Grey wash after using turbo clear

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Grey wash after using turbo clear

Postby doogie » Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:22 pm

Hi everyone

Just finished fermenting my first wash, Still Spirits Classic8 Yeast and 24 hours of Turbo clear. My was has come out a grey color, have I done something wrong or is this sometimes expected using these products. After reading about washes on here I'll be doing TPWs going forward but should I still run this through and use it as a cleaning run?

TIA

doogie
doogie

equipment: T500 with stainless steel column for neutral and homemade 2” copper column and Liebig condenser.

Re: Grey wash after using turbo clear

Postby RC Al » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:54 pm

Yeah, grey dont sound good... let it sit for a while longer, rack and then use it for the cleaning run. It may clear some more with time
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby doogie » Thu Aug 13, 2020 3:57 pm

Thanks Al, I've started running it, I thought it would at least be good for a cleaning run. No more Turbo Yeast for me, TPW tomorrow. I'm having a bit of trouble getting the flow right, my temp is sitting at around 36-39 c but it still seens to running too fast from what I've read. I'm going to be making gin in the end so do I need to worry about heads/hearts/tails during the first run?

doogie
doogie

equipment: T500 with stainless steel column for neutral and homemade 2” copper column and Liebig condenser.

Postby Tesla101 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:02 pm

Hey doogie.

Yep, welcome to the world of Turbo washes. I did the one that came with my T500 kit and it looked, smelled and tasted disgusting - just like yours.

Just use this run as a sacrificial and cleaning run. Use it as practice to make sure your cooling is adequate and teach yourself how to run it as per the Running a T500, the Proper Way thread in the Newbies Corner. This is the run to make sure everything will be good to go before you do a "stuff I'm going to drink" run.

I'd highly advise you don't drink any of it. Maybe practice your cuts by smelling it, but a TPW will smell and taste different anyway.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby doogie » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:29 pm

Hi Tesla

The first litre was coming out at 36c and took about an 90 minutes, then it slowed down considerably. I've upped the temp to 45c now and its drip drip dibbling.
doogie

Postby The Stig » Thu Aug 13, 2020 5:52 pm

Your outgoing water should be around 50-55
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby doogie » Thu Aug 13, 2020 6:16 pm

OK Stig, I've cranked it up again
doogie

Postby Tesla101 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:15 pm

doogie wrote:Hi Tesla

The first litre was coming out at 36c and took about an 90 minutes, then it slowed down considerably. I've upped the temp to 45c now and its drip drip dibbling.

Sounds perfect, just what mine does.

The Stig wrote:Your outgoing water should be around 50-55

Sorry Stig, I've found that if I run it that high during heads & hearts it will start smearing. I only run it that high when I start running into tails.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby doogie » Thu Aug 13, 2020 9:34 pm

Tesla101 wrote:
doogie wrote:Hi Tesla

Sounds perfect, just what mine does.

The Stig wrote:Your outgoing water should be around 50-55

Sorry Stig, I've found that if I run it that high during heads & hearts it will start smearing. I only run it that high when I start running into tails.

I cranked it up to 50 - 55 and the last 3 litres came out in about 3 hours i ended up with about 4.3 litres. It was about 7 hours in total. Now I don't know whether to throw it out as a cleaning run or give it a go as a gin, nothing to lose I suppose?
doogie

Postby scythe » Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:15 am

Definitely don't use it for gin.
You need quality hearts of hearts to use as a gin base.
Not turdbo rubbish.
Also never drink your cleaning run.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby doogie » Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:59 pm

scythe wrote:Definitely don't use it for gin.
You need quality hearts of hearts to use as a gin base.
Not turdbo rubbish.
Also never drink your cleaning run.

Thanks scythe, yeah no way I was drinking that. Very strong acetone smell as well so I guess I missed the cut for the heads? The tails were easier to find a real papery smell. I've got my first lot of TPW on now so I'll give it another go on the weekend.

doogie
doogie

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products