does never looks back! As said above, TPW ferments to about 10% so theoretically there is 500ml of ethanol in a 5L boiler charge. However your still will collect at 95% to a point then your ABV will begin to drop. You may also find that with a lower ABV wash your distillate may come off at a lower %. Every still is different so we can't tell you what temp or time your heads/hearts/tails will come. That is why we make cuts, so 'you' keep the product 'your' happy with. Like sam said, most of the T&P recipes are more about quality product, not so much about being cheap. Give it a go yourself and let us know what you think.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:38 pm

znipa-x wrote:
Dominator wrote:

Calm down cobber, Dominator was actually giving you good advise.

You wont get as much from this TPW recipe as with your average turbo pushed to it's limit, but you will be rewarded with a much nicer end result that has been proven many many times before you got here.

;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby znipa-x » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:58 pm

hehe, yeah O.K sorry dominator mistaken netiquette maybe.... I've been around the block a few times :smile: .. anyway but yeah I count myself as noob on that account re this type of recipe, I'm very wary of the... "do it this way crowd".... so I'll give it crack and work on 10% rule to start with :) tho my nose will be the judge at first cut :), my old boiler/column just refused this type of wash percentage it hated anything under a 20% offering, so I'm hoping the new one is more accommodating, I'm hoping I will be pleasantly surprised with a TPW... but I still think I'll need to learn the temps pretty quick :)
znipa-x

Postby Dominator » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:24 pm

Once you have run a few TPW's then you will be able to use your temps/volumes as a guide to where you cut, same as you do with your turbos. Just dont go in expecing the same yeilds, quality not quantity. The difference is TPW takes longer to ferment and clear, but it will clear on its own. No need for turbo clear and with good cuts there is no need for carbon filtering. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:19 am

A friend said what do you mean cuts just discard the first 100 mm then keep the rest :laughing-rolling:
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby yetti » Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:57 am

would running TPW through a pot or reflux produce better flavours?
yetti

equipment: reflux and pot with 30L electric boiler

Postby SBB » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:35 am

Yetti , TPW was originally designed as a Neutral wash, results will always be best using a reflux still, though many do try it with pot stills.

Znipper, You will never make a good spirit without making cuts, You need to learn about them if you aim to make a good product. Better to start learning sooner rather than later.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby yetti » Thu Aug 15, 2013 8:47 am

thanks SSB, if I was to add some corn or grains for flavour would they be stripped out in a reflux or make it through?
yetti

equipment: reflux and pot with 30L electric boiler

Tomato paste wash

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:07 am

yetti wrote:thanks SSB, if I was to add some corn or grains for flavour would they be stripped out in a reflux or make it through?

No mate they won't, or not in any kind of discernible way. The reflux action strips out all flavour - or it should if its working right. My advice is make the best cleanest neutral and flavour afterwards. And no, don't add corn to neutral after distilling. BT1 tried that experiment for us and said it was revolting so no point wasting time putting corn in your shine.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Dominator » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:59 am

Like SBB and BB said, TPW run through a reflux still for neutral, if you want to make easy grain whisky try UJSSM (uncle jesses simple sour mash) or Macs BWKO (bourbon whiskey knock off) amd run them through your pot still.
Dominator

4" Perf Plate Bubbler

Postby bostonw1 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:49 pm

MacStill wrote:Here's my version for a 25L wash.

5kg sugar
80grams bakers yeast
1/4 tea spoon citric acid
200 grams leggo's tomato paste.

Mix sugar, tomato paste, citric acid and 10 liters hot water into your fermenter to disolve all the sugar.

Top up with cool water and hopefully you've got it at about 30c

Pitch yeast.
This wash will clear on it's own to a pale pink colour, there is no need to for any sort of filtering.
therefore, there is no home brew shop additives or agents required.

Happy stillin' Folks

Cheers.

Hi There going try first attempt at TPW, New member
bostonw1

equipment: I'm using a Reflux Still purchased from Country Brewer.

Postby Timmsy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:05 pm

I normally run

6kg of sugar
1 tub of tomato paste
juice of 1 lemon
pinch of epson salts
and about 1qtr tin of bakers yeast
ferment over 2 to 3 weeks around 28degress
Let sit for about a week to clear

Then i distil in the T500 between 55 to 60 degrees and end up with about 2.7ltrs of 92%

I still use turbo if need alcohol but TPW is the go
Timmsy

equipment: Amateur distiller.
T500 reflux
2" pot still 1500mm high sitting on a 50ltr electric keg boiler
50ltr gatorade mash tun, 25ltr HLT

Postby satchy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:07 pm

Why are we adding recipes to the proven section ???
satchy

equipment: T500 and pot still

Postby drunkmore » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:48 pm

satchy wrote:Why are we adding recipes to the proven section ???

Because this is a living breathing continually evolving forum.
drunkmore

equipment: Pda1 over a 50ltr Keg cooled via recirculated 2000 ltr water tank
Cookan with Gass

Postby satchy » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:38 am

drunkmore wrote:
satchy wrote:Why are we adding recipes to the proven section ???

Because this is a living breathing continually evolving forum.

That's a given

But isn't there another place for them I'm not going to see it 4 pages or so into another recipe ????
satchy

equipment: T500 and pot still

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development