Dedicated water tank and pump - advice needed!

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Dedicated water tank and pump - advice needed!

Postby southern45 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:41 pm

I've been cooling my 5 Star bubbler using the bore water pump on my property. It's very much overkill, costs a bomb to run and isn't quite consistent enough to keep the flow rate nice and even. I'm on tank water here, but the house tank is too far away from my gear. I'd like to have a dedicated recirculating water supply and pump just for the still.

- I've got a 600-ish litre water tank spare. Is that enough water? My runs are no longer than 5 hours.

- What sort of pump do I need? Submersible? I have no idea here...

Any other advice on rigging it up or share photos of their water supply setups? :-B Thanks!
southern45

equipment: Four plate 5-Star copper bubbler

Re: Dedicated water tank and pump - advice needed!

Postby mattyb » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:52 pm

I was in the same boat. Yep 600 litres should be fine if you are in a colder area. I just put a ozito submersible pump in my 1000 litre ibc and recirculate through it. One hose to the still then tee off to the pc and rc with an inline plastic valve to regulate flow to the pc. Then the other line back to the tank. I can do 7 hrs without issue on this
mattyb

equipment: 4" Glasser

Postby coffe addict » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:19 pm

I have an ibc and a cheap solar hot water pump. Only 65w for about $65 they pump more than you'll ever need. They have three flow rates and I've never needed it on high.
It's had 2.5yrs of hard work and pumping like new, they are also rated to 120c so also great as a hot dunder pump to empty the boiler if you can't use gravity.
Last edited by coffe addict on Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby PeterC » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:09 pm

I also use an IBC with submersible pump. I do have problems with really long runs in summer or when doing multiple runs. I had a instant gas hot water die and so salvaged the copper heat exchanger from it and put the RC return through it with an old pedestal fan blowing across it. The return temperature to the tank went from over 70C to mid 30's.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby southern45 » Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:54 pm

Thanks!

I found a 350W submersible pump at Bunnings. It's the lowest power 240V one I've seen so far, but still pumps 7000L/hour max, this seems a bit overkill to me!

Is there a lower power one? Or can I just run it through my 5 Star power controller at like 50% and it'll be sweet?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-350w-dirty-water-submersible-water-pump_p4816179

:geek:
southern45

Postby Sam. » Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:08 pm

southern45 wrote:Thanks!

I found a 350W submersible pump at Bunnings. It's the lowest power 240V one I've seen so far, but still pumps 7000L/hour max, this seems a bit overkill to me!

Is there a lower power one? Or can I just run it through my 5 Star power controller at like 50% and it'll be sweet?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/ozito-350w-dirty-water-submersible-water-pump_p4816179

They are great pumps.

Tee off the outlet and run one back to the tank so there’s no back pressure then have the one running to your still with a valve if your worried about the flow rate.
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Chocko6969 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:51 am

Sam. wrote:
southern45 wrote:Thanks!

They are great pumps.

Tee off the outlet and run one back to the tank so there’s no back pressure then have the one running to your still with a valve if your worried about the flow rate.

What Sam said :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I've got one of these: https://www.orangepumps.com.au/index.ph ... sp100.html
only because I didn't want to cut the top of the IBC and have access to cost price on these too. The tee is important because I'm guessing with most home set ups there's not a lot of head height so it's probably trying to push more water than it can, tee eases the pressure.

Chocko
Chocko6969

equipment: Bubbler now operational!

Postby coffe addict » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:57 am

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/65L-Min-3-S ... 2453512610

More than adequate. I require lots more knock-down power than most and have no issues!
coffe addict

equipment: 18 gal keg boiler on its side on wheel's with fill port, 1in drain and 2x2.4kw elements
4in 5 plate modular blockhead with optional infusion basket

Postby db1979 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:18 pm

The one coffe posted looks pretty damn good. I've always used water feature pumps and I think slower pumps have merit. Less pressure means slower flow and means your RC valve can operate over a wider range. Some have had to run needle valves on their bubblers instead of cheaper gate valves, I wonder if a slower pump in the initial setup would have avoided the problem for those bubbler users.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby southern45 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:04 pm

Brilliant. I'm going to order one of those eBay pumps. Thanks again everyone, gotta love the knowledge here! :handgestures-thumbupleft:
southern45

Postby Turrets » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:49 pm

Guys can you help a beginner out. I read this thread and bought the listed ebay pump. I've no idea how to use it with my garden hose system, the connectors on this pump are 50mm. What are you using as an adaptor, or are you using separate pipework? Ideally, I'd like to use my hosepipe system.
Turrets

equipment: Alcoengine reflux (FM)

Postby mattyb » Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:00 am

Take it to Bunnings and ask someone, they will help you out or a plumbing shop. There are heaps of adapters there
mattyb

equipment: 4" Glasser

Postby db1979 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 12:24 pm

mattyb wrote:Take it to Bunnings and ask someone, they will help you out or a plumbing shop. There are heaps of adapters there

:text-+1:
Bunnings will have a number of options that will work, either in the irrigation section (where they keep the pumps) or in the garden watering section. Both ranges go up to 1 1/2" bsp.
db1979

equipment: Eve - 4" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (sieve plates), 330 mm packed section on a keg boiler with 2 x 2000 W elements.
Currently having a makeover: 2" x 4 plate solid state bubbler (1" bubble caps, no sight glasses...maybe not for much longer!) on a bain-marie boiler.

Postby rvn » Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:16 am

coffe addict wrote:https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/65L-Min-3-Speed-Solar-Hot-Water-Heating-System-Circulation-Booster-Pump-1-5-TOP-/112453512610

More than adequate. I require lots more knock-down power than most and have no issues!

Just bumping to say thanks from another noob - I have one of these on the way now. Cheers
rvn

equipment: FSD 2" Boka
FSD 2" Pot

Postby Hazy250 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:51 am

Yeah i use a 100 litre esky and a submersible pond pump from bunnings works a treat.
If the water starts warming up after a while i just chuck a frozen 3litre milk bottle in it
Hazy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Hazy250

equipment: Pot hand made copper

Postby rvn » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:23 am

Hazy250 wrote:Yeah i use a 100 litre esky and a submersible pond pump from bunnings works a treat.
If the water starts warming up after a while i just chuck a frozen 3litre milk bottle in it
Hazy

Nice!

I'll be running through a bathtub at this stage. Don't have a lot of freezer space to organise ice but reckon i could manage a couple of milk bottles, just. Cheers
rvn

FSD 2" Pot

Postby Hazy250 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:37 am

Sorry forgot to mension make the return flow have some air time it really keeps it cooler longer
Hazy250

equipment: Pot hand made copper

Postby rvn » Fri Sep 27, 2019 4:01 pm

Hazy250 wrote:Sorry forgot to mension make the return flow have some air time it really keeps it cooler longer

Thanks for the tip Hazy, will do - if Aus Post ever manage to get the thing to me. Cheers
rvn

FSD 2" Pot

Postby rvn » Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:13 pm

Hi all,

So my Seekco finally arrived after and I'm a little stumped after trying to set up a test from a small tub...

Assuming the flow runs left to right (there's a small black arrow on the front - you might just be able to see first pic below) I figured it would be a matter of submersing the inlet hose into the water, turning the power on and watching the water flow through the out pipe. Instead I just get a very low/faint hum and no sign of suction. I've checked that air flows through one end to the other and it seems like there should be sufficient suction and no leaks are present throughout.

Have I maybe buggered the thing up by not somehow getting (pumping) a flow of water into it's chamber first? (IE not dry running for even a split second?)

I have to say it's one elaborate set up by the time I could find enough reducers etc to fit, but I guess that might have been avoided via a plumbing store rather than diy @ bunnings :violence-smack:

Here's a few pics:

And this is the unit again:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/65L-Min-3-Speed-Solar-Hot-Water-Heating-System-Circulation-Booster-Pump-1-5-TOP-/112453512610

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers
rvn

FSD 2" Pot

Postby scythe » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:37 am

Sounds like the pump is not self priming.
Turn it off, suck enough water through the tube until it starts coming through the pump (your clear tubing will help greatly).
Then turn the pump on after you take the hose out of your mouth.
Then enjoy your water flow.

So you not sucking on the hose each time you might want to install the pump lower than the top surface of the water in your tank.
Make sure you have the suction line going through the wall of your water tank and not up and over the rim or you will have to siphon start it again next time you stop it.

You can also get manual priming bulbs that go in-line so your not sucking on the hose, but that is probably not the biggest issue as we are talking about water here.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Next

Return to Hardware Research & Development