Alternative Fill Port Ideas

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Alternative Fill Port Ideas

Postby Offline » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:33 pm

I want a fill port on my boiler, but don't want to actually go through the process of fitting one.
Here is what i'm thinking of adding instead.
Let me know what you think (pro's - con's) or if there is some easier way that i just haven't thought of or seen yet.
Cheers Off'y.

i already have a 4" fitting on my boiler so i was thinking:

Tee and elbow.jpg

This would probably add the least height to by setup. i would have to check that it clears the chime or cut some of the chime away which is not really an issue.
or

Y type.jpg

The Y type spliter might be cheaper but taller? however not as readily available in Aus i believe?

There are similar 2" ones of the Y spliter that have a 4" strainer in/on them. i have no idea on cost or availability of these ones either.

Y type strainer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

equipment: Pot still

Re: Alternative Fill Port Ideas

Postby bluc » Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:44 pm

Yep will work fine. Seen it done few times round the web. I vote for y one.
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Jul 02, 2021 6:23 pm

The easiest way to do this would be grab a short length of 4" and put 2 easy flanges on, then if you don't have one buy a 3" holesaw and make a 3" fill port. Use the hole saw to drill a hole in the 4" then get a block of wood and use the holesaw again to drill a hole thru the wood. Then cut a slot in the wood so when the 3" is put thru the hole it can be clamped and use the holesaw to cut the male part of the 3". Make damn sure everything is clamped tight and go slow on cutting, this will give a neat fit for soft soldering too then buy a 45 degree fitting and make a easy flange on a short length of 3" and either make or just buy blanking cap from 5 star.

Going for a Y connection is another kettle of fish where a few more beers and a few drams of my pot stilled single malt to come up with a method may be needed :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby scythe » Mon Jul 05, 2021 10:56 am

How do you fill your boiler?
Pump or pouring buckets?

Could get away with a 1.5" or 2" fill port if using a pump.
Same in theory just smaller holes to make.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Return to Hardware Research & Development