Double cuts on absinthe

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Double cuts on absinthe

Postby perroloko » Thu May 05, 2016 9:05 pm

Hi,
Just have these doubts about making absinth. I have a list of herbs
* anise
* nutmeg
* wormwood and the like (can post full list later if anyone is interested)

From what I have read you infuse these herbs into clear spirit then let it sit for a given period of time, then run it through the pot still. My question is when it's coming out of the pot still should I make cuts given that my clear spirit is a double distilled harshly cut TPW?

Cheers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
perroloko

equipment: nothing at the moment

Re: Double cuts on absinthe

Postby bluc » Thu May 05, 2016 9:12 pm

Definitely interested in a recipe. I think no matter how you make cuts with a pot there will always be some heads and tails maybe collect in real small amount so you don't lose so much product..was the tpw refluxed or pot stilled?
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Meatheadinc » Thu May 05, 2016 9:21 pm

recipe I have is seep the first lot of botanicals in good neutral , then distill. then add the other botanicals for colour and more flavour. the botanicals for each step are different
recipe is not handy ATM but will dig it out ( its in a "safe place" just cant remember where 8-} )

as for cuts, I would still make a small fores cut, and blend tails for taste
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby perroloko » Thu May 05, 2016 9:25 pm

bluc wrote:Definitely interested in a recipe. I think no matter how you make cuts with a pot there will always be some heads and tails maybe collect in real small amount so you don't lose so much product..was the tpw refluxed or pot stilled?

TPW is from a refluxed. I got Te recipe from this book

http://www.amazon.com/Kings-County-Dist ... 1419709909

I can post the recipe in a couple of days when I am back in oz.

Cheers mate
perroloko

Postby Professor Green » Thu May 05, 2016 10:06 pm

Hi perroloko,

You'll want to throw some fennel seeds in that mix and go easy on the nutmeg or it will overpower the other herbs.

The traditional recipes macerate the initial herbs for 12 to 24 hours in 85% neutral then dilute and pot still until the output becomes cloudy or you have collected the same volume as the initial pre-diluted charge. In my experience by the time that happens you're in tail country and they are not too tasty although this could be due to my small batch size. I always do cuts on my absinthe and select the jars that smell and taste the best - FWIW my blanche has been compared very favourably to the higher and commercial offerings.

As a starting point, have a look at the historical recipe section over at www.feeverte.net for basic details on the ingredients and procedure. Scale the recipes down for the volume of neutral you want to use.

Be sure to keep your macerated herbs away from the elements of they will scorch and ruin your day for sure. I strain the herbs into a hops bag and suspend it just above the liquid in the boiler.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby perroloko » Fri May 06, 2016 4:54 pm

Professor Green wrote:Hi perroloko,

You'll want to throw some fennel seeds in that mix and go easy on the nutmeg or it will overpower the other herbs.

The traditional recipes macerate the initial herbs for 12 to 24 hours in 85% neutral then dilute and pot still until the output becomes cloudy or you have collected the same volume as the initial pre-diluted charge. In my experience by the time that happens you're in tail country and they are not too tasty although this could be due to my small batch size. I always do cuts on my absinthe and select the jars that smell and taste the best - FWIW my blanche has been compared very favourably to the higher and commercial offerings.

As a starting point, have a look at the historical recipe section over at http://www.feeverte.net for basic details on the ingredients and procedure. Scale the recipes down for the volume of neutral you want to use.

Be sure to keep your macerated herbs away from the elements of they will scorch and ruin your day for sure. I strain the herbs into a hops bag and suspend it just above the liquid in the boiler.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

Maate I am so pump for this. Will get started next weekend :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Thanks for the help on this one.

Cheers
perroloko

Postby Professor Green » Fri May 06, 2016 7:37 pm

My pleasure mate, let us know how you go.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Return to Recipe Development