Glass tube packed columns

This area is to be used for submitting plans, referencing and conversations related to building stills and accessories.

Postby snapperhead » Sat May 25, 2013 4:59 pm

I was pondering the thermal efficiency/insulation side of packed columns, and whether having an outer column that wasn't so good at losing heat, would make a positive difference. Which got me wondering if using a large diameter pyrex tube as the packed column would help (added to the standard insulation) in the overall efficiency of the packed column ?

Having said that, I fully understand that sourcing such a tube and making an exoskeleton structure to hold it, would be challenging. I was thinking from more of a practical theory kind of way.

Glass sucks at thermal transfer compared to other usable materials on offer for vapour safe conditions, but can that help in this scenario ?

Does reducing heat loss in the packed column, any column for that matter, help ?
snapperhead

equipment: Currently building an artisan copper alembic pot of approx 60 litres. more planned, but first things first.

Re: Glass tube packed columns

Postby bt1 » Sat May 25, 2013 5:33 pm

Howdy,

glass is very easy to use for column...see my glass still thread...it's also readily available as well in a mass of sizes and wall thicknesses.
it's a very simple gasketted retainer plate at each end using external tie rods and your done.

For a packed section a better insulating mtl. would make perfect sense.

For the still itself from what I can see each weekend the main point of natural reflux is the RC up to turndown point and that's always in metal(so far).

So yeah I can run about 1/3 the heat which is a bonus due to glass column and shroud but it doesn't resolve the fall back from RC up...top plate gets a fair hammering from this actually it's really rather surprising to watch.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Dominator » Thu May 30, 2013 9:14 am

Reading your post again bt1, do you think it would be worth insulating above the RC up to the turn down point to reduce the natural reflux?
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Kimbo » Thu May 30, 2013 1:02 pm

Dominator wrote:Reading your post again bt1, do you think it would be worth insulating above the RC up to the turn down point to reduce the natural reflux?

Not really needed mate, they work just fine without any inso. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby bt1 » Thu May 30, 2013 1:36 pm

Howdy,

Dom your right if I was purist and chasing output i most certainly would insulate.

I can drive it harder as a alternative but refuse to do so cos i reckon it will smear.

+1 kimbo said I'm getting upward of 3.75lt - 4.25lt per hour and it's about the right run time to enjoy it....it's simple time, spot of lunch, an ale, a read and rather rewarding watching the parrot spit it out....

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Return to Hardware Research & Development