RAPT Pill review (wifi enabled hydrometer)

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

RAPT Pill review (wifi enabled hydrometer)

Postby R3dRanga » Fri Dec 16, 2022 4:52 pm

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've been on this forum. Distilling took a backseat to life for the past 6-8 months, but I’m firing up again.

I recently purchased a couple of RAPT pills from KegLand and wanted to share my findings (paying it back after all the awesome advice I've received here).

WHAT IS IT?
A floating, waterproof WiFi enabled capsule that sits in your fermenter, collects data (via wifi) at increments and provides info (via app).

HOW DOES IT WORK?
Once setup, you insert (float it) in your fermenter and it collects data every X minutes (adjustable increments set in config) and sends it to your RAPT account (free to setup) via WiFi. The rechargeable battery (apparently) goes for months.

WHAT DATA DOES IT PROVIDE?
It logs and graphs gravity, temp, estimated ABV, estimated sugar consumption and battery level.

HOW HARD IS IT TO SETUP/CONFIGURE?
Personally, I'd say relatively straight forward, but I'm pretty tech savvy. In saying that, I had issues with connecting my 2nd pill, but after many hours worked out the simple issue and fix. If you don’t like tech and like to keep things old school, I’d say don’t bother.

HOW MUCH IS IT?
About $70 AUD - only from KegLand (it's a KegLand product).

IS IT PERFECT?
No, it’s far from perfect. The app has minor glitches occasionally; however, it’s mostly stable and the glitches are generally brief. As a web/app developer, I’d say the setup and app is a little bit clunky and not super intuitive but there’s easy to follow videos and I’m sure it will improve over time.

SHOULD I RUSH OUT AND BUY ONE?
Not necessarily. It’s a gadget. I’m sure the experienced distillers know through experience (probably without testing) when their wash is ready to run. If you like gadgets and are pretty techy, I'd consider it.

IS IT WORTH IT?
I think so, but others may disagree. $70 for a pill… $10 for a hydrometer.
If you’re unsure and in no hurry, it might even be worth holding off until the next generation is launched. I’m just guessing/assuming this will happen (zero fact involved). Purchasing beyond 2nd generation nearly always delivers much improved products and tech.

MY FINAL REVIEW
I love it because I’m into tech toys, I’m relatively new to distilling and I track/record everything. I love data. I’ve also accidentally dropped 3 hydrometers in 12 months (tiled floors are unforgiving).

TIPS IF BUYING ONE:
  • They only connect via 2.4Ghz wifi and the router/access point needs to be as close as possible. If you’ve got an old router and the know-how you can (like I did) setup a wifi extended or access point right next to the fermenter.
  • On setup there’s a step where you enter the pill’s MAC address. Don’t manually add the “-“ (dash). The system will auto populate. Just type the MAC digits. This cost me several hours of frustration.
  • Make sure the pill is fully charged before use – 24 hours. If the battery indictor on the app shows 0% you can either put it back on charge or ignore and charge it before 2nd use. It has no effect on its operation. The 2nd charge must reset it.
  • There are good video tutorials on setup and tips. Watch them first before you configure.

Post if you have any questions.

Happy distilling!
R3dRanga

equipment: Spirit Maker Reflux, 30L boiler
4L Airstill (teenie!)

Re: RAPT Pill review (wifi enabled hydrometer)

Postby RuddyCrazy » Fri Dec 16, 2022 5:39 pm

So IOT is trying to make it's way into a age old craft :laughing-rolling:

Honestly not sure how many nerds we have on this forum now for folk like Wellsy and myself included a complete howto with plenty of pic's so us plebs can learn only if we want to but that IOT is creeping into everything.

Cheers Bryan
RuddyCrazy
Mentor

equipment: 4" copper bubbler with a setup for Neutral and a thumper for Whisky and my old 5 litre pot for doing maceration runs and MiniMe the baby pot still

Postby The Stig » Fri Dec 16, 2022 6:38 pm

100% nerd here but I still prefer the finger dip :-B
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby Wellsy » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:56 pm

Just brought one of these myself last week, it is my birthday gift from the missus next year.

Mainly got it for my beer brewing as it is far more finicky than spirits. Signal strength might be an issue in the shed and I have no idea how an extender works, only just figured out how extension leads work, but figure I will cross that bridge next month when setting it up.
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby Wellsy » Fri Dec 16, 2022 7:56 pm

Meant to also say we have missed you red and welcome back
Wellsy

equipment: FSD 4” Modular Pot Still plus 4 FSD Bubble plates on FSD 50 ltr Milk Can Boiler + 2 x 2400W FSD Element and Guard Kits

Postby R3dRanga » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:45 pm

100% nerd here but I still prefer the finger dip

Funny you should say that Stig. I opened a fermentor today and was hit with that glorious, very distinctive "ready to run" smell and immediately through: why bother with the tech when you just know. For those who prefer to use senses rather than metrics, I can see how it would not be at all appealing to replace that with tech. Perhaps the RAPT pill would more useful/desirable in brewing and for distillers (like me) who love to log everything and like to graph progress over time?

Just brought one of these myself last week, it is my birthday gift from the missus next year.

I'd be curious to hear your review Wellsy. Are you using the pill in isolation or with the temp hub thingy (?)

Signal strength might be an issue in the shed and I have no idea how an extender works, only just figured out how extension leads work, but figure I will cross that bridge next month when setting it up.

A wired/ethernet extender from your main router is always the best option (and usually easier to setup), but if that's not practical there are pretty cheap (plug into a power point) wifi repeater options these days - esp for the old 2.4ghz. My local computer retailer had a $30-40 dollar option that was pretty easy to setup. I don't think OfficeWorks, JB and other major tech retailers have good low cost options, but perhaps try a smaller retailer. Any old router will do the trick but you'll need a nerd to set it up. It's hard to offer remote support but reach out if there's anything I can help with.

Meant to also say we have missed you red and welcome back

Oh shucks. Thanks so much Wellsy. In addition to the usually busy life (raising teen boys and running a business), I've been distracted with fostering rescue dogs. I'm a sucker for a pooch in need and hopeless at saying no. I had washes ready to run for about 4-5 months, which I finally got around to a couple of weeks ago.

In between all that I've been chipping away at refining my "distilling station" setup - which has been fun. I have re-purposed a wide tallboy as a 4x fermenter cupboard (ripped out the drawer racks, lined and added pallet doors). It also has internal power for heat belts and wifi extender. Plus I've developed a very simple but effective recycled water cooling solution using cordial bottles with pin holes, pvc pipe, a cheap fan and a water tank. It's nearly there (just a few more tweaks).

I've just acquired a 2" Boka that arrived last week. After days of polishing and repacking with loads of brand new copper mesh I did a maiden run today (stripping run on a sugar wash). Not perfect, but happy with the first attempt.

It's great to be back!
R3dRanga

4L Airstill (teenie!)

Postby bluc » Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:46 pm

I went open source with ispindle same thing. And love it can see it house see whats happening in shed. Dont use it for accurate readings just an indicator of a finished ferment :handgestures-thumbupleft:
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby Drip Drip Dribble » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:20 pm

Does this pills reading go far enough to read for spirits as most information is for brewing beer.
Drip Drip Dribble

equipment: Still Spirits T500, Reflux & Stainless column filter

Postby Wellsy » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:36 pm

Billyg all our wash’s are essentially beer before we distill them.

They are just beers that we would not necessarily drink :)
Wellsy

Postby R3dRanga » Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:44 pm

Here's an iphone screen shot as an example of a current wash (for spirits). Not a great example as the initial temp was not only too warm, but I think (and hope) the reading was a bit off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
R3dRanga

4L Airstill (teenie!)

Postby Drip Drip Dribble » Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:15 pm

Thanks for this, I did buy one and have it in my first TPW
Drip Drip Dribble

Postby Drip Drip Dribble » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:54 pm

Wellsy wrote:Billyg all our wash’s are essentially beer before we distill them.

They are just beers that we would not necessarily drink :)

Cheers for this, I bought one
Drip Drip Dribble

Postby Hun_Palinka » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:59 pm

I wonder if it would work in a mash that is fermenting on the grain? Or is it for clear liquids only?
Cheers
Hun_Palinka

equipment: 35L Copper still & 50L SS milkcan

Postby RC Al » Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:51 am

It should work fine
At worst even if the reading is off, it will tell you when its stopped.
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby peter01010101 » Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:02 am

Hun_Palinka wrote:I wonder if it would work in a mash that is fermenting on the grain?

It could potentially give you a bit of a skewed reading. The pill establishes the SG by the angle at which it floats on the surface of the wort. Anything reasonably solid floating on the surface will change the angle of the pill giving a false reading. Even beers with a heavy krausen will throw off the readings so I imagine that any mash that develops a 'cap' will cause problems.

Works fine with a reasonably clear wash. Attached is the Brewfather graph from a recent WBAB wash. The red line is the SG the blue line is the temp. I know the temp looks a tad warm, but I fermented with Kveik yeast which likes it hot.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by peter01010101 on Sun Feb 12, 2023 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
peter01010101

equipment: 4" 4 plate glasser - 2" 'Pelican' Pot - 2" Carter Head gin rig - 2" LM reflux.
50L keg boiler with 2200w weldless element - Mangrove Jacks 25L electric boiler.
Air Still mini still (which I still use regularly)
All grain beer brewing setup.

Postby Hun_Palinka » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:53 am

peter01010101 wrote:
Hun_Palinka wrote:I wonder if it would work in a mash that is fermenting on the grain?

It could potentially give you a bit of a skewed reading. The pill establishes the SG by the angle at which it floats on the surface of the wort. Anything reasonably solid floating on the surface will change the angle of the pill giving a false reading. Even beers with a heavy krausen will throw off the readings so I imagine that any mash that develops a 'cap' will cause problems.

Works fine with a reasonably clear wash. Attached is the Brewfather graph from a recent WBAB wash. The red line is the SG the blue line is the temp. I know the temp looks a tad warm, but I fermented with Kveik yeast which likes it hot.

Thank you,
I found on homedistiller forum that someone used a hops basket to make space for clear liquid , ill look further into that. :-B
Hun_Palinka

equipment: 35L Copper still & 50L SS milkcan

Return to Hardware Research & Development