Rum from molasses

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Rum from molasses

Postby googe » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:37 pm

Hey all, I've had many go to rum recipes over the time, but this has proved the superior so far.

4L molasses, I use fancy at around 68% sugars, so you'll.need to adjust for lower % molasses.
8L.water
60g bakers yeast

I mix mollasses and 8L of hot tap water till molasses is well dissolved.
I let cool.to around 35c, then add yeast and mix in a bit.
about an hour later once the yeast has soaked in, I give it a good mix.
Once or twice a day I stir the head back in.
After 3~4 days another 8L water and 60g of bakers yeast is added, stir in and mix well, being careful of foam up.
After another 2~3 days, another 60g of bakers is added, and a.table spoon of bi carb soda, stir in well and be very careful of foam up lol.
I let it sit for 3~4 says till there's no more activity. after the last yeast is added it will go crazy, then it will.seem like its dead, but you should see large very slow bubbles come up from.the yeast bed. This wasH smells amazing!. The end product volume is low due to the molasses amount.
I have done this side by side, one wash in the step way discribed above, and the other was standard way with everything thrown in together, the step ferment is superior.

Its by far the best rum I've ever done or tasted, it has this silky smooth mouth feel, its got good body. I have it white, I will be trying some oaked when I get to nz, and will be trying it with 6~8L molasses also, just to try bump.up.the content.

Edit..this can be done with molasses/raw sugar mix too.

Edit..since moving to nz, fancy and good stock molasses is like gold here, so I've had to result to the most foul molasses created by man and this recipe is the only way I can get a decent rum from all molasses.

I was surfing around one day looking at rum recipes etc and stumbled across this http://www.distillingliquor.com/2014/12 ... -make-rum/ so thought hmm I'll give the recipe at the bottom a go, so adjusted it as best I could and went from there, would like to try a few other recipes they have there to, especially the Jamaican one sounds interesting.

Cheers
googe

equipment: Single.plate cm

Re: Rum from molasses

Postby EziTasting » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:31 pm

This sounds interesting; NB: I've never done a rum wash!

Have you found that this improves all of the rum recipe, by method!?!
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby googe » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:54 pm

Yes the method is the improvement I've found, have done alot of experimenting with it. Have tried it with neutral based washes also, didn't return such defined results.
googe

Postby bluc » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:54 pm

I am a bit confused how does adding water and yeast gradually help :ugeek: I thought it would be more benificial to start with full amount of water and gradually add molasses so as not to stress the yeast :think:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby scythe » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:55 pm

180g of yeast sounds like a lot.
or is it meant to be 20g every few days?
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby Andy » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:44 am

bluc wrote:I am a bit confused how does adding water and yeast gradually help :ugeek: I thought it would be more benificial to start with full amount of water and gradually add molasses so as not to stress the yeast :think:

yeah that was my understanding. gradual addition of sugars and nutrients, in this care molasses reducers stress on yeast leading to a nice clean rum
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby wiifm » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:35 am

Maybe the goal is to stress the first batch of yeast to get some 'ruminess' :teasing-tease:
wiifm

equipment: 4 plate glasser using FSD bubble caps

Postby bluc » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:42 pm

Of course never thought of that. Each new introduction of yeast ferments the wash a bit further. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby googe » Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:49 am

I've tried it with total water content, then adding molasses gradually bluc, didn't ferment well. Yep 180g scythe, it's alot compared to some recipes, I've always liked lots of yeast in my rums though, gives body or something. I've always thought that wiifm with the recipe, like I said in the recipe, at the end when it's starting to settle, the yeast bed is big and large slow bubbles can be seen popping up , can go on for a few days and smells Devine!. It has a very silky/creamy taste when distilled, maybe that's from.the large yeast amounts?. It doesn't seen to carry over that yuck excess yeast flavors you sometimes get when using to much yeast. So, maybe the yuck yeast flavors are from active distilled yeasts, not dead yeasts?. Buggerd if I know lol.
googe

Postby WTDist » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:36 am

After another 2~3 days, another 60g of bakers is added, and a.table spoon of bi carb soda, stir in well and be very careful of foam up lol.

from home distiller

Mike warns though ..

It's OK to add baking soda or other alkali to a STRIPPED wash, but NEVER put it in the primary ferment and then distill. If you do, and your still contains ANY copper, you will severely corrode the copper, and get blue, ammonia-smelling distillate. Not fun!
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby Sam. » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:35 am

What mike has said above has been proven to be bullshit :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Andy » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:00 pm

Sam. wrote:What mike has said above has been proven to be bullshit :-B

since when?
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby wedwards » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:50 pm

If you just use molasses, the yield might be lower, but there would be no need for multiple generations to achieve a nice strong flavour correct?

Now to work out how to adapt this to a 200 litre wash :))
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby Sam. » Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:56 pm

Andy wrote:

since when?

Plenty of people have added alkali substances to their wash to adjust ph without making blue distillate, one member here even pushed the limits to see if it would happen and could never achieve it :-B
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby bluc » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:29 pm

wedwards wrote:If you just use molasses, the yield might be lower, but there would be no need for multiple generations to achieve a nice strong flavour correct?

Now to work out how to adapt this to a 200 litre wash :))

Have heard 6l molasses in 30l total wash is a good amount times it by 6 for 180 you could probably push to 7 batchs 42l molasses in 210l. .Not sure if that would give enough headroom Remember to leave lid loose couple days to avoid froth over. Personally think I would go 6 batchs at once 36l molasses top up to 180l with water, for 30l headroom, it can go a bit berserk when it ferments :scared-eek:
bluc
Site Donor

Postby wedwards » Mon Apr 11, 2016 8:35 pm

Im onto it - will be getting supplies tomorrow :happy-partydance:
wedwards

Postby Bent stick » Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:55 pm

googe wrote:, the yeast bed is big and large slow bubbles can be seen popping up , can go on for a few days and smells Devine!. It has a very silky/creamy taste when distilled,

Sounds good googe. If i get time i might give it a go. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Bent stick

equipment: four plates.

Postby Bent stick » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:19 pm

WTDist wrote:
from home distiller

Andy wrote:

since when?

I think Andy and WT have to continue that thread in the safety section its where That drivel should stay. (only way i made copper sulphate was vinigar+citric acid cleaning copper.) no still required. dirty still could cause it.

Andy i didn't rip the copper guts out with a PH 8+ in each method i tried. each time was clear.

going by memory used ash from fireplace/Limestone./Bicarb.

your going to have to try harder than i did.................

Sam Bullshit could be useful. :))
Bent stick

equipment: four plates.

Postby googe » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:44 am

I've never had off booze from.using soda. I tried a few gens when I first did this wedwards, didn't like the taste, have an off flavor I can't really describe. Just work out the sugar content of you molasses and work it out from there, molasses at 50% sugar, molasses weighs 1.4kg per liter, 700g per liter, 5kg sugar for 30L wash, 7L molasses, about 46L for 200 wash. That hurt my brain 8-} .
googe

Postby wedwards » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:55 am

googe wrote:I've never had off booze from.using soda. I tried a few gens when I first did this wedwards, didn't like the taste, have an off flavor I can't really describe. Just work out the sugar content of you molasses and work it out from there, molasses at 50% sugar, molasses weighs 1.4kg per liter, 700g per liter, 5kg sugar for 30L wash, 7L molasses, about 46L for 200 wash. That hurt my brain 8-} .

off flavours arent kinda what i was hoping for. they come from the multi generations, or from the first/single gen? I'm pretty busy these days, so looking for a way to do a single gen and still have it taste reasonably good.
wedwards

Next

Return to Recipe Development