Blue Spirits

This area is for topics only related to home brew shop products for distilling, a place for the novice to use as a safe haven from the anti brew shop brigade.

Blue Spirits

Postby bundy » Sat May 21, 2011 9:42 am

had a packet of Prestige 8kg turbo yeast sitting in my cupboard for over 6months.and decided to use it. made up a wash 2 weeks ago,and distilled this morning, smell from wash wasn't great,started to distill surprise first 150ml deep blue, same colour as Windex window cleaner. next 500ml a fraction lighter in colour,but smells like ammonia knock your head of.the smell has gone right through the house.i stopped distilling and opened the boiler to find wash had gone thick like a thin soup and stink.
i was using my reflux still. first time using hbs yeast in 6 months.
has any one had same problem or any ideas.

the wash was clear
the spirits were 95avb at the parrot
bundy

equipment: Double reducer reflux still
pot still
both on 25lt electric boiler

Re: Blue Spirits

Postby R-sole » Sat May 21, 2011 12:12 pm

Caused by too low a ph in the wash. Akaline washes will make it blue.

If you do a search on Artisan Distiller you'll find a few threads with good info from Harry on the causes and the cures. The cures to fix it involve more chemical treatment and redistilling. If you didn't have a lot invested in it, i'd use it as Windex, wash your column and your packing and chalk it up to learning 8-)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Re: Blue Spirits

Postby bundy » Sat May 21, 2011 12:58 pm

Thanks 5Star will have a look at Artisan Distillers so i know next time if it happens,brew has been dispatched to the sugar cane out the back.could not stand the smell in the house.
thanks for info.
bundy

equipment: Double reducer reflux still
pot still
both on 25lt electric boiler

Return to Distillation for beginners using HBS products