Blue distillate after 2 litres

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Re: Blue distillate after 2 litres

Postby BPR2011 » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:16 pm

Not about this issue, but about the blue when adding carbonate to the wash.

Sodium Bicarbonate and turning into Sodium Carbonate:
Dissolving and stirring sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) in boiling water -> Na2CO3 (Sodium Carbonate) + CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) + H2O (Water)

Sodium Carbonate in the wash with DAP and why it turns to ammonia:
2(NH4)2HPO4 (Diammonium Phosphate) + 3Na2CO3 (Sodium Carbonate) -> 3CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) + 3H2O (Water) + 4NH3 (Ammonia Gas) + 2Na3PO4 (Trisodium Phosphate)

Trisodium Phosphate is a pretty good cleaner though haha.

No idea why it turns blue. A complex set of reactions leading to the formation of Schweizer's reagent?
BPR2011

equipment: Just getting started, minimal equipment at this stage. From cider and beer brewing background.

Re: Blue distillate after 2 litres

Postby Fusto » Wed May 19, 2021 2:01 pm

BPR2011 wrote:Not about this issue, but about the blue when adding carbonate to the wash.

Sodium Bicarbonate and turning into Sodium Carbonate:
Dissolving and stirring sodium bicarbonate (NaHCO3) in boiling water -> Na2CO3 (Sodium Carbonate) + CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) + H2O (Water)

Sodium Carbonate in the wash with DAP and why it turns to ammonia:
2(NH4)2HPO4 (Diammonium Phosphate) + 3Na2CO3 (Sodium Carbonate) -> 3CO2 (Carbon Dioxide) + 3H2O (Water) + 4NH3 (Ammonia Gas) + 2Na3PO4 (Trisodium Phosphate)

Trisodium Phosphate is a pretty good cleaner though haha.

No idea why it turns blue. A complex set of reactions leading to the formation of Schweizer's reagent?

I am so sorry, I just saw this reply now (Hiding on page 2).
Many thanks for the chemistry!
I am very glad that I decided to throw it out :-)
Fusto

equipment: T500 with reflux and alembic

Previous

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products