Dedicated water tank and pump - advice needed!

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Re: Dedicated water tank and pump - advice needed!

Postby rvn » Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:38 am

scythe wrote:Sounds like the pump is not self priming.
Turn it off, suck enough water through the tube until it starts coming through the pump (your clear tubing will help greatly).
Then turn the pump on after you take the hose out of your mouth.
Then enjoy your water flow.

So you not sucking on the hose each time you might want to install the pump lower than the top surface of the water in your tank.
Make sure you have the suction line going through the wall of your water tank and not up and over the rim or you will have to siphon start it again next time you stop it.

You can also get manual priming bulbs that go in-line so your not sucking on the hose, but that is probably not the biggest issue as we are talking about water here.

Thanks scythe (and gravity) - that's done the trick! :clap:
rvn

equipment: FSD 2" Boka
FSD 2" Pot

Postby Hazy250 » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:34 pm

Totally agree needs to be primed which intails making sure theres no air in the line.
Hazy
Hazy250

equipment: Pot hand made copper

Postby rvn » Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:35 pm

scythe wrote:Sounds like the pump is not self priming.
Turn it off, suck enough water through the tube until it starts coming through the pump (your clear tubing will help greatly).
Then turn the pump on after you take the hose out of your mouth.
Then enjoy your water flow.

So you not sucking on the hose each time you might want to install the pump lower than the top surface of the water in your tank.
Make sure you have the suction line going through the wall of your water tank and not up and over the rim or you will have to siphon start it again next time you stop it.

You can also get manual priming bulbs that go in-line so your not sucking on the hose, but that is probably not the biggest issue as we are talking about water here.

So, I'm in a pickle with this pump folks....

Scythe appears to be exactly right about both priming (no issue as I have attached a priming bulb) but also, critically, the need for this thing to be gravity fed. The astute among you may recall that I'm the bloody genius trying to use the BATHTUB. x_x

IE this pump isn't doing the job - doesn't seem to have the power and I can't make my tub higher than the pump.

So - it's hang on to the pump and say goodbye to the bathroom (and enlist some containers) OR get something that will work in the tub.

I have a few ideas for configs for the former (drums / bic's etc) but i'm really interested in people's experience / recommendations with the latter. Ultimately, I'd love something that will comfortably recirculate the water UP out of the tub.

Honestly, even with the help of gravity I just can't see how this pump would have the power to force the water UP through the boka? (am i missing something?)

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers...

EDIT: maybe I bite the bullet and get the https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-350w-dirty-water-submersible-water-pump_p4816179
Last edited by rvn on Thu Oct 10, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rvn

FSD 2" Pot

Postby The Stig » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:04 pm

The idiot is a much better idea
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Professor Green » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:11 pm

The Stig wrote:The idiot is a much better idea

I think Stig means “the edit”!

Go with the submersible one. They’re used by a number of people here without issue.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby The Stig » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:29 pm

Sorry guys, I’m sure I typed the ozito :oops:
I’ll leave the above post in place as proof that I am human :laughing-rolling:
Last edited by The Stig on Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby rvn » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:40 pm

Thanks guys. The ozi it is then...
rvn

FSD 2" Pot

Postby rvn » Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:58 pm

rvn wrote:Thanks guys. The ozi it is then...

We don't reckon that 350W Oz @ 117 litres per minute will be too much grunt for my 5 star 2" Boka and bathtub?

I see Bunnings have a submersible 12V Bilge (another Oz) that'll do more like 28 lpm

https://ozito.com.au/products/12v-submersible-bilge-pump/

I'm yet to get to my sacrificial / cleaning run so really have no idea, but would like to avoid a double epic pump fail if at all possible.

Thanks again all!
rvn

FSD 2" Pot

Postby The Stig » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:06 pm

The ozito will be fine, mine runs 15m up to the top of the bubbler then 15m back to the pool
You could put a valve on it to restrict ??
Last edited by The Stig on Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby rvn » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:10 pm

The Stig wrote:The ozito will be fine, mine runs 15m up to the top of the bubbler then 15m back to the pool
You could put a valve on it to restrict ??

Yeah I was just reading back up the top of the thread - talk of using a "tee" on these - guessing that's jargon for a restricting valve??

EDIT:
Penny dropped. Literally a "T" joint to redirect some of the water back into the bath. Worse case I could use a T and valve ;)

Sounding good.

Cheers
Last edited by rvn on Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rvn

FSD 2" Pot

Postby bluc » Thu Oct 10, 2019 8:29 pm

Not a restricting valve it reduces pressure on pump. A tee one to still one straight back into tank under water level...I killed one of these in under 10mnths without the tee..
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Carol » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:26 am

I have the Ozito 350W running in the pool (on the second step not down the bottom). It is fine for the 2" Boka and pot. I recently put a connector on it that would allow two hoses. One goes to the still with a hose and the other outlet just squirts out into the pool. Still heaps of pressure to push it up for the still. I think there are photos of the first set up (single hose) on my FSD 2" boka thread.

Cheers
Carol
Carol
Mentor

equipment: Still Spirits Air Still
FSD 2" Boka (aka Boris)
FSD 2" pot still ( aka Natasha)

Postby P3T3rPan » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:37 am

A simple pump bypass (if your pump is too grunty)
Best to avoid a valve to restrict the flow cos pumps don't like that
pump bypass.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by P3T3rPan on Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby RC Al » Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:46 am

As Scythe said, its really all about the relative heights of the inlet and outlet.. prime the WHOLE system fully before turning it on and have enough feed hose to sit the pump on the floor next to to the tub below the water level, this is necessary if your using a low power pump

I use a 12w pump for mine, hooked up to a large water tank, runs through 30m of garden hose with a drop of about 2m, through my PC and back up to the tank and back in the overflow of the tank via another 30m of garden hose. Provided its lower than the top of the source, i get an effective head of 1-1.2m, if the pump is above the feed, i get next to zero head, and no it dosent work at all unless ive cleared the whole system of air. Provided the system is sealed and the air is all out, your still could be 100m above or below the pump and it will still work fine

I used to run a bypass on mine, sounds like i need to incorporate one back in...
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby rvn » Fri Oct 11, 2019 8:11 pm

Picked up the 350W Ozito and it's bloody PERFECT.

Thanks everybody!

:text-thankyoublue:

Cheers
rvn

FSD 2" Pot

Postby southern45 » Sat Oct 12, 2019 8:23 pm

Good to hear.

I set up my eBay hot water pump (see earlier post) today and it's ace too. Plenty of consistent flow pressure even on the low setting, pumping from ground level up around two metres high to the PC and RC of my four plate bubbler, then returning into the tank. Took a bit of work finding the right connectors and reducers at Bunnings to suit my pipe sizes. Will get some photos up later.

Hooked up to the base outlet of a 600L water tank though not a bathtub, hehehe! 8-}
southern45

equipment: Four plate 5-Star copper bubbler

Postby Windrow » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:51 pm

PeterC wrote:I also use an IBC with submersible pump. I do have problems with really long runs in summer or when doing multiple runs. I had a instant gas hot water die and so salvaged the copper heat exchanger from it and put the RC return through it with an old pedestal fan blowing across it. The return temperature to the tank went from over 70C to mid 30's.

Trying avoid cutting the top of my IBC container for fear of drop bears falling inside and drowning. Guess we call them raccoons here :-D I've pulled a couple out of 200L rain barrels that run to water livestock.

I was seeking a capable water pump that would fit through the factory circular opening without having to modify the tank.
Windrow

equipment: Wood fire, Blichmann Hellfire

Postby Ned » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:37 pm

rvn wrote:Hi all,

So my Seekco finally arrived after and I'm a little stumped after trying to set up a test from a small tub...

Assuming the flow runs left to right (there's a small black arrow on the front - you might just be able to see first pic below) I figured it would be a matter of submersing the inlet hose into the water, turning the power on and watching the water flow through the out pipe. Instead I just get a very low/faint hum and no sign of suction. I've checked that air flows through one end to the other and it seems like there should be sufficient suction and no leaks are present throughout.

Have I maybe buggered the thing up by not somehow getting (pumping) a flow of water into it's chamber first? (IE not dry running for even a split second?)

I have to say it's one elaborate set up by the time I could find enough reducers etc to fit, but I guess that might have been avoided via a plumbing store rather than diy @ bunnings :violence-smack:

Here's a few pics:

And this is the unit again:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/65L-Min-3-Speed-Solar-Hot-Water-Heating-System-Circulation-Booster-Pump-1-5-TOP-/112453512610

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers

Make sure you have water in the line, unscrew the stainless steel screw in the centre until water come out. From memory I think this is a bleeding screw (No pun intended)
Ned

equipment: 4" 4 Plate Bubbler with 500m packed section/blockhead and 50 litre milk can. Only the best.

Postby Professor Green » Sun Dec 01, 2019 5:20 pm

Windrow wrote:
PeterC wrote:I also use an IBC with submersible pump. I do have problems with really long runs in summer or when doing multiple runs. I had a instant gas hot water die and so salvaged the copper heat exchanger from it and put the RC return through it with an old pedestal fan blowing across it. The return temperature to the tank went from over 70C to mid 30's.

Trying avoid cutting the top of my IBC container for fear of drop bears falling inside and drowning. Guess we call them raccoons here :-D I've pulled a couple out of 200L rain barrels that run to water livestock.

I was seeking a capable water pump that would fit through the factory circular opening without having to modify the tank.

You could always use an external pump connected to a drain hole in the IBC. If it requires priming, sit it below the base level of the IBC and let gravity work it's magic.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby RC Al » Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:31 pm

Search for a Submersible pond pump
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

PreviousNext

Return to Hardware Research & Development