Single Malt Mash Bill

This area is for recipes that are not yet proven, use this area for experiments, recipe research and development of your own variations. Once a recipe is accepted as being good by the consensus it will be moved to the proven section.

Single Malt Mash Bill

Postby cap73n » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:25 pm

Has anyone played around with different varieties of malt and built a mash bill for a single malt just like is common for a beer? Such as using a percentage of caramel or chocolate malt.
Any tasty recipes to recommend?
cap73n

equipment: Home made stainless VM reflux still with a 50mm x 1.5m column and a 28L boiler powered by twin 2000w internal elements. Column is packed with copper mesh.

Re: Single Malt Mash Bill

Postby Clickeral » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:34 pm

I managed to get 900ml of finished product at 2years old just recently from a 30L mash if Pilsner malt (6kg) aged on recycled dominoes from bourbon I had aged

Stuff smells amazing

Happy to explain more but its oretty straight forward :)

Any base malt should be a good starting point
Clickeral

equipment: 5 Hectoliters of Fermenting space (120L temp controlled)
12 Plate modular procap bubbler with 1020mm stainless packed sections and super reflux condenser
50L Milk can boiler 2x 2400w or 70L kettle (2x 2200w)
3v nanobrewery mashing

Postby TasSpirits » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:58 pm

Ive got a Pilsner/Choc Malt on oak ATM, my understanding is that Malts like Choc Malt are a adjunct only, I used it as one. Maybe a Beer Guru would know a bit more :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Postby bluc » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:05 pm

No expert but yes all of the dark grain is just for flavour as it has been roasted killing the enzymes :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Wobblyboot » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:07 pm

Try a macwhisky in tried and proven, I didn't like it straight of still but few months on oak, it's awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft: just did double batch, can't wait till its ready
Wobblyboot

equipment: 4" glass bubbler

Postby bluc » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:12 pm

Wobblyboot wrote:Try a macwhisky in tried and proven, I didn't like it straight of still but few months on oak, it's awesome :handgestures-thumbupleft: just did double batch, can't wait till its ready

I second that its not all grain but its damm good..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby TasSpirits » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:15 pm

Ill 3rd that, I have 9 different versions of this at various ages :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby WicketNut » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:26 pm

Capt

I'm no expert, so happy to be corrected, but I always thought a single malt was made from a single malt ...

I do have a bag of grain that I want to ferment with a Belgium Trappist yeast, just to see what it produces (I am hoping for the fruit esters to come through, but not overpower 8-} )
WicketNut

equipment: Copper T500, FSD 4" pot, 25 ltr boiler
100 ltr pro fsd boiler 4 bubble plates, gin baskets
8" inline thumper, not enough space

Postby TasSpirits » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:46 pm

This is the usual definition of Single Malt Whisky

Single malt whisky is malt whisky from a single distillery, that is, whisky distilled from fermented mash made exclusively with malted grain (usually barley), as distinguished from unmalted grain.

Single malts are typically associated with single malt Scotch, though they are also produced in various other countries.[1] Under Scotch Whisky Regulations, a "Single Malt Scotch Whisky" must be made exclusively from malted barley (although the addition of E150A caramel colouring is allowed), must be distilled using pot stills at a single distillery, and must be aged for at least three years in oak casks of a capacity not exceeding 700 litres (150 imperial gallons; 180 US gallons).[2][3] While the Scotch model is usually copied internationally, these constraints may not apply to whisky marketed as single malt that is produced elsewhere. For example, there is no definition of the term single with relation to whisky in the law of the United States, and some American whiskey advertised as single malt whisky is produced from malted rye rather than malted barley.[4]
TasSpirits

Postby WicketNut » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:31 pm

Cheers Tas

So does this mean that a single distillery could mash many different malt types, blend them and call them a Single Malt?

I hadn't turned my mind to mashing with specialty malt for whisky. Hmmmm ... :think: :think:
WicketNut

equipment: Copper T500, FSD 4" pot, 25 ltr boiler
100 ltr pro fsd boiler 4 bubble plates, gin baskets
8" inline thumper, not enough space

Postby Barridale » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:23 pm

Whiskey style: Single Malt, 100% Barley – this includes 6 different barley types which are Washington Pale Malt, Munich Malt, Extra Special Malt, Brown Malt, Pale Chocolate Malt and Scottish malt peated to the tune of 55ppm.

(Note: their standard mash bill consists of all the above malts sans the peated malt. Furthermore, the bulk of said mash bill is the Washington Pale Malt which is at approximately 70% of the bill)

Above is the grain bill of Westland distillery in Seattle Washington in the US.
These guys are renowned for thinking outside the box and also have some interesting aging techniques using regional oak.
Barridale

equipment: FSD Mac 4 SSG with 50L keg boiler

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:02 pm

Im about to do a Vienna and Cherry Smoked Malt just for something a bit different :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Postby Barridale » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:11 pm

I'd be interested to hear how that turns out Tas. Make sure you go deep into the tails to get the cherry smoked flavour to carry through. Means a bit more ageing but should be worth the wait.
I recently did one with vienna, munich and marris otter . Tasted good off the still. Was just a first strip run and will need to do another 2 60L mashes to strip before a spirit run through 4 plates. These will be marris otter and munich.
Barridale

equipment: FSD Mac 4 SSG with 50L keg boiler

Postby TasSpirits » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:49 pm

Barridale wrote:I'd be interested to hear how that turns out Tas. Make sure you go deep into the tails to get the cherry smoked flavour to carry through. Means a bit more ageing but should be worth the wait.
I recently did one with vienna, munich and marris otter . Tasted good off the still. Was just a first strip run and will need to do another 2 60L mashes to strip before a spirit run through 4 plates. These will be marris otter and munich.

I always plan for at least 2 years with a Single Malt, this grain is very smokey, and was very expensive. Im going to build a cold smoker and start smoking my own grain. Ive got some cherry wood that is almost seasoned, going to make some dominoes to age it on :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

Return to Recipe Development