Modifying an Alcoengine boiler

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Modifying an Alcoengine boiler

Postby Brazy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:45 pm

Hi Guys,

I've bought a 65L boiler (yes I know should have built a keg boiler) and have been reading that it isn't really possible to put a controller on the power circuit for more accurately heat control. My question is, is I think possible to retrofit into the boiler with a power control on it? That way it would have 7100w with both for heating and then just the 3600w with controller for the runs.

My concern I see that the wall of the boiler isn't very thick but not sure if that is that much of an issue anyway.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers
Brazy

equipment: Looking to get into an entry level reflux still after getting into distilling with an air still from the father in law.

Re: Modifying an Alcoengine boiler

Postby The Stig » Wed Sep 02, 2020 7:58 pm

If your thinking of using the KL power controller ? Don’t , they are 10amp not 15amp that the 3600W elements are
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Re: Modifying an Alcoengine boiler

Postby Brazy » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:30 pm

Haven't looked too far into a particular controller at this point just wanting to know whether it's a good idea to add the extra element or not. Was going to get whatever setup most people are running for keg boilers in terms of element and controller combo if I'm to go ahead with it.
Brazy

equipment: Looking to get into an entry level reflux still after getting into distilling with an air still from the father in law.

Return to Hardware Research & Development