Copper wire for packing

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Copper wire for packing

Postby stillthinking » Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:21 pm

If I can get a large quantity of heavy duty multi strand electrical cabling that can also have its insulation removed. This stuff is electrical sub mains cabling and is about as thick as your thumb and made up of many stand of finer wire.

Could this be “birdsnested” and used as column packing? Would obviously need to be cleaned well.
stillthinking

equipment: Stillthinking about it

Re: Copper wire for packing

Postby Chocko6969 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:23 pm

Can't see why not if it's pure copper. If it was me I'd separate the strands as much as possible, soak in citric acid twice (fresh batch of citric each time and stir often), and then put a sac run through 2 or 3 times with it packed in your column (vinegar then sac alcohol twice). This is just what I'd do just to make sure.

Chocko
Chocko6969

equipment: Bubbler now operational!

Re: Copper wire for packing

Postby RC Al » Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:34 pm

Have a search for SPP or spiral prismatic packing

Basically wind a bunch of copper wire around a former to make spirals/springs, lotsa stuffing around, but it seems to work well in the smaller diameter columns

or do much the same and then knit some chainmail with it (you will hate me by the end of it though lols)
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Return to Hardware Research & Development