First run on a T500

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

First run on a T500

Postby Hull brew » Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:06 am

Thought I'd post this following my first run on a copper column T500.
Replaced the distillate output tube with a copper pipe. Looks much better for it !

My wash was a 25l sugar wash using Still Spirits turbo triple pack. Smelt a bit during fermentation, difficult to describe but definitely not as 'clean' as the TPW I've got on as my second attempt.
After a thorough clean of the T500 I poured in the wash.
I followed, generally, Doubleuj's proper way to run T500.
I was nervous about doing cuts, never having sniffed any before this but was reassured by advise on this site - 'you'll just know', and to my surprise found that yes, the start of the heads ad the end of the tails stink !. Smells getting more like neutral spirit the closer to the middle you get.
I am so glad I tried the cuts, Still Spirits say you can drink the lot (exc fores) , and you probably could. I chose not to. The fores are unforgettable and I found that I could smell acetone traces into the first 300ml. Great experience and a real pleasure. Anyroad, I made cuts every 150ml for 8 jars, then collected a litre, then another 7.5 jars at 150ml. I aired them for 24 hours.
I saved the middle litre and jars 6,7,8,10,11,& 12. To my untrained nose, they smealt like vodka.
I diluted to 40%, filtered through a carbon teabag - what a fuckabout. Dont intend doing that again.

I intended to use this as a sacrificial run but i the interest of science, decided to use up my essences and try it.

Top Shelf Gin - acceptable. I've had worse. No real depth of anything. Won't be using again unless I add some junipers after bottling.
Classics London Gin - Much better than the Top Shelf. I would stick with this if I didn't plan to improve my skills or invest in pot still mod.
Classics Navy Rum - drinkable but too sweet/spiced for me.
Classics Jamaicn Rum - not too bad at all. Lacking any true rum flavours, but with fresh OJ or a ginger ale I can't complain.

My thoughts are what do I do next?
I don't fancy running the T500 in water distillation mode to emulate a pot still, so will prob try infusing botanicals in neutral spirit to make a better gin than that from essences
After that then probably a copper alembic and condenser add on to the T500. Downside is I read that the condenser is too small. Power controller not a problem, but the condenser? Can't see any after market third party ones on sale, so might just work my way through learning as I go.
Bottom line - bloody good fun. Best day off work I've had for ages.
Hull brew

equipment: T500 copper column
2 inch pot still
Power controller
2kW boiler

Re: First run on a T500

Postby woodduck » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:28 am

Glad to hear it went well. Cuts will get easier with practice.

Good luck for the future :handgestures-thumbupleft:
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Professor Green » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:18 pm

Sounds like you had a good run.

As for gin, I'm not sure you'll be entirely happy with just steeping the herbs in neutral, it's easy to over do it and make a horribly bitter tasting mess.

The T500 pot condenser is indeed way too small and coupled with the copper dome is way too expensive for what it is. Might be holding off until you can find something a little better. Ordinarily I would suggest the 5 Star 2" pot as it's perfect for your T500 boiler but given you're in the UK I'm not sure that's a viable option. It really doesn't take much to knock a pot still up, and if you can't do it yourself, maybe you know someone that could discreetly do it for you if you sling them a couple of of beers.

Good luck with whichever way you choose to go.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby bluc » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:27 pm

Have a look at stubbys gin its macerated but you still need a pot to carry over flavour..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Hull brew » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:54 pm

Professor Green wrote:Sounds like you had a good run.

As for gin, I'm not sure you'll be entirely happy with just steeping the herbs in neutral, it's easy to over do it and make a horribly bitter tasting mess.

The T500 pot condenser is indeed way too small and coupled with the copper dome is way too expensive for what it is. Might be holding off until you can find something a little better. Ordinarily I would suggest the 5 Star 2" pot as it's perfect for your T500 boiler but given you're in the UK I'm not sure that's a viable option. It really doesn't take much to knock a pot still up, and if you can't do it yourself, maybe you know someone that could discreetly do it for you if you sling them a couple of of beers.

Good luck with whichever way you choose to go.

OK lesson learned, Save draft before preview :oops:

Many thanks for your input Prof.
The 5*2" pot still looks ideal for my anticipated upgrade. Stig did offer a quote for shipping but I guess it'll be horrendous. Perhaps after Brexit who knows? We might be desperate to increase trade with Oz!
I'm sure I have the skills to build one (welding aside) and can take inspiration from this beauty viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9212
What hardware did you use to make the connection to the copper dome? and as for the condenser, I've only managed to find small ones similar to that supplied by Still Spirit.
How happy were you with the finished product/end results?
Hull brew

2 inch pot still
Power controller
2kW boiler

Postby Hull brew » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:55 pm

bluc wrote:Have a look at stubbys gin its macerated but you still need a pot to carry over flavour..

Thanks Stuc, as you say, still need a still
Cheers
Steve
Hull brew

2 inch pot still
Power controller
2kW boiler

Postby Hull brew » Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:11 pm

woodduck wrote:Glad to hear it went well. Cuts will get easier with practice.

Good luck for the future :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers woodduck.
Got a TPW almost finished fermenting.
Can't wait for that hypnotic drip drip drip dribble
Hull brew

2 inch pot still
Power controller
2kW boiler

Postby Professor Green » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:53 am

Hull brew wrote:I'm sure I have the skills to build one (welding aside) and can take inspiration from this beauty http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=9212
What hardware did you use to make the connection to the copper dome? and as for the condenser, I've only managed to find small ones similar to that supplied by Still Spirit.

5 Star sell a screw-on "T500 Adapter" that fits the hole on the lid and has a 2" tri-clamp connection on the top. If you have a look around the pot still section of the site, there are numerous examples of a simple leibig made from off the shelf copper components. Also have a look for the threads on "Easy Flanges".

Hull brew wrote:How happy were you with the finished product/end results?

The results were an excellent flavourful gin.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products