My first build...

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Re: My first build...

Postby chipboy » Tue Jul 14, 2020 8:26 pm

And get onto flea bay where citric is cheap, I am lusting over 1 kg of it for less than $20.
chipboy

equipment: 50 litre keg, insulated and 4 plates at 4 inch.

Postby Rumblepants » Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:07 am

Sam. wrote:
5% Citric acid solution in hot water will do the trick

Thanks heaps!
Rumblepants

equipment: 2inch CCVM 50L Keg Boiler

Postby Stryda » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:01 pm

Hey Rumblepants, sorry mate I haven’t been on here in a while but what Sam said, 5% should do it, I didn’t really measure it out when I did it but it would of been at least 5%. I looked around and ended up finding it at The Source Bulk Foods for about $6 per kilo. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Stryda

equipment: 50ltr keg boiler with 2 x 2400watt FSD elements.
Modular 2” CCVM and 2” Pot Still.
4” 5 Plate Glasser

Postby Stryda » Sun Sep 06, 2020 1:06 pm

WhiskeySour wrote:I'm also building something similar, it seems Lesgold has inspired a few of us!
Reading this post has given me a kick in the arse to get mine finished, hit a brick wall on 1/4in for my easy flanges and the condenser coil. Going to have to do some digging

Hey Whiskey, did you find any 1/4inch yet? I got a coil off eBay for a good price, I’ll see if I can find the link and pm it to you if you want?
Stryda

4” 5 Plate Glasser

Postby WhiskeySour » Mon Sep 07, 2020 7:59 am

G'day Stryda. Thanks for the offer, I ended up finding a Tradelink that would cut and sell by the metre so I didn't have to buy the full 30m roll. He gave me trade price too so it worked out reasonable, although still probably the most expensive part of my build!
Got enough to make all my easy flanges and have about 3.5m left for the coil which I am yet to make (have just been running cfw in pot mode for now)
WhiskeySour

equipment: 50L keg boiler, 2x 2200w
2" copper pot still
CCVM head, 1m column

Postby dalethewhale » Sun Jan 03, 2021 11:05 am

G'day Stryda,

A little late but, Could you elaborate a little on the heating elements you installed please?

Type, Wattage, the fitting of them, the leads, the circuit considerations of your house. Your mum's maiden name... you know the usual.
Thanks in advance,
Whale
dalethewhale

equipment: Air still !!!

Postby tacman1970 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:11 pm

Thanks for the great details Stryda! I'm in process of building a CCVM and I reckon you answered about 5 issues I am having just by the photos and commentary of your build process!!
tacman1970
Site Donor

equipment: modular 2" CCVM, on a 50l keg boiler
plus an airstill

Postby tacman1970 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:19 pm

Stryda, how much 1/4" tubing did you need for your RC? I've got plenty (30m) but can't find anywhere that gives a reasonable detail on the length required. I'm building a CCVM like you and the best guess I've come up with is somewhere around 6 - 7m of tubing.
tacman1970
Site Donor

plus an airstill

Postby Stryda » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:42 pm

tacman1970 wrote:Stryda, how much 1/4" tubing did you need for your RC? I've got plenty (30m) but can't find anywhere that gives a reasonable detail on the length required. I'm building a CCVM like you and the best guess I've come up with is somewhere around 6 - 7m of tubing.

Hi mate, I can’t quite remember the exact amount but I think you’re pretty much on the money. If you have that much it shouldn’t be an issue, allow a bit more than you think you need and make your coils. You can always cut off the excess.
Stryda

4” 5 Plate Glasser

Postby B-Man » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:29 pm

Stryda wrote:when the 4" fill port was welded on it warped slightly, enough for it to leak. I found it when I sealed it up and flipped it to acid bath the welds. Took it back to the guy that welded it for me and he managed to get it pretty flat, enough for it to seal up with an extra crank on the clamp. Don't think I'll be able to put a sight glass on that one though.

I wrapped the seal for my sight glass in some plumbers tape and that sealed it up for me. maybe worth a shot...?
Last edited by B-Man on Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
B-Man

equipment: keg 4" Bubbler

Postby tacman1970 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:18 am

Stryda wrote:
tacman1970 wrote:Stryda, how much 1/4" tubing did you need for your RC? I've got plenty (30m) but can't find anywhere that gives a reasonable detail on the length required. I'm building a CCVM like you and the best guess I've come up with is somewhere around 6 - 7m of tubing.

Hi mate, I can’t quite remember the exact amount but I think you’re pretty much on the money. If you have that much it shouldn’t be an issue, allow a bit more than you think you need and make your coils. You can always cut off the excess.

Thanks for the confirmation Stryda! Looks like I've got another thing to do this weekend :-D :-D
tacman1970
Site Donor

plus an airstill

Previous

Return to Hardware Research & Development