Ginger-Lemon Digéstif

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Ginger-Lemon Digéstif

Postby Swede » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:45 am

I posted this over on AD, but for those of you that don't make it over there very often, here it is............

While I was cutting up some fresh ginger root for a dish I was preparing, the fresh bright scent of the ginger inspired this recipe. I'm not sure it it's been done before, but I came up with this off the top of my head.

The ingredients;

2-3tbs fresh minced ginger root
zest of 1 lemon
1 cardamom pod, lightly crushed
2cups 95% neutral alcohol

Macerate all ingredients for at least a day to allow oils and flavors to marry. Strain and cut to 40% abv. Drink with water 2:1 over ice, resulting in a refreshing digestif after dinner, or sipped slowly anytime. The ginger is known to soothe the stomach and have various homeopathic benefits, so what better way to ingest it?

I didn't sweeten it at all, as I don't really care for liqueurs. I did try it with a splash of 7up, and found the sweetness did not compliment the taste at all. The lemon and cardamom really compliment freshness of the taste.

Here's a pic of the maceration, it does louche a bit when cut due to the oils from the lemon zest.

Ginger-Limon Digestif.jpg

And here's the louche when cut to about 40abv

Ginger-Limon Digestif 2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Swede

equipment: Keg still with VM and Pot head with thumper
240V 4500w electric with control sys
Semi automated steam mashing setup
Beer and kegging setup

Return to Recipe Development