Tomato Paste Wash (TPW) Recipe Discussion

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Re: Tomato paste wash

Postby the Doctor » Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:20 pm

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:Hi Dock I remember you posting a link to where you get yeast would you please post again

They are winequip in Melbourne. Also if you are doing 1000 liters of wash at a time, sugar washes smell like crap, for 9 kilo's of T/Paste you can barely notice it. I buy cheap wholesale T/ Paste, so for the benefit of all those who are working around it...a cheap investment. If you are just doing small washes in the laundry probably overkill.
Doc
the Doctor

equipment: 6 plate bubble cap, grain brewery

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:50 am

Ok upping tpw to 80 litres just multiply every thing by 4 what happens if you don't have enough yeast
Do you add later or will it be ok
I also I notice some use brewers and bakers yeast 1/2 //1/2
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby MacStill » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:14 am

Dont worry too much if you need to pitch less yeast, it'll just take a little longer to get going.... or you could do a starter, but not really needed.

Mixing yeasts I dont understand, as it'll just be a survival of the fittest until one strain kills the other off, IMHO you'd be better off sticking to 1 type for each wash ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:30 pm

Thanks Mack looks like its all go
Aussiedownunder01

equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby drunkmore » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:13 am

MacStill wrote:
Mixing yeasts I dont understand, as it'll just be a survival of the fittest until one strain kills the other off, IMHO you'd be better off sticking to 1 type for each wash ;-)

I'm not so sure that the mixing yeast was done to have two different yeasts slug it out but, as I recall from one recipe, you boil the bakers yeast so as to kill it.
Yeast is very canabalistic (If that's a word). It loves to eat its own dead, and strangely enough dead yeast is a very good source of nutrient for living yeast.
I believe the mixing of the two yeasts was to add nutrient to the strongest yeast. In my opinion with a TPW there is no need.
Audidownunder Your question is can you add more yeast later if you don't have enough? The answer is a few more questions? How much short of the recipe are you? Quarter short. No problem Yeast will grow. It will take a little longer to ferment Half Short. No problem Same again Yeast will grow. Only It will take a lot longer. Less than half missing , I think wait till you can get some more
The only time I have pitched more yeast into a TPW was when my brew room got to 49 c and cooked the batch at day two.
Yes it worked
drunkmore

equipment: Pda1 over a 50ltr Keg cooled via recirculated 2000 ltr water tank
Cookan with Gass

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:41 am

Thanks drunkmore probley 1/4 short
I picked up some ec 118 from wine quip yesterday 500 gm $27.00 so I have plenty for the next few batches :razz:
from what they told me and I read for a 70 litre wash 20 gm is enough so that's about 25 washes :-D
Aussiedownunder01

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:51 am

When you boil yeast the cells burst, releasing the nutrient and making it available to live yeast to consume. It's a cheap way to add nutrient to the wash if you don't have any DAP. It can give the wash a very bready aroma though so be sparing when you add boiled yeast - and let it cool too.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby Dominator » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:23 am

BackyardBrewer wrote:It can give the wash a very bready aroma though so be sparing when you add boiled yeast.

If your using a specalised strain, like EC1118, in a TPW, how would it go boiling it after using it. Do you think that would reduce the chance of bread/off flavours?
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby MacStill » Wed Oct 02, 2013 9:32 am

drunkmore wrote:

MacStill wrote:

I'm not so sure that the mixing yeast was done to have two different yeasts slug it out but, as I recall from one recipe, you boil the bakers yeast so as to kill it.
Yeast is very canabalistic (If that's a word). It loves to eat its own dead, and strangely enough dead yeast is a very good source of nutrient for living yeast.
I believe the mixing of the two yeasts was to add nutrient to the strongest yeast. In my opinion with a TPW there is no need.
Audidownunder Your question is can you add more yeast later if you don't have enough? The answer is a few more questions? How much short of the recipe are you? Quarter short. No problem Yeast will grow. It will take a little longer to ferment Half Short. No problem Same again Yeast will grow. Only It will take a lot longer. Less than half missing , I think wait till you can get some more
The only time I have pitched more yeast into a TPW was when my brew room got to 49 c and cooked the batch at day two.
Yes it worked

Seeing as we're talking about the original TPW (birdwatchers) in the tried & proven section I think my comments are warranted, I do realise there are "other" recipes that recommend boiling yeast for nutrient, however this recipe aint one.

Gawd I'd hate to be a noob trying to follow some of these tried and proven recipes, if everyone just sticks to the original recipes in this section & use the other appropriate sections for recipe bastardising our newbies would benefit much :handgestures-thumbupleft:

;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:09 am

My thoughts exactly I asked the question on yeasts in tpw in another section and somebody moved it to this section
Aussiedownunder01

Postby MacStill » Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:11 am

Aussiedownunder01 wrote:My thoughts exactly I asked the question on yeasts in tpw in another section and somebody moved it to this section

I will hunt the offender down and :teasing-nutkick: :violence-smack: :violence-stickwhack: :law-policered:

:text-lol:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby BackyardBrewer » Wed Oct 02, 2013 12:54 pm

MacStill wrote:
Aussiedownunder01 wrote:My thoughts exactly I asked the question on yeasts in tpw in another section and somebody moved it to this section

I will hunt the offender down and :teasing-nutkick: :violence-smack: :violence-stickwhack: :law-policered:

:text-lol:

I agree, just adding an explanation of what happens when you boil it - but yes, what mac said for those of you here for the first time:

Dear Newbies: Just follow the TPW recipe as it is, save yourself some money & time.

(and no, not me who moved it :handgestures-thumbupleft: )
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby drunkmore » Wed Oct 02, 2013 5:40 pm

I'm sorry :oops: I didn't even realise we were in tried and true ...
But answered the question Lol I didn't move it either. :D
BackyardBrewer wrote:
Dear Newbies: Just follow the TPW recipe as it is, save yourself some money & time.

:text-+1:

Then go and experiment with all the things we have all done and then wondered why it didn't work but remember its not the same as a turbo so don't expect the same as a turbo.
drunkmore

equipment: Pda1 over a 50ltr Keg cooled via recirculated 2000 ltr water tank
Cookan with Gass

Postby Liquorstax » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:01 pm

Hi all,

In case anyone is wondering whether the TPW will work with an Air Still, here is my experience.

I made 28ltrs of wash in a 30ltr Carboy using:

6kg Sugar
250g Legos No Salt Tomato Paste
1/4 tsp Citric Acid
100g Yeomans Bakers Yeast

Total Cost a Woolworths about $7.00

It took about 10 days to ferment out.

I put 4ltrs in the little Air Still each time and took off 800ml at 50% giving me 1ltr at 40% with the net result being 7ltrs

So much better and cheaper then the brew shop turbo's, the spirit comes off so clean, however I did carbon filter for a final polish.

I'm a convert!!! It's TPW for me from now on.

I hope this helps someone who might be like me with just a little Air Still and wondering if the TPW is going to work for them.
Liquorstax

equipment: Air Still, TPW Essenses

Postby Kimbo » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:24 pm

Thanks for that mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
By the way, I moved your identical post from the Airstill section. ;-)
How 'bout swinging by the welcome centre for a quick intro :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby dj1984 » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:17 pm

ive just finished a 50L batch fermented in just over a week its still murky can i run it now or should i wait for the yeast to settle?

Also what is the Final gravity ment to be on this??
dj1984

equipment: Amphora society PDA-1

Postby Sam. » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:45 pm

dj1984 wrote:ive just finished a 50L batch fermented in just over a week its still murky can i run it now or should i wait for the yeast to settle?

Also what is the Final gravity ment to be on this??

As close to .990 as you can get :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Rumdog » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:13 pm

Hi all, alcholtears,

Do I need to charcoal my TPW sprits? :think:

It tastes bloody good anyway. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :text-+1:
Rumdog

equipment: Copper Reflux and pot

Postby Kimbo » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:20 pm

Rumdog wrote:Hi all, alcholtears,

Do I need to charcoal my TPW sprits? :think:

It tastes bloody good anyway. :handgestures-thumbupleft: :text-+1:

Hi Rumdog, no need to filter your TPW mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
If you want to ... that's up to you ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Muppet » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:23 pm

Negative mate this wash is fine without charcoal filtering, just do your cuts and enjoy :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

PreviousNext

Return to Recipe Development